Sustainable Weekly TSS Total

OK I'm a wimp at cycling.:eek: Maybe we should have a bench press competition to repair my fragile ego.:)

frenchyge said:
LOL! Anything over 500 tss/wk makes one a cyborg?? :eek:

450 TSS is a rest week for me....I'm trying to accumulate between 850 and 1100 per week for this time of year. Hoping to push CTL up to between 120 and 130 to see if I can handle it. My weekends tend to be over 500 TSS (last weekend was around 675) I hope the weather holds out a bit longer in the NE US.

Sorry for the newbie thing, but do you just add TSS to get a 7 day or 28 day total or is there a chart/graph, etc I am missing on cycling peaks that shows it?

Thanks,
Ray
Mines been about 530 to 550 the last two weeks due to 3 hour rides on the weekends..

rayhuang said:
Sorry for the newbie thing, but do you just add TSS to get a 7 day or 28 day total or is there a chart/graph, etc I am missing on cycling peaks that shows it?

Thanks,
Ray
Mines been about 530 to 550 the last two weeks due to 3 hour rides on the weekends..

I have a custom chart for Accumulated TSS with 7 days per point. It doesn't show the current week until it's over, but I usually know about where I'm at during a given week.

NomadVW said:
I have a custom chart for Accumulated TSS with 7 days per point. It doesn't show the current week until it's over, but I usually know about where I'm at during a given week.
Ahh-I customized a TSS and IF chart that shows one dot for "this week". I think its right. Problem is it only shows one dot, not every week. I'll keep playing unless you can show me what buttons to hit :)

EDIT: I figured it out!!

Thanks,
Ray

Last winter, I rolled huge weeks, usually between 1100 and 1300 TSS per week, and my biggest week hit 1600 TSS - 35 hours on the bike. Of course, the big weeks were followed with big time rest, but I went out to go big last winter, and it worked really well for me.

My hardest week during the season was the Tour of Shenandoah which tallied up to 1350 TSS for the five-day, seven stage race.

This winter, I've cut down the hours and am rolling 20-22 hours per week at around 1000-1100 TSS. That's been a lot more fun for me, a little less time on the bike, riding harder, and from what I can tell, it's a lot better for me.

Anything under 800 really doesn't feel like much...I've got a LOT of time for practice though.

JERED
www.thebikegame.com

rayhuang said:

Thanks,
Ray

Here's a simple Excel file I've used in the past to monitor rolling totals. It would be nice if in a future version of CPS they'd add this feature.

Thorman said:
Here's a simple Excel file I've used in the past to monitor rolling totals. It would be nice if in a future version of CPS they'd add this feature.
Done! upgrade to WKO+ and open the performance manager..

I rolled between 1100-1400 TSS for my on-weeks last winter, riding around 25-35 hours per week. It was hard, but doable, so long as you have absolutely nothing else going on in your life...eat, ride, eat, sleep.

I pretty much just jumped into that. I trained with someone a lot stronger and a lot more, er, professional than me - so it was sink or swim. It was cool, because I managed to make it through. I wanted to go big and make a big leap in my fitness, and I did.

My biggest race week this year was the Tour of Shenandoah, which clocked in at 1350 TSS for about 20 hours of racing.

This winter, I'm cutting back on the hours a bit and riding harder, that's been going well with most weeks between 900-1100, and about 20ish hours for right now. I think that's better for my head. I still want to work up to some big time TSS numbers, but there's a long winter to be had, lots of time.

doctorSpoc said:
Done! upgrade to WKO+ and open the performance manager..
The exponentially weighted rolling averages in WKO+ Performance Manager are quite different than 7 or 28 day block sums of TSS. You can use either to answer the basic question of "how hard am I working" but one gives a weighted average and the other a sum. They're not the same thing.

daveryanwyoming said:
The exponentially weighted rolling averages in WKO+ Performance Manager are quite different than 7 or 28 day block sums of TSS. You can use either to answer the basic question of "how hard am I working" but one gives a weighted average and the other a sum. They're not the same thing.
oh ok.. but you can actually pretty easily do that too... just create a chart start it on a monday or sunday... how every you design your weeks (so your 7day intervals will begin or end at the right times) and set the interval to 7 days and chart TSS.. boom CP will spit out a chart of weely TSS for the whole year... i have a chart that has TSS/week along with, duration/wk, distance/wk, IF/wk... and you're right it is very useful.

