Sustainable Weekly TSS Total

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
I'm tweaking up my weekly TSS just wondering where the limit is for most people without over training.

Just off the top of my head I think CTL is 5tss per weekover 42 days. ATL is 10 over 7 days.

wiredued said:
I'm tweaking up my weekly TSS just wondering where the limit is for most people without over training.

I'm only at 340 TSS per week now but I guessed 425 TSS just so I could see the poll.

wiredued said:
Methinks your poll options are a bit low. If you just look at Coggan and Hunter's TSS descriptions folks should be able to do up to 150 with full recovery the following day. IOW even with a rest day per week 900 isn't out of reach and 600-700 is pretty reasonable.

I've been stuck indoors on the trainer for almost two months now and I'm regularly accumulating 600 TSS per week or more. When the weather warms up I expext that number to go up since it's easy to accumulate TSS with time and harder to do long rides indoors on the trainer.

Look at it this way, 600 TSS per week riding 6 days per week is 100 TSS per day. If you do that with hour and a half rides that implies an average IF of ~.82. That's not hard to do with a warmup, a couple of SST intervals and a cooldown.

wiredued said:

I never thought of myself as a cyborg, but according to your poll that's where I fall. I monitor rolling 7 and 28 day TSS totals. I've set my breaking point at 950 for 7d and 3000 for 28d.

Do you mean to say you do this none stop all year long?:eek:

daveryanwyoming said:
Methinks your poll options are a bit low. If you just look at Coggan and Hunter's TSS descriptions folks should be able to do up to 150 with full recovery the following day. IOW even with a rest day per week 900 isn't out of reach and 600-700 is pretty reasonable.

I've been stuck indoors on the trainer for almost two months now and I'm regularly accumulating 600 TSS per week or more. When the weather warms up I expext that number to go up since it's easy to accumulate TSS with time and harder to do long rides indoors on the trainer.

Look at it this way, 600 TSS per week riding 6 days per week is 100 TSS per day. If you do that with hour and a half rides that implies an average IF of ~.82. That's not hard to do with a warmup, a couple of SST intervals and a cooldown.

Can you sustain this level a full year?

Thorman said:
I never thought of myself as a cyborg, but according to your poll that's where I fall. I monitor rolling 7 and 28 day TSS totals. I've set my breaking point at 950 for 7d and 3000 for 28d.

wiredued said:
Can you sustain this level a full year?

What I do is monitor my rolling totals and when I hit the numbers I rest a day or two. I mostly watch the 28 day total. My typical week is ~600.

It's the same for me, as a Cat 1 cyclist I typically train 700-1100 TSS/wk for 3 weeks in a row during base, then I take 1 week at 350-450 tss for recovery.

During a typical base week I have 1-2 recovery days of <60 tss.

During a typical build or race week I have 2-3 recovery days of <60 tss.

It all depends on how much time you have. I really think it is benefical to get 5 hrs in the saddle while racking up 250 tss points. Long days on the bike help you learn how to eat right and mentally tackle a long race.

Avg weekly TSS 2006 = 620
Max weekly TSS 2006 = 1255

I think your poll is biased a bit low.

wiredued said:
Do you mean to say you do this none stop all year long?:eek:
I certainly won't continue with SST all year long, but I also won't spend all year indoors on the trainer doing hour and a half rides. Even though IF is squared in the TSS formula, its bounded by reality to a value close to 1. So time ends up being the dominant parameter for building up TSS. So later in the year rides will get more variable and work at higher levels will naturally decrease the duration of those workouts but other workouts will get a lot longer which results in higher TSS numbers.

Last summer I did a lot of longer rides, mostly for fun since I hadn't taken the plunge and pulled my license out of retirement yet but I'd often spend four to six hours in the saddle on seventy to hundred plus mile rides. The IF for those rides hovered around .7, but the resulting TSS was 200 to 300. One of those a week plus three or four shorter rides and my weekly TSS hovered around 800.

