Stronglight Impact Crank (compatibility)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Nakashima, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>Not to take issue with budgets at all, but those Shimano sealed
    >>square-taper BBs are an absolute bargain. Say what you will about
    >>Shimano, but it's great that they still sell a decent variety of very
    >>good-quality BBs for a standard they consider out of date. Now, if they
    >>would only bring back those marvelous 110/74 Deore cranks . . .


    bfd wrote:
    > Agree, shimano un-5x and 7x are fantastic bbs. However, how much better are
    > those 110/74 Deore over say Sugino XD-600 110/74 triple crank, like this one
    > here:
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2
    > The above crank is a fantastic deal and can be found for as low as $70!


    Thanks for the plug but the $69.95 model is actually a
    different crank arm:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx.html

    And the Tange BB sets with true replaceable sealed bearing
    cartridges are less expensive than the non-serviceable
    Shimano units.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
     


  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    I wrote:

    >how much better are those 110/74 Deore over say Sugino XD-600 110/74

    triple crank, like this one here:
    >http://www.yellowjersey.org/cr­anx2

    The above crank is a fantastic deal and can be found for as low as $70!
    <

    Andy replied:

    <Thanks for the plug but the $69.95 model is actually a
    different crank arm:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/cr­anx.html >

    Can you explain the difference between the Sugino XD and the XD-600?
    Looks very similar? Thank!
     
  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    bfd wrote:
    >>>how much better are those 110/74 Deore over say Sugino XD-600 110/74
    >>> triple crank, like this one here:
    >>>http://www.yellowjersey.org/cr­anx2
    >>> The above crank is a fantastic deal and can be found for as low as $70!


    (am)>
    >>Thanks for the plug but the $69.95 model is actually a
    >> different crank arm:
    >> http://www.yellowjersey.org/cr­anx.html >


    bfd wrote:
    > Can you explain the difference between the Sugino XD and the XD-600?
    > Looks very similar? Thank!


    Sugino says the XD600/2 designation is a different material
    .. Those arms are also better finished and clear anodized.
    Same outer rings, same inner rings, middle is AL ramped on
    the XD600/2, satin chromed steel for XD.

    (That isn't clearly better either way. High mileage cyclists
    seek steel middle rings usually in spite of a few grams)

    And what was wrong with model names? Sugino AeroTour, Idol,
    Maxy, Guines were all a bit loopy but much better than
    XD600/2 IMHO.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
     
  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > ...
    > And the Tange BB sets with true replaceable sealed bearing cartridges
    > are less expensive than the non-serviceable Shimano units.


    Are these ISO taper, JIS taper, or both?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)
     
  5. Andrew Karre

    Andrew Karre Guest

    I haven't measured, but I think the Deore cranks had a lower Q factor
    on the same BB (somebody will surely correct me if I'm wrong, here). My
    only complaint about my Suginos is that I needed to find a 103 mm BB to
    get a satisfactory chainline and Q.

    Andrew
     
  6. A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:

    >And what was wrong with model names? Sugino AeroTour, Idol,
    >Maxy, Guines were all a bit loopy but much better than
    >XD600/2 IMHO.


    Actually, "Maxy" is a great model name since "Mighty" is the high end,
    "Maxy" implies big but not ultimate. If they ever had a low end it
    might be called "Sugino Mini".

    I have always wondered the same things about Nissan Cars. We have the
    "Maxima", the "Altima", so why isn't the small one called "The Nissan
    Minima. The affordable generic car!"

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA
     
  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > A Muzi wrote:
    >> And the Tange BB sets with true replaceable sealed bearing cartridges
    >> are less expensive than the non-serviceable Shimano units.


    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Are these ISO taper, JIS taper, or both?


    Today only available in Shimano type (JIS) start.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
     
  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Donald Gillies wrote:

    > A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >
    >>And what was wrong with model names? Sugino AeroTour, Idol,
    >>Maxy, Guines were all a bit loopy but much better than
    >>XD600/2 IMHO.

    >
    >
    > Actually, "Maxy" is a great model name since "Mighty" is the high end,
    > "Maxy" implies big but not ultimate. If they ever had a low end it
    > might be called "Sugino Mini".
    >
    > I have always wondered the same things about Nissan Cars. We have the
    > "Maxima", the "Altima", so why isn't the small one called "The Nissan
    > Minima. The affordable generic car!"


    I want a Nissan "Inflection Point".

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)
     
Loading...
Loading...