Sydney Riding places???

Kez Deale

Jan 15, 2004
Hey all....

No one posts here!!! Hopefully we could all change that :p, but anyway, to the point...

Does anyone know any good places to do training around Sydney?? (Preferably Western Sydney)..

I only know of Homebush Olympic Park, and I've yet to go down there.... so any other places spring to mind?

Kez

Originally posted by Kez Deale
Hey all....

No one posts here!!! Hopefully we could all change that :p, but anyway, to the point...

Does anyone know any good places to do training around Sydney?? (Preferably Western Sydney)..

I only know of Homebush Olympic Park, and I've yet to go down there.... so any other places spring to mind?

Kez
Olympic Park is good, except the lights are not esp. bike friendly. Moe often than not you get up to speed only to be stopped by the lights. The wind does tend to swirl around there as well esp. near the Superdome and Stadium. I use it because it's just so damn convenient and at least the traffic level is such that a cyclist has a fighting chance. Used to cycle around Blacktown on M4 and Great Western Hwy but it really is flirting with death. The drains are just the right size to take your wheel and throw you off.:(

Hey all....

Kez

Kez,

There are lot's of good rides around Sydney. I did a Leura to Ryde run last week down the Great Western Highway, M4 and Parramatta River Cycleway. A fantastic ride (and relatively safe too). You can ride from Ryde to Kurnell via the Cooks River cycleway and other off road routes. The RTA has some maps that you can download from their website. Also try the following link from CAMwest http://camwest.pps.com.au/rides/

Half the fun is in exploring new routes anyway. Goodluck.

David

Howdy peoples,

Well what can i say, I live in Manly so this may sound biased.

Any ride along the penninsular ie Manly to Palm Beach is excellent. Its undulating over a distance of 30km each way. The traffic here is cycle savy, lots of riders are out between 5am-7am, racing club riders, tri clubs and just people staying in shape all enjoy the mild conditions of riding by the coast.

To add a challenge to this ride simply head inland... the average ellavation is about 120m, most of the roads that head inland cover this ellavation in about 3km... not a bad hill. I ride a 42 to 19 1st gear which is tough at some points on these climbs. I'm reasonably fit.

The main road Manly to Palm is 6 lanes, mo9st of the way. There are lots of shops to refresh yourselves at, terrific beach scenes (sand and bod's) to enjoy along the way.

Cylcist paradise they say...

Ross

Another great ride...

The hills 100... 100km of grueling hills, 4 major hill climbs. Mostly from about sea level to 200m above sea level.

Hills... We had a Sunday ride we called the hills 100. A little background - Northern Suburbs (now disbanded) raced through Coal n Candle Creek at Kuringia Chase (big bad hills). So we trained on hills. The highest point in Sydney is Arcadia, that's out past Galston and Dural.

The hills100 starts anywhere on the circuit. So from Hornsby (180m above sea level) it went down the Pacific Hwy to Turramurra then out to Bobbin Head (sea level, nearly) up to Mt Colah (200m), out to Brooklyn (sea level) back to Berowra (200m) down to Berowra ferry (sea level, nearly) up to Arcadia (220m) down thru Galston Gorge (sea level, nearly) up to Hornsby

This ride takes you thru 3 national parks. The main road sections have marked cycle lanes. Lots of other riders on the roads in these areas.

Ross

This is great!!!

All you people replying with this info... keep the info coming :D

-Kez

In the city you have centennial park which is good for doing laps and then you can head out from the park south to do the maroubra/ la perouse ride and then east and north to do the waterfront hills around bondi and vaucluse. the hill out of north bondi is a pretty good climb and there are some fast descents too.

for longer rides you can head way south and ride from the park to waterfall train station etc (90km round trip)

there are heaps of bunches that ride those routes

Hey all....

Kez
The Prospect canal cycleway from Guildford out past Prospect resevoir to abbotsbury,along Cowpasture rd,to Bonnyrig or Liverpool is a good ride.You can choose the route back, but I usually go Smithfield rd. Round trip is about 35-45 km.
I also do laps of Parramatta park about 3.5 km laps,with lots of other cyclists to meet and chicks to look at.The cycleway under the M4,past rosehill racecourse,(walk over bridge),along Parramatta river to concord bridge to Olympic park and back is also good.Contact Marconi cycling club also ....

Kez
Gday where do you mean by Western Sydney??? There are heaps of good rides out Camden/Campbeltown way.You have the M5 down to the X-roads then back to Pheasants Nest servo or you could take the Picton/Wollongong turnoff 7km before that.Or keep going another 10km to the Bargo turnoff.There is also Razorback or Old Razorback into Picton or continue on to The Oaks or you could do the Menangle loop.

Hey all....

Kez

There is a great trail on the south end of town

Originally posted by Duckwah
In the city you have centennial park which is good for doing laps and then you can head out from the park south to do the maroubra/ la perouse ride and then east and north to do the waterfront hills around bondi and vaucluse. the hill out of north bondi is a pretty good climb and there are some fast descents too.

for longer rides you can head way south and ride from the park to waterfall train station etc (90km round trip)

there are heaps of bunches that ride those routes

I can heartily recommend the Loop through Galston/Berowra Waters, Any ride which includes Bobbin Head and a ride around the beachfronts of Maroubra/Coogeee/Bronte/Clovelly/Tamarama etc. Plenty of hills.

To the south a good ride is thought the Royal National Park. A loop from Waterfall and around up to Sutherland is good or a bigger loop from Stanwell Park is also recommended.

Centennial park is only good for learning to dodge roller bladers, wonky cyclists and bad drivers in 4WDs.

Hey all....

Kez
Best rides I have done are in upper north shore. Akuna Bay / West Head and Bobbin Head/Berowra Waters/Galston Gorge. PLenty of hills and plenty of scenery and very light traffic at 6.30am on the weekend. Just ride down King Georges Rd, Ryde Rd and Mona Vale Rd.