The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

On 21 Jan 2004 18:53:14 -0800, [email protected] (Chalo)
wrote:
>The shop in question was probably just too scruffy to appeal to an upmarket clientele. A mechanic
>there once observed that not only weren't folks willing to buy a $2000 bike there, but that they
>wouldn't even get one serviced there. Funny, considering that this was where I could get problems
>solved that had stumped me and every other shop I frequent.

Some people don't realize that the greasy guy is the one who actually fixes stuff.

>Chalo Colina
--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:14:51 GMT, jeffbonny
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I have failed financially at two things I am very passionate about: Bikes and playing music. I
>spent years learning enough to be able to make a living at these things only to find that the
>reality of what I had to do to make that living somehow killed the passion.

Reality really sucks. I don't enjoy computers anywhere near as much as I did before I got into that
business -- although being away for a few years now has helped.

>jeffb
--
Rick Onanian

In rec.bicycles.misc Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
: Reality really sucks. I don't enjoy computers anywhere near as much as I did before I got into
: that business -- although being away for a few years now has helped.

i've been in the unix biz since '91 and i still like it as much as i ever have.

what i find myself disliking more and more is the **** people are doing with them. ohh, that and
java IDEs. which goes with that. who knew a language for toasters would get so out of hand.

what's even appalling is that my toaster is still stupid.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > I don't know whether WalMart bikes even use a quick-release instead of a solid bolted axle, but
> > I doubt that the quick-release is that hard to fasten acceptably.
>
> At a local Costco (big-box discount place), I noticed that every QR on every bike was installed
> with the lever turned backward. I did not inspect them for tightness, but I'd not bet on it being
> correct.
>
> I get the feeling we may actually be arguing shades of grey, Mr. Fogel. :)
>
> R.F. Jones

Dear R.F.,

Like you, I'm pretty sure that it's shades of gray about how much to spend and what you get for it.

But I can't resist the obvious comment.

While it's horrifying to you and me to see a quick-release skewer with the lever turned backward, I
have to admit that it would probably work just fine for years on the four-mile commute to school.

And I certainly wouldn't bet on the gang here at rec.bicycles.tech being able to agree on what
"correct" tightness is.

(Wouldn't you hate to be travelling with a typical cross-section of our merry throng in a van and
have a flat tire? Imagine the passionate arguments about the proper order and torque for the five
lug nuts and the fist-fights over whether to grease the threads first!)

Carl Fogel

>>>Michael Zaharis wrote: .. I would speculate that, for every 1 passionate,
>>>>dedicated person making boatloads of money, there are 50 passionate, dedicated people going
>>>>bankrupt or just simply paying the bills, because the area of their passion is in a saturated
>>>>market.

>>Penny S wrote:
>>> more than likely the 49 don't know how to manage and market a specialty niche.

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:25:09 -0500, Michael Zaharis <[email protected]> wrote:
>>True. Passion and business competence don't always go together.

jeffbonny wrote:
> Too, too true and I'd amend that to don't _often_ go together.
>
> I have failed financially at two things I am very passionate about: Bikes and playing music. I
> spent years learning enough to be able to make a living at these things only to find that the
> reality of what I had to do to make that living somehow killed the passion. What, keep good books
> and make sure I had the latest stupid flavored of the month geegaws in stock to sell to the
> flavors of the month folks? HAH! That wasn't why I started and I could never really wrap my mind
> around compromise. Dead end thinking.
>
> I just spent a 16hrs sitting beside a 2.5K followspot admiring Halle Berry dressed up as Catwoman
> (mmmm...) and made more than I would in a week wrenching bikes. I occasionally miss the
> satisfaction of sharing my passion with others but ya gotta pay the bills. I don't know Val 'cept
> by rep but I hope he does ok at whatever comes next. Guys with passion that can even come close to
> keeping an interesting shop going are few and far between.
>
> Anyone who's never had a shop that was their hangout has missed out.

I undertsood your point. I agree, especially about the 'clubhouse' aspect. That's not only nice for
staff, but a refuge for a certain type of customer as well.

Being very much outside the loop, culturally, what is it that you do for a living exactly?

"16hrs sitting beside a 2.5K followspot admiring Halle Berry dressed up as Catwoman "

has no meaning to me .

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > There is a growing niche for deluxe items in the upscale market. If cycling is ever again
> > considered the proper trendy thing to
do, a
> > chi-chi bike boutique or 'concept marketing' construct will do
well.
> > Rivendell, Seven, Airborne and others seem to be making it work.
>
> The model should be the high-end hi-fi store. There's a market for selling to people who don't
> mind about the price in exchange for service.
>
> ian
>

There's not enough snake oil in cycling to follow the Audiophile business model.

On 21 Jan 2004 19:20:06 -0800, [email protected] (Fabrizio
Mazzoleni) wrote:

>Reading that far is the problem, he talks about recumbents and choppers -whatever a chopper is?