doctorSpoc said:
oh ok.. but you can actually pretty easily do that too... just create a chart start it on a monday or sunday... how every you design your weeks (so your 7day intervals will begin or end at the right times) and set the interval to 7 days and chart TSS.. boom CP will spit out a chart of weely TSS for the whole year... i have a chart that has TSS/week along with, duration/wk, distance/wk, IF/wk... and you're right it is very useful.
I guess I am lazy, but the only way to have it start and end on a Monday-Sunday is to set custom dates. So you need to do that every month. yeah-not a biggie, I know and I dont mind doing it, but having the software do it for you would be better!!

rayhuang said:
I guess I am lazy, but the only way to have it start and end on a Monday-Sunday is to set custom dates. So you need to do that every month. yeah-not a biggie, I know and I dont mind doing it, but having the software do it for you would be better!!
for the month, yeah... in general that is a complaint of mine.. they should have monthly interval.. that can't be that hard i've used excel spread sheet that have that built in (knows about leap years and everything) so should be a peice of cake for these guys.. just having 28 days is pretty much sucks... i know it probably makes sense in to do it by regular intervals, but reality is that we use months and using 28day intervals just throws everthing out of wack and is pretty screwy..

if you are listening out there... PLEASE include an monthly interval that knows which months have 28,30,31 days leap years etc...

doctorSpoc said:
if you are listening out there... PLEASE include an monthly interval that knows which months have 28,30,31 days leap years etc...
Why? What useful conclusion can you draw from such a representation of data?

"I rode more (TSS/Kj/hrs etc) this month even though it was only a 30 day month but that's because it happened to have 5 Sunday long rides days and only 4 Monday rest days instead of the 31 day month that followed but only had 4 Sundays and 5 Monday rest days?"

Make no sense to represent the data that way, well no sense to me at least.

rayhuang said:
No you don't. Just choose the "custom through to today" option and 7 days per data point and then each data point displayed will be the 7 days data total, always using the same day as the start of that week's data. Just pick your custom 1st day on the day of week you prefer. The final data point total of course will be a sum of the current week to date.

Now don't be so lazy....;)

Alex Simmons said:
No you don't. Just choose the "custom through to today" option and 7 days per data point and then each data point displayed will be the 7 days data total, always using the same day as the start of that week's data. Just pick your custom 1st day on the day of week you prefer. The final data point total of course will be a sum of the current week to date.

Now don't be so lazy....;)
OK-that was too easy lol and thanks. BTW-thanks to everynes help (and my looking at power more than HR and cadence) I have 2x the amount of L2 as L1 this week and very little L1, all while keeping my HR in Z2.

Now I will have to concentrate this weekend to try and stay in L2-L6 even with the dynamics of two long group rides.

rayhuang said:
Now I will have to concentrate this weekend to try and stay in L2-L6 even with the dynamics of two long group rides.
Stay on the front longer / more often. Unless you really need the rest or have a lunatic half wheeling you who has an FTP double yours:D

Alex Simmons said:
Why? What useful conclusion can you draw from such a representation of data?

"I rode more (TSS/Kj/hrs etc) this month even though it was only a 30 day month but that's because it happened to have 5 Sunday long rides days and only 4 Monday rest days instead of the 31 day month that followed but only had 4 Sundays and 5 Monday rest days?"

Make no sense to represent the data that way, well no sense to me at least.
well some of us plan out our year on a standard calendar... and set aprox goals for month x, y and z (and we know how many days each month has and set the goal accordingly) and would like to see if we are on track for that month... it's not about "I rode more (TSS/Kj/hrs etc) this month even though it was only a 30 day month..." it's about i should have ridden x hours for august did i do it.. i set my calendar knowing full well how long august was and what day it started on etc, etc did i reach my goal... i set out my schedule on weekly basis.. and my weekly chart gives me, my output per, and i would always use this... but months.. real months are goal posts that I would like to see and i would like to see this as well, again just to see where i am in time, not "week 21"... what the hell does "week 21" mean.. i know i have a big race in July and a stage race in august "week 21" doesn't carry alot of meaning... 28 day blocks are messed up because that don't line up with real months and doesn't tell you where you are by month x... 28 day blocks doesn't even line up with macro cycles which are variable length... for me anyway, so 28 day block are completely useless for me..

maybe it might be good to have the background colour of charts and the calendar alternate grey - white (or some other means.. colour of the date field?) to show months and/or be able to toggle between traditional and a tabular calendar views... they do this in iSMART train and it works quite well.. in any case i find it not easy to know where you are in the year by looking at the charts as they are rigth now in WKO+

i guess it's a matter of personal perference.. i would look at a chart like that and it would help me know from a high level where i'm at and to you you might find it useless.. and i'm sure other charts you would find useful and i wouldn't really get much out of at all...