Success story: Flab to fit

cdaleguy

Nov 13, 2004
Ok, let's have it. Tell us how UNFIT you were..overweight, couldn't bike a mile without a break, starting riding speed...etc...before you started riding, versus now (telling us your accomplishments...how far you now ride, how fast you are, races you've entered).

I need some motivation.

Started riding in September of last year on a hybrid. I'm 46, 5'9" and I weighed about 172.

I can remember coming home one day after my first few rides and gloating to my wife that I had made it all the way around our neighborhood for the first time. That seems so bogus to me now. Even with some pretty good hills it's only about 2.6 miles. But back then it seemed like it was just barely doable.

Now I have moved up to a road bike and my typical lunchtime ride is about 8 of those circuits on the big chain ring and I still beat my boss back in from his shmooze lunches.

I weigh 152, just finished a metric century and am never going back to the way that I was living before. Hope this helps! ;)

rule62 said:
Started riding in September of last year on a hybrid. I'm 46, 5'9" and I weighed about 172.

I can remember coming home one day after my first few rides and gloating to my wife that I had made it all the way around our neighborhood for the first time. That seems so bogus to me now. Even with some pretty good hills it's only about 2.6 miles. But back then it seemed like it was just barely doable.

Now I have moved up to a road bike and my typical lunchtime ride is about 8 of those circuits on the big chain ring and I still beat my boss back in from his shmooze lunches.

I weigh 152, just finished a metric century and am never going back to the way that I was living before. Hope this helps! ;)

great story. fantastic to hear that the cycling and exercise has made such a positive change to your life. keep up the great work

well i have a pretty similar story. Had been into martial arts, but a mis diagnosed knee injury ( turned out to be tight muscles not ACL) and total mental incapacitation after my Ex left me led me to the life of the couch potato and in total depression. Im about 5'8 and decided once i hit 90Kgs enough was enough. I dusted off the Mountain bike and started riding weekends with a mate. soon after I got a road bike and havent looked back. Im back down to about 80kg ( another 5 kg's and ill be happy), am well fitter than i was, can ride for hours without a break and am about to compete in my first mountain bike race in 2 weekends time. On top of that im clearer in my mind. after a tough day i know i can get on the bike and all my troubles just get left behind me. its a lot cheaper and more fun than therapy!

I really think that riding a bike saved my life.

December 1 1999: Age 30, Height 173cm, Mass: 103kg, Waist: 42", Body fat: 27%
Bought road bike and HRM after not riding for 15 years.
Changed the way I ate, started riding almost every day.
April 1 2000: Age 30, Height 173cm, Mass: 76kg, Waist: 30.5" Body fat: 11%

Today (Jan 12 2005): Age 35, Height 173cm, Mass: 78kg, Waist:30.5", Body fat:10%

Was VERY unfit at 6'4" and around 252 lbs in May of 2004. Used to cycle about 10 years ago, and still liked it in theory. I made a conscious decision to make cycling my lifestyle. I used a good MTB I had bought a few years earlier, but had never really used and started riding. About the same time, I started to read and investigate training and newer bicycle stuff. I started off just riding, but then bought a heart rate monitor and started to be a little more scientific. I now wish I had a power meter, but they are out of my price range. After months of hard work, I am now down to about 190 lbs, and haven't felt this good in years. I did have a hard time during the holidays, as I traveled and stayed with my family and inlaws, neither of which seem to have any healthy diet concerns. I am very much looking forward to this next spring, as I am going to start doing organized rides and such, and maybe even try racing.

Julian Radowsky said:
December 1 1999: Age 30, Height 173cm, Mass: 103kg, Waist: 42", Body fat: 27%
Bought road bike and HRM after not riding for 15 years.
Changed the way I ate, started riding almost every day.
April 1 2000: Age 30, Height 173cm, Mass: 76kg, Waist: 30.5" Body fat: 11%

Today (Jan 12 2005): Age 35, Height 173cm, Mass: 78kg, Waist:30.5", Body fat:10%

Wow, Julian, that's amazing - a foot off your waist! :)

What was your diet like in the first few months to reduce your bodyfat % so quickly?