I took a look at nearly 12 years of racing diaries from back in the day. I didn't have a power meter then, but I typically logged 14-18 hours a week riding. Assuming a low ball average IF of .65 that would still mean 600 - 700 TSS per week. I don't plan on training that many hours per week this year(those were the days when LSD was king) but I don't think 600 TSS per week is unrealistic. I'll keep ya posted.

-Dave

I can probably top out around middle of 600tss with all rides in the .8 IF. Right now is about 500+. Train from 3 to 4 days. All SST ride in the .80+ IF. Of course, my last year off season I was in the 900 the first week, 700 the next, and the final week is around 500. Most of the TSS are from commuting. When looking at TSS you have to look at the average IF as well.

daveryanwyoming said:
I certainly won't continue with SST all year long, but I also won't spend all year indoors on the trainer doing hour and a half rides. Even though IF is squared in the TSS formula, its bounded by reality to a value close to 1. So time ends up being the dominant parameter for building up TSS. So later in the year rides will get more variable and work at higher levels will naturally decrease the duration of those workouts but other workouts will get a lot longer which results in higher TSS numbers.

Last summer I did a lot of longer rides, mostly for fun since I hadn't taken the plunge and pulled my license out of retirement yet but I'd often spend four to six hours in the saddle on seventy to hundred plus mile rides. The IF for those rides hovered around .7, but the resulting TSS was 200 to 300. One of those a week plus three or four shorter rides and my weekly TSS hovered around 800.

I took a look at nearly 12 years of racing diaries from back in the day. I didn't have a power meter then, but I typically logged 14-18 hours a week riding. Assuming a low ball average IF of .65 that would still mean 600 - 700 TSS per week. I don't plan on training that many hours per week this year(those were the days when LSD was king) but I don't think 600 TSS per week is unrealistic. I'll keep ya posted.

-Dave

500 is a bit low... i think the cyborg should be over ~1200 TSS per week... during a build i'm doing 12-13 hrs/wk and averaging about 700 TSS.. and i'm not doing 12-13hrs because that's all i can do, it's because it all the time i can afford to devote to cycling. back in the day i would do about 20-22 hrs a week.. no power meter back then so not sure what that meant in terms of TSS but i'm thinking i would have qualified as a cyborg back then even using my definition..

looking over my last year, my highest TSS day was 415 TSS...

I agree these numbers are too low...been maintaining 800-900/wk for 5 weeks quite comfortably. Doing plenty of riding "steady" through the hills training with a few friends racing IMAZ...(it's great to be a cyclist around this time of year when there are so many triathletes to help accumulate time in "the Sweet Spot"...TBH though, I haven't formaly tested FTP since starting this training block, so it might skew the TSS scores a bit higher..just hate to go hard for an hour without a number pinned on. :)

doctorSpoc said:
500 is a bit low... i think the cyborg should be over ~1200 TSS per week... during a build i'm doing 12-13 hrs/wk and averaging about 700 TSS.. and i'm not doing 12-13hrs because that's all i can do, it's because it all the time i can afford to devote to cycling. back in the day i would do about 20-22 hrs a week.. no power meter back then so not sure what that meant in terms of TSS but i'm thinking i would have qualified as a cyborg back then even using my definition..

looking over my last year, my highest TSS day was 415 TSS...

LOL I would if I could the last time I tried consecutive days my legs just said "What are you nuts? We just did this yesterday!":) I think even my numbers are underestimated now I do commute with no power measuring 3.25 miles a day but I go slow in this weather maybe 50 TSS per week.

Alex Simmons said:
Just drop the "cy" and join the collective...

Resistance is futile....:D

Numbers definitely low. I'm averaging 690TSS since I started training with power in October. That includes three separate weeks that I tapered for separate events.

Planning wise, my base periods are 900's per week until March with three weeks (including last week) of 1000+. My wife is forgiving with time on the bike as long as I have a race in the planning for which its purpose will be served.