It's a big-ass glove made of raw wool and worn by Minnesotans and hosers, but that's not important
right now.

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

>On 21 Jan 2004 19:20:06 -0800, [email protected] (Fabrizio Mazzoleni) wrote:
>
>>Reading that far is the problem, he talks about recumbents and choppers -whatever a chopper is?
>>
>
>It's a big-ass glove made of raw wool and worn by Minnesotans and hosers, but that's not important
>right now.
>
I believe in Minnesota "choppers" wear the gloves when they go out to prepare fuel for the
wood stoves?

In article <o%%Pb.127291$xy6.467152@attbi_s02>,
cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's not enough snake oil in cycling to follow the Audiophile business model.

The sales of XTR front mechanisms, titanium pedals and composite cranks tell me you're wrong.

ian

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:02:39 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Being very much outside the loop, culturally, what is it that you do for a living exactly?
>
>"16hrs sitting beside a 2.5K followspot admiring Halle Berry dressed up as Catwoman "
>
>has no meaning to me .

Sorry, I was tired when I wrote and shoulda just left that obscure **** out.

I'm a rigger and electrician, basically a stagehand who hangs stuff and deals with lighting in
theatre, film and corporate events. A followspot is a spotlight that manually (me) follows the
"talent" and
2.5K refers to the lamp in it being 2500 watts. The job is a Cirque du Soleil type theatre scene in
the film Catwoman starring Halle Berry due out late summer or so.

And the only bike I've seen on set is the Yess urban assault mini cruiser I ride to the theatre.
(that was the bike content)

jeffb

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> On 22 Jan 2004 09:55:20 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
> >[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Does WalMart even sell cleated shoes and pedals?
> >No, I don't think so. They do sell replacement flat pedals, however.
>
> I've seen SPD shoes at ****'s Sporting Goods but I haven't seen any clipless pedals there.
>
> >> saved by not buying our "entry-level" $800 bikes.
> >
> >For MTBs, entry-level is more in the $300-400 range. You can get
>
> That may be the top end of entry-level for MTBs assembled at an LBS; but the last time I checked,
> you can get a reasonably good one for $250, and can probably get a cheap one (but still properly
> assembled) for $150 -- which is the top-end price at WalMart, and probably nearly the same bike,
> just better assembly.

Yes, a Trek 3500 is $249 IIRC.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

jeffbonny wrote:
> I'm a rigger and electrician, basically a stagehand who hangs stuff and deals with lighting in
> theatre, film and corporate events. A followspot is a spotlight that manually (me) follows the
> "talent" and
> 2.5K refers to the lamp in it being 2500 watts. The job is a Cirque du Soleil type theatre scene
> in the film Catwoman starring Halle Berry due out late summer or so.
>

And looking at Halle Berry in a catsuit for 16 hours is NOT your dream job?!

(I know, it sounds better than it really is.)

>In article <o%%Pb.127291$xy6.467152@attbi_s02>, cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There's not enough snake oil in cycling to follow the Audiophile business model.
>
>The sales of XTR front mechanisms, titanium pedals and composite cranks tell me you're wrong.

$2k interconnects and $600 power cords tell me he is right.
--------------
Alex

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >In article <o%%Pb.127291$xy6.467152@attbi_s02>, cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> There's not enough snake oil in cycling to follow the Audiophile business model.
> >
> >The sales of XTR front mechanisms, titanium pedals and composite cranks tell me you're wrong.
>
> $2k interconnects and $600 power cords tell me he is right.

Don't forget $10/ft speaker wire.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > > I don't know whether WalMart bikes even use a quick-release instead of a solid bolted axle,
> > > but I doubt that the quick-release is that hard to fasten acceptably.
> >
> > At a local Costco (big-box discount place), I noticed that every QR on every bike was installed
> > with the lever turned backward. I did not inspect them for tightness, but I'd not bet on it
> > being correct.
> >
> > I get the feeling we may actually be arguing shades of grey, Mr. Fogel. :)
>
> But I can't resist the obvious comment.

I wish you would have.

> While it's horrifying to you and me to see a quick-release skewer with the lever turned
> backward, I have to admit that it would probably work just fine for years on the four-mile
> commute to school.

On man-made surfaces? I will give a grudging "maybe." If the bike is used at all in the dirt, forward-
facing QR levers could spell disaster. And the bikes look like they should be used in the dirt.

> And I certainly wouldn't bet on the gang here at rec.bicycles.tech being able to agree on what
> "correct" tightness is.

I am disappointed, Mr. Fogel. A cheap semantics trick. I think you very well know that my example
could be expanded to *any* fastener on the bike, including very important stem and bar bolts,
seatpost QR, crank bolts, etc., etc.

And if I were to take a wild guess as to which direction the QR is not tightened correctly, I'd
guess "too loose." Some of these bikes actually had cheap disk brake systems. Good enough for
commuting? Maybe.