Cheers
Nicole

Ok, 4 years back I was 140kg, given a "bus ride" to live, so I approached the diet therapy dept of my local teaching hospital, yup a diet, walking a little.

After 1 year, lost 16kg, still walking a little,

After another year lost 1kg, still walking a little, hospital suggests a shrink, my Doc (GP) suggests the Gym, so off to the gym at about 123kg.

OK gym says, ride this, row this, push, this walk this... cardio exercise, well I fell off the exercise bike, knackered myself on the rower, but after 12 months my weight was 70kg,

Hospital happy? NO, more off, got down to 65kg then started over 55s triathlon training, learn to ride, remember the exercise bike? Learn to swim, learn to run, Ok swam my first 300m in September, raced in my first duathlon in August.

Hospital happy now?? Yes, however, I have put some weight back on, 72kg now but stuff all fat, swim like a fish, cycle like a rocket and run like the wind...

Now all I need is a nice lady to train with... :)

I was about 230 lbs (104 Kg) last year. I am only 5'8" (172 cm). Basically, I was obese. I was a college tennis player and used to be very fit, so I was very disgusted with my body.

One day during lunch, I had a few minutes to kill, so I walked in a nearby bike store. I saw a carbon fiber Kestrel Talon and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. But then I saw the sticker price. I ended up buying over the internet with limited knowledge of bike fitting and got lucky that the bike was a decent fit. I rode a little over 1000 miles last year and now I am down to 195 lbs. I am now hooked on cycling and constantly look at nashbar magazines when I'm on the john and have no reserves about wearing spandex biking shorts in public (excuse me....I mean LYCRA shorts). I hope to get down to 170 lbs at the end of next year and I'm considering racing. Oh yeah...Heft On Wheels by Magnussen was a good book and also helped inspire me.

Beginning of 2004--I was tired all the time and somewhat depressed constantly. I had a black belt test coming up and knew the physical demands would be excruciating so I started biking. The effects were immediate and lasting. Though I've always been fairly lean (I've actually gained 2 or 3 pounds since I started riding) the bicycle has been a huge stress relief to me and as a result I feel better in general (and about myself because I know I am in shape).

After a few years of depression and general sedentary-ness, including competitive chess playing (sit still, long time, get fat) following a former life as a fit rock climber and runner, I was weighing in at 230 lbs (I'm 5' 11"). This past July I got motivated/disgusted and took up cycling which I had always had an interest in to some degree, but never really pursued. I rode 2200 miles between July and December, I now weigh 192 and am continuing to lose weight steadily, I train in the gym four days a week due to weather and do spinervals/roller workouts a couple of times a week. In the next week or so I will start focusing on longer endurance training in preparation to start racing in the spring.

I feel more alive than I have in years, I have quit smoking, gone back to school and generally feel like life is pretty good.

And yes, Mike Magnuson is the MAN!!! Heft On Wheels is the endomorphic-self-destructive-cum-uber-athlete's Bible. Seriously.

:D
Cheers,

Nathaniel

Miss Meow said:
Wow, Julian, that's amazing - a foot off your waist! :)

What was your diet like in the first few months to reduce your bodyfat % so quickly?

Cheers
Nicole

Very simple diet (which I still follow)
  • Breakfast : Meusli with yughurt and a banana and a coffee
  • Mid morning snack : Fruit (apple or orange or pear or peach)
  • Lunch : Large salad (no cheese) with tuna (tinned in brine, not oil) or grilled chicken
  • Mid afternoon snack : Fruit (apple or orange or pear or peach)
  • Dinner : Grilled fish or chicken breast (no butter or oil) with salad (no cheese, no oil), steamed veg, baked potato or steamed rice.

Lots of cycling.

The most important points to ensure that your diet works:
  • Consume fewer calories than you are burning off
  • Follow an eating plan that is easy to maintain FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
  • Excercise lots to burn calories and increase base metabolism rate
  • Don't obsess over the scale, rather use a tape measure - trust the inches
    not the pounds
  • Don't deprive yourself - treat yourself a bit - have a chocolate or slice of
    cake, go out to a restaurant - BUT - only on the weekend or ONCE during the week!
  • Drink lots of water - absolutely vital
  • ACCEPT THAT IT WILL TAKE TIME - THERE ARE NO MAGIC CURES OR 'INSTANT' REMEDIES.

