Taylor Phinney Article

On Jan 30, 6:20 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm gonna straighten all you Sand people out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Magilla

It's often been pointed out here that pro cycling is entertainment
first of all. Merckx is the greatest cyclist ever because he is the
most interesting. Who would you rather have dinner with, Merckx or
Lance?

Bret

On Jan 30, 3:06 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> Ryan, I don't understand what I was reading when I posted that remark to
> your posting. Re-reading it after Asher's comment, for the life of me I
> don't see what I was commenting on.
>
> My apologies for that posting.

One down, five thousand to go.

"Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Jan 30, 6:20 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'm gonna straighten all you Sand people out.

> It's often been pointed out here that pro cycling is entertainment
> first of all. Merckx is the greatest cyclist ever because he is the
> most interesting. Who would you rather have dinner with, Merckx or
> Lance?

HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA! You really don't have a single clue
do you?

On Jan 30, 9:50 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > On Jan 30, 6:20 pm, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I'm gonna straighten all you Sand people out.

> > It's often been pointed out here that pro cycling is entertainment
> > first of all. Merckx is the greatest cyclist ever because he is the
> > most interesting. Who would you rather have dinner with, Merckx or
> > Lance?

> HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA! You really don't have a single clue
> do you?

I think you owe me an apology.

"Colin Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> All valid points. I always think how much it would cost to get to all
> four World Cup track meets. When we had to go to the velodrome for
> volunteer orientation, two weeks before the WC, the Polish National Team
> was already there. They participated in the local races that day, leaving
> only crumbs for the local racers. Where does Poland get the money for
> something like three weeks (or longer, I don't know when the Poles
> arrived) out of the country? I know the Euro is strong, but....
>
> I'd have to check, but I think the French and Germans, among others,
> brought their best riders to LA.

It's not free of course, but you have to look at it like travel for a
moderate sized business, not four family vacations. As a business entity,
they will get special discounts for certain aspects of travel. Regarding
room and board, frequently the race organizer has made special arrangements,
either discount or gratis. Sometimes this can also include dining
arrangements, such as an institutional cafeteria. Also (I don't know if
every country operates in a like fashion), events/travel/training can be
subsidized by the national Olympic committee if a direct link between that
event (like an Olympic qualifier) and the Olympics can be shown.

Also, as I mentioned before, I don't think the UCI expected every country
(top rider) to participate in every single WC. The US certainly doesn't send
a full team to ride every event at each WC.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Merckx and Armstrong both took a shot at the Hour Record. Only one of them
> set a mark. The other one candyassed out to run slow marathons. Where's
> your Lance now?

And speaking of yesterdays heroes, are there any recent
photos/weight reports of Ullrich ?

Bret wrote:
> I think you owe me an apology.

You're right, he didn't call you gay which means you don't
get any more delegates from the Kunich gay caucus.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Of course, I'm getting a bit disturbed. At this point, rbr is the friendly
> and collegial newsgroup I check out in order to escape the vitriol and
> madness that is rbt.

Don't you miss the threads on the best way to patch a tube ?

Anyway all we need is a thread on global warming or
whether gorillas should be allowed to own guns to get
back into form.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> Merckx and Armstrong both took a shot at the Hour Record. Only one of them
>> set a mark. The other one candyassed out to run slow marathons. Where's
>> your Lance now?

> And speaking of yesterdays heroes, are there any recent
> photos/weight reports of Ullrich ?

Not sure what's going on with Jan, but Andrea Ferrigato look's like
he still could kick it up the Passo Del Cerreto, think he's still doing
work with Selle Italia. They liked his input on tweaking the SLR C64
for Davide Rebellin.

"Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 30, 9:50 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> "Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> > It's often been pointed out here that pro cycling is entertainment
>> > first of all. Merckx is the greatest cyclist ever because he is the
>> > most interesting. Who would you rather have dinner with, Merckx or
>> > Lance?

>> HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA! You really don't have a single
>> clue
>> do you?

> I think you owe me an apology.

And I think that one day in the far distant future you might grow up to be a
man but it isn't very apparent at the moment.

Just imagine that someone like you couldn't discover something to talk about
with Lance but could with Merckx. Fact is that you have nothing in common
with either.

On Jan 31, 8:42 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Jan 30, 9:50 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> >> "Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA! You really don't have a single
> >> clue
> >> do you?

> > I think you owe me an apology.

> And I think that one day in the far distant future you might grow up to be a
> man but it isn't very apparent at the moment.
>
> Just imagine that someone like you couldn't discover something to talk about
> with Lance but could with Merckx. Fact is that you have nothing in common
> with either.

Assuming that either one would be willing to talk about cycling, I
don't think I'd have a problem. It's true that I wouldn't be able to
discuss the head tube angle on Eddy's frames or what it's like to
climb like an angel like you could.

"Bret" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 31, 8:42 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>>
>> Just imagine that someone like you couldn't discover something to talk
>> about
>> with Lance but could with Merckx. Fact is that you have nothing in common
>> with either.

> Assuming that either one would be willing to talk about cycling, I
> don't think I'd have a problem. It's true that I wouldn't be able to
> discuss the head tube angle on Eddy's frames or what it's like to
> climb like an angel like you could.

Bret, when you're actually talking cycling you're OK. But your social skills
do leave a bit to be desired.

612 miles for the month.

In article <[email protected]>,
Bret <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 8:42 am, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> > Just imagine that someone like you couldn't discover something to talk about
> > with Lance but could with Merckx. Fact is that you have nothing in common
> > with either.

> Assuming that either one would be willing to talk about cycling, I
> don't think I'd have a problem. It's true that I wouldn't be able to
> discuss the head tube angle on Eddy's frames or what it's like to
> climb like an angel like you could.

I got to talk with Eddie about smoking in the building where they have Interbike a
few years ago (I don't but he was).

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.
But I've already got a pitchfork...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com>
wrote:

> Bret, when you're actually talking cycling you're OK. But your social skills
> do leave a bit to be desired.

Now THAT is the obtuse Tom Kunich we've all come to know. Holy ****, did that ever
make me laugh.

--

On Jan 31, 2:03 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> 612 miles for the month.

You keep saying that. I don't think in means what you think it means.

In article <[email protected]>,
MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> The reality is Cassius Clay would have been knocked out by Mike Tyson in
> the first round...and Merckx would have been dropped at the base of all
> the Cat. 1 climbs if he rode against Lance in any of the Tours.

What do you know of Cassius Clay?

--
Michael Press

Howard Kveck wrote:
> Now THAT is the obtuse Tom Kunich we've all come to know. Holy ****,
> did that ever make me laugh.

The new Irony module is being beta tested this month.

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The reality is Cassius Clay would have been knocked out by Mike Tyson in
>> the first round...and Merckx would have been dropped at the base of all
>> the Cat. 1 climbs if he rode against Lance in any of the Tours.

> What do you know of Cassius Clay?

I used to be a fight fan and there's absolutely no doubt that Cassius Clay
before he became Muhammad Ali was the finest fighter of all time. He had to
try to prove that he could take a punch and so chose to go toe to toe with
Joe Frazier which was about the dumbest thing he could have done. He could
have beaten Frazier in a walk any time but trading punches with him caused
the sort of damage that made him what he is today - someone that can hardly
talk understandably.