> (Wouldn't you hate to be travelling with a typical cross-section of our merry throng in a van and
> have a flat tire? Imagine the passionate arguments about the proper order and torque for the five
> lug nuts and the fist-fights over whether to grease the threads first!)

I would doubt that many of these folks would carry a proper torque wrench in their vehicle for such
an occurance, nor grease for the threads. In addition, the owner's manual for the vehicle would
probably state that the "star" pattern for tightening is the one to be used. I think that most folks
would be happy to have one of the group volunteer for the jacking up and tire-change duties, and not
be too picky about how that person goes about doing it. After all, they seem to be a relatively
personable group of folks, if now and then somewhat curmudgeonly.

Now, you have missed the critical bit in this tire-deflation story - presta or schrader?

Regards,

R.F. Jones

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:28:28 -0500, Michael Zaharis
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And looking at Halle Berry in a catsuit for 16 hours is NOT your dream job?!
>
>(I know, it sounds better than it really is.)

Y'know what they say about war being hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of pure
terror? My gig is hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of really having to pee bad.

Top Ten Reasons To Work In Film 10 Money 9 Money 8 Money 7 Money 6 Money 5 Money 4 Money 3 Money 2
Money 1 Catering

jeffb

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 22 Jan 2004 09:55:20 -0800, [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
> >[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
>
> >> saved by not buying our "entry-level" $800 bikes.
> >
> >For MTBs, entry-level is more in the $300-400 range. You can get
>
> That may be the top end of entry-level for MTBs assembled at an LBS; but the last time I checked,
> you can get a reasonably good one for $250, and can probably get a cheap one (but still properly
> assembled) for $150 -- which is the top-end price at WalMart, and probably nearly the same bike,
> just better assembly.

Maybe around your parts, but not here. Low-end Trek MTB is $299. Cheapest new bike around that
*doesn't* come from a big-box store.

> >good, used bikes even cheaper than that. And they will still be higher quality than the dept.
> >store bikes.
>
> Used bikes are where it's at for somebody considering a WalMart bike. You should be able to find a
> properly adjusted used bike at a LBS between $50 and $100, and probably even less.

$99 is the lowest-priced used MTB I've seen here. Had a new chain and brake pads. Obviously from
the late '80s or early '90s, but looked fully functional and actually had decent tread left on
the tires.

> Or, at a yard sale or charity store (Salvation Army) you can find the formerly ubiquitous 10-speed
> road bikes for $10 to $30, often requiring no repairs whatsoever, or maybe requiring two $6
> WalMart 27" tires and $2 tubes. If you're observant, you will often find such bikes being thrown
> away on trash day: free.

Ah, yes - good idea. *If* the purchaser has the tools needed for such things. Around here, if you
bring an old, ugly beater into a shop, they tell you they can't fix it, and that you should really
buy one of "these bikes right here."

BTDT, walked away.

> Those ideas are both cheaper and better, even for two mile commuting, although they do require
> more effort than going to WalMart and getting something that's rideable and returnable if it
> breaks or goes out of adjustment soon.

One of the reasons a lower-end bike from a bike shop is probably a better deal, in the long run.
Those adjustments are often part of the purchase price.

> >If my childhood experiences are any guide, you are most likely correct. But my idea since then
> >has been "buy the best bike you can afford." If WalMart bikes fit that bill, so be it. And if
> >all you
>
> A WalMart bike is rarely the best bike for the price -- although it is the only bike brand-new for
> that price (except their most expensive models, equaled in price but better assembly at LBS).

I would agree. I would steer most folks away from those bike-shaped toys if for no other reason than
they only *look* like they could be ridden on dirt trails. If you only have $100, solid cap on your
bike-purchase, I would still aim folks toward a used LBS bike. I figure that in a year, the used
"real" bike will still be going strong, while the bike-shaped toy will have not aged nearly as well.

As we speak, I have a friend's WalMart bike in my garage for some shifting issues. While I am
dreading the prospect of getting the thing to work acceptably, I am (not so) secretly smug about the
first thing that came out of his mouth when he unexpectedly dropped the thing off: "Do *not* say 'I
told you so'!"

I didn't. But I *thought* it rather loudly. :)

With regards,

Bob

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:27:13 -0800, Bernie <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I believe in Minnesota "choppers" wear the gloves when they go out to prepare fuel for the
>wood stoves?

The gloves are known colloquially as "choppers". From the looks of the people I've seen wearing
them, I would say that the percentage of choppers worn while preparing firewood is approximately
equal to the percentage of USPS team jerseys worn by the cycling team.

In article <[email protected]>, ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net says...
>
>
>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...
>> >In article <o%%Pb.127291$xy6.467152@attbi_s02>, cheg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >> There's not enough snake oil in cycling to follow the Audiophile business model.
>> >
>> >The sales of XTR front mechanisms, titanium pedals and composite cranks tell me you're wrong.
>>
>> $2k interconnects and $600 power cords tell me he is right.
>
>Don't forget $10/ft speaker wire.

The scary part is that $10/ft is not the high end.
------------
Alex