Stephen Roche in Montreal-really!

Bill C

Guest
Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> Apparently he is in town because his girlfriend (i guess he's divorced!)
> is doing commentary for Eurosport on the World Aquatics champs. So he
> showed up at the LBS where I bought my bike and where a friend of mine
> works, and a whole group went on a ride with him this AM. I didn't go,
> alas, but from all accounts he's a really nice guy and incredibly
> normal. They did take some photos and I convinced my friend to submit
> some to the Velonews reader contest. I may yet get to see the guy, he's
> in town (Riding a trek) for a few more days and I may see him riding
> around! One thing he commented on was the year he wore the Rainbow
> Jersey of Doom and he said he only got to wear it for like 24 days since
> he was injured half the year. He doesn't get to ride as much as he'd
> like although he has his own life of bikes.
>
> I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
> was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
> tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.

Cool story Marlene, thanks for putting it up.
Bill C

Marlene Blanshay a écrit :

> I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
> was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
> tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.

I recall Daniel Day Lewis right after winning his Academy Award saying
that
it would be the biggest party in Dublin since Roche won the Tour de
France,
and me thinking that none of the journalists at the press
conference had any idea what he was talking about.

-ilan

[email protected] wrote:
> Marlene Blanshay a écrit :
>
>>I still remember following the tour that year (in the newspaper,which
>>was about all you got) and thinking wow! He's Irish and he's winning the
>>tour de france! That never happens! I thought it was fascinating.

> I recall Daniel Day Lewis right after winning his Academy Award saying
> that
> it would be the biggest party in Dublin since Roche won the Tour de
> France,
> and me thinking that none of the journalists at the press
> conference had any idea what he was talking about.
>
> -ilan

Yes, i can believe that. I wonder if DDL rides himself. Cycling has
gotten even bigger in Ireland since then.

AAlso hese days ROche spends most of his time between paris and Nice-
sounds ideal! Didn't he win Paris=nice once? And he's friends with Sean
Kelly who apparently, when he started working for Eurosport, nearly got
fired because he would say almost nothing. LOL!

Yeah... and now that he does talk you can't understand a flipping thing
he says... The tour riders seem to spend half their time walking if you
listen to him... Oh.. right... "working".. now I see...

DepartFictif wrote:
> Yeah... and now that he does talk you can't understand a flipping thing
> he says... The tour riders seem to spend half their time walking if you
> listen to him... Oh.. right... "working".. now I see...

I've gotten used to listening to him on Eurosport and I understand
him.I've watched Rugby and gotten used to commentators with thick
Afrikans accents and native welsh speakers who are just as hard to
understand. You get used to it after a while. And then of course, there
are americans....