Tent packaging

Veloise

Guest
Went camping this weekend, and decided it's time to upgrade the ol'
3-person.

Went shopping.

Most of the packages depict the hapy family scenario that you will
experience as soon as you buy the product. (But there are no teens gone
wild, Scouts on the loose, seniors, beer parties, tiny kids in filthy
swimsuits crying in a kiddie pool, musicians at jam sessions or folks
drying their shorts.) One was amusing: it's a screenhouse, all arranged
with a picnic table full of food, dad and the two kids sitting there
beaming at mom...who is clipping the tent fabric to the pole! Noooo!
First you get the tent set up and securely staked, THEN you put your
stuff in it, THEN you sit down to enjoy it.

I think it was the house brand (at the Mejier chain) called Lake &
Trail that depicted a different scene (same photo on all the tent
boxes): mom in the doorway of the tent getting ready to join dad and
pre-teen junior on their fun-filled family activity. But there's no
picnic table or gas grill or satellite dish in sight: Everyone's in
lycra, the guys are astride their ATBs, they have sleek go-fast helmets
on, and mom's bike awaits next to them.

Looked like an arid climate, and there weren't nearly enough water
bottles in the shot. But still, it was neat to see real bikes being
used as casual props in a "here's how to have fun" visual.

--Karen D.
still shopping; want the umbrella kind

"Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Went camping this weekend, and decided it's time to upgrade the ol'
> 3-person...
>
> still shopping; want the umbrella kind

Not sure what an umbrella kind is.

We got an REI 3-person last year. We love it. 3 exterior poles, lots
of air flow, water tight rain fly, plenty of interior space, easy to
set up:

http://tinyurl.com/zmz3r

REI got their start making tents, and they still make a great tent
at a good price.
--
terry morse - Undiscovered Country Tours - http://udctours.com/

"Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Went camping this weekend, and decided it's time to upgrade the ol'
> 3-person.
>
> Went shopping.
>
> Most of the packages depict the hapy family scenario that you will
> experience as soon as you buy the product. (But there are no teens gone
> wild, Scouts on the loose, seniors, beer parties, tiny kids in filthy
> swimsuits crying in a kiddie pool, musicians at jam sessions or folks
> drying their shorts.) One was amusing: it's a screenhouse, all arranged
> with a picnic table full of food, dad and the two kids sitting there
> beaming at mom...who is clipping the tent fabric to the pole! Noooo!
> First you get the tent set up and securely staked, THEN you put your
> stuff in it, THEN you sit down to enjoy it.
>
> I think it was the house brand (at the Mejier chain) called Lake &
> Trail that depicted a different scene (same photo on all the tent
> boxes): mom in the doorway of the tent getting ready to join dad and
> pre-teen junior on their fun-filled family activity. But there's no
> picnic table or gas grill or satellite dish in sight: Everyone's in
> lycra, the guys are astride their ATBs, they have sleek go-fast helmets
> on, and mom's bike awaits next to them.
>
> Looked like an arid climate, and there weren't nearly enough water
> bottles in the shot. But still, it was neat to see real bikes being
> used as casual props in a "here's how to have fun" visual.
>
> --Karen D.
> still shopping; want the umbrella kind

I haven't seen an umbrella tent in many many years.
My last umbrella tent sort of decomposed, dry rotted, disintegrated, and it
had been patched and repaired a number of times.
We are using one of those tents that uses some external aluminum poles now
as I couldn't find an umbrella tent either.

"Veloise" <[email protected]> writes:

> Went camping this weekend, and decided it's time to upgrade the ol'
> 3-person.
>
> Went shopping.
>
> Most of the packages depict the hapy family scenario that you will
> experience as soon as you buy the product. (But there are no teens gone
> wild, Scouts on the loose, seniors, beer parties, tiny kids in filthy
> swimsuits crying in a kiddie pool, musicians at jam sessions or folks
> drying their shorts.) One was amusing: it's a screenhouse, all arranged
> with a picnic table full of food, dad and the two kids sitting there
> beaming at mom...who is clipping the tent fabric to the pole! Noooo!
> First you get the tent set up and securely staked, THEN you put your
> stuff in it, THEN you sit down to enjoy it.
>
> I think it was the house brand (at the Mejier chain) called Lake &
> Trail that depicted a different scene (same photo on all the tent
> boxes): mom in the doorway of the tent getting ready to join dad and
> pre-teen junior on their fun-filled family activity. But there's no
> picnic table or gas grill or satellite dish in sight: Everyone's in
> lycra, the guys are astride their ATBs, they have sleek go-fast helmets
> on, and mom's bike awaits next to them.

> Looked like an arid climate, and there weren't nearly enough water
> bottles in the shot. But still, it was neat to see real bikes being
> used as casual props in a "here's how to have fun" visual.

You really found that "neat"? Wow. Maybe I'm losing my sense of
perspective these days, but it sounds totally boring and normal to me.

> --Karen D.
> still shopping; want the umbrella kind

http://www.gmptools.com/nf/17020.htm

Although it looks more like a portable public toilet to me.

--

Terry wrote:
> Not sure what an umbrella kind is.

It's like the one I got at a Service Merchandise about 15 years ago.
Poles are integral to their sleeves, and all you do is take the thing
out of the bag, straighten the poles, set the tent on the ground and
stake it out.

This is very useful in the dark/wind/rain, and also impresses the socks
off the neighbors. "Do you need some help?" By the time they ask, I
have a tent up.

Searching, I found some similar at camptown.com. And there's one at
campmor but they want too much for it. And it's grey.

TIA!

--Karen D.

Terry Morse wrote:

> REI got their start making tents, and they still make a great tent
> at a good price.

Actually. REI got their start importing climbing gear from Europe in the
late '30s.
mark