Thanks, Julian.

It's amazing how the 'diet' companies and foods are a multi-billion dollar industry but it's the simple things that really work. :)

Have a great weekend
N

A few more success stories in http://www.cyclingforums.com/t203019-.html

Personally I've droppet 45 pounds, bodyfat-% sitting around 5-7, started racing in 2004 (with some moderate success :D).

As for diet, I' second Julian, apart from the meat, being a vegetarian and all :)

Started off being 122 kg in Aug 2003. The riding bug had already started with me during the 2002 and 2003 Tour Down Under's, but i got really serious in August with the aim to enter the 2004 Be Active Tour. Did alot of gym work to begin with and the swiched to a more intese cycling focas with a Personal Trainer/Coach from the Gym.

I have my weight down to 90kg and ride about 250+km a week. My work mates think "lycra man" is nuts as I commute 40km to work and 60km home twice a week :D .

Cant wait for the 2005 Be Active tour next Wednesday, aiming for 100km in 4.5hrs.

The only disapointment is that my new 05 model Trek 1500 will not be availble till late Feb. :(

Still fat. Still NOT fit but moving in the right direction.

Two years ago, 100% sedentary typical North American toxic lifestyle, stress junkie, perimenapausal, depressed, diabetic, obese, high blood pressure, smoking a pack and a half a day, heading for a nervous breakdown on her way to an early grave. I weighed 100 kgs, which officially made me about .5 m too short and most of it was parked around my waist.

Bought a bike so I could take one or 2 rides a summer with hubby and kiddy-wink... ended up addicted to it. For the first time, I found an exercise that fit into my lifestyle and that didn't feel like exercise.

Today, I'm a nutjob cycle commuter. I put 3000km on my bike this summer commuting to and from work. I bought a bike trailer for the days when I'm running errands. I've quit smoking. Diabetic meds are down. Blood pressure is more controlled. My mind is straight. I'm still overweight and have a LONG way to go before I'm anywhere near "normal" weight. I'm happy. I'm healthy and I'm getting stronger. I may not have lost a lot of pounds but I've lost over 5" from my waist and have gone down 4 pant sizes.

This year, now that we've got the activity bit straightened out as a family, I'm concentrating more on the healthy food aspect. It's slow, very small, incremental changes. I'm not interested in the "quick fix" or the "trend of the week". I'm interested in building life style changes.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was my ass. It's going to take a while to fix.

I got the cycling bug a few years back and gradually became fitter and lost weight. I got a few friends and relatives involved as well by holding a mini triathalon (1000m swim, 40km ride and 4 km run with a break between each leg) every quarter. Points were awarded for improvement in times in each leg and overall, with the winner being the biggest improver.

We all became motivated by the contest and trained often. I got down to about 87 kg and was very fit, however, things got crazy at work and I spent 8 months travelling and living in hotels, working long hours and by mid 2004, I found I had blown out to 97kg and had to walk up a lot of the hills when cycling.

I set three targets to achieve by my 50th birthday on Jan 1 05:
1. Get weight down to 90kg
2. Improve fitness so I could sustain 250 watts climbing a 4km, 6% hill on one of my regular rides.
3. Improve stamina so that I could complete 10 laps (38 km) of a local park bike track in under 80 minutes
I set myself a training program that included 4 hours walking and light aerobic exercise, 4 hours other aerobic exercise including gym work, tennis and swimming and 4 hours hard training (mostly cycling with some running) with about 1 of those hours being high intensity intervals.
The idea was to eat sensibly without being on a strict diet and use the exercise to loose weight.
I hit 280 watts climbing the hill withing about 3 months , and have broken the 80 minute barrier for 10 laps and I even got to 90kg and I'm thinking 85kg by mid 05. One bit of advice though is that you do have to restrict food intake to loose weight. For the first couple of months I lost very little until I paid more attention to my diet.

Pat