Spoke Prep - cheap replacement

Yah, but the damn thing costs $80 or some such & I think it just
doubled in the last year or so. If the best 3rd hand (Hozan not Park,
IMHO) costs $20 how can it be worth more that $30? I'd like to try one
on Laser spokes, but not 80 bucks worth.
I'm going to try a 3rd hand tool, or make one. John

Jobst
I believe somewhere in an earlier post you mentioned using a rigid
stand that allows you to side load a wheel @ high tension. What kind to
truing stand is that? I doubt that a TS 2 is stiff enough.
Thanks, John

John Dudley Dorite writes:

> I believe somewhere in an earlier post you mentioned using a rigid
> stand that allows you to side load a wheel @ high tension. What kind
> to truing stand is that? I doubt that a TS 2 is stiff enough.

For the track wheels that I built that required this treatment, I
built the wheels in my bicycle frame. It is strong enough so that I
can pull the rim toward the side in question. I also did that on a
cast iron truing stand the way they were in bicycle shops long ago.
I'm no enthusiast for wheels with few and extra thin spokes.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]