Standover height

SunBurnt

Jun 12, 2004
Just bought a Trek 1400, 54cm size
its top tube is about 2 cm below my crotch (with my shoes on)

Is this a correct allowance?

Else I can go back to the LBS and get it changed to a 52cm size model.

SunBurnt said:

There is no absolute number. If you have adeqate standover,then TT length and comfort and reach to the bars is more imortant, and even that can be twaked a bit with stem changes.

SunBurnt said:

Yeah, as said, that's really not the way to determine the best sized frame for you. You should get the LBS to bikefit you. There's then a number of parameters you can play with, such as crank length, stem length, seat post height, saddle position - not to mention a size up or down in the frame.

I'd frown on buying a prebuilt bike with generic choices for the variables, using only standover height and seat post adjustment for the determining factor for the sale. The shop probably wont wish to swap out a stem if you need a different length, given its a pre-built bike - but at least make them fit you with a bikefit kit and see what happens. Maybe they would if they wont otherwise make the sale. You'll at least know what your ideals are given your build and you can then decide if you want to buy the pre-built bike, in which frame size, and you'll have a list of anything you might one day wish/need to replace for optimization.

boudreaux said:
There is no absolute number. If you have adeqate standover,then TT length and comfort and reach to the bars is more imortant, and even that can be twaked a bit with stem changes.

This is another area I am seeking advise on, reach and comfort.

I have a shorter upper body, so I feel a bit stretched out reaching for the bar. I am NOT going to race and I do NOT really like to be in an agressive riding posture.

Should I...
Get a shorter stem? Staying put with the 54cm size
or
Heck, exchange for a 52cm size instead?

With a previous agreement during the purchase, my LBS will allow me to swap size if I need to :D :D How nice eh?

SunBurnt said:
This is another area I am seeking advise on, reach and comfort.

I have a shorter upper body, so I feel a bit stretched out reaching for the bar. I am NOT going to race and I do NOT really like to be in an agressive riding posture.

Should I...
Get a shorter stem? Staying put with the 54cm size
or
Heck, exchange for a 52cm size instead?

With a previous agreement during the purchase, my LBS will allow me to swap size if I need to :D :D How nice eh?
If you are unhappy with both the stretched out reach to the bars and the tight standover, I would suggest swapping to the 52 cm. A bit shorter reach and a bit more standover.

I actually have the opposite problem, I have a longer upper body and short legs so i get cramped on bikes w/ adequate standover height for me. Seems like both of us will have to compromise.

KMKS said:
I actually have the opposite problem, I have a longer upper body and short legs so i get cramped on bikes w/ adequate standover height for me. Seems like both of us will have to compromise.

So did you got yourself a compact frame or a mighty long stem?

still looking for that bike that fits me actually, like yourself. I'll probably just deal w/ a little bit less breathing room on my standover height.

SunBurnt said:
So did you got yourself a compact frame or a mighty long stem?

KMKS said:
still looking for that bike that fits me actually, like yourself. I'll probably just deal w/ a little bit less breathing room on my standover height.

Guess you can get one of those sloping compact frames.

If you don't mind your seat post sticking up, which I feel makes a rider look very weird sitting on it... see pic

:D :D :D