The things you see at a time trial...

killermike wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:02:15 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
>
> > Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
> > chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
> > getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when he
> > was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd

> In our society, the convention is that people have to wear clothes. Some
> bits of the body are considered 'rude'. Some people would argue that these
> standards are ridiculous (including but not limited to nudists and
> naturists, for example). If he's a grown man, I think that he should have
> obeyed convention in this case. His 'freedom' to walk around naked in
> public might conflict with other people's 'freedom' to hold adult nudity
> with a special regard.

If the person in question had been parading his nudity in public you
might find more support for your assertion. Since he wasn't, your
point is just another load of bollox that some people might prefer was
veiled from public view. Whilst I agree with your point about
convention I think it worth emphasising who you believe (or know)
considers nudity to be "rude" (and perhaps what you mesn by rude)
rather than running it straight off the back of the first assertion as
if it is also conventionally acepted that nudity is inherently rude (or
sexual, since I would guess this is what you meant)

> Unfortunately, in this case, I think that you are going to encounter a lot
> of 'Guardian Reader' style sophisticates who will attempt to brow-beat you
> by trying to assure you that you are not as mature or sophisticated as they
> are. They've seen it all before and would barely raise an eye brow (or
> anything else) in the same situation.

Is a "guardian reading sophisticate" related somehow to a dialy mail
reading crypto-facist (even if only by marriage). Is it a similar
relationship between an inadvertent slip of the towel and "walking
around naked in public" (whatever you meant bythat exactly) I think we
should be told.

> Isn't it interesting that the most well know allegorical children's fable
> about brow-beating is actually The Emperor's New Clothes? :)

the clue is in the adjective "allegorical". It wasn't actually /about/
nudity...

best wishes
james

Roos Eisma wrote:

> And on the person & culture, that's the problem.
> In the university sports centre dressing room I see some women go
> to great trouble to not show any nudity while changing (wrap
> yourself in towel, put bra on over towel, pull towel out under
> bra - never seen that trick before), while my feeling is that in a
> single sex dressing room I should be able to take off my clothes
> and walk to the showers naked.

At GlaxoSmithKline one of the problems we had with the women's changing
room was that the luxury showers had a drying area in front of each
cubicle. There were long waits in the mornings because some women would
insist on getting completely changed in the drying area before opening
the door and letting the next person in, instead of simply towelling
off and getting changed in the communal area. I wasn't sure which I
found the more suprising: the selfishness, or the reluctance to change
in front of other women.

There was no problem of this kind in the men's changing room. We seem
to be quite relaxed about showing off our six-packs to each other, real
or imaginery.

--
Dave...

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Given the prevailing weather conditions on
> Saturday afternoon, this was more than somewhat appropriate...

Indeed. You could've swum in that 'puddle' in Preston Candover.

dkahn400 wrote:

> There was no problem of this kind in the men's changing room. We seem
> to be quite relaxed about showing off our six-packs to each other, real
> or imaginery.

I keep mine well hidden, under a comforting layer of blubber..

...d

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> Given the prevailing weather conditions on
>> Saturday afternoon, this was more than somewhat appropriate...

> Indeed. You could've swum in that 'puddle' in Preston Candover.

And shortly before Old Alresford, where there was a minor tributary of the
Itchen flowing across the road. The chap behind me got a wet leg; I got an
early bath. At least it was /warm/ rain...

Whatever it is, I'd like it in mango & passion fruit, please.

dkahn400 wrote:

> There was no problem of this kind in the men's changing room. We seem
> to be quite relaxed about showing off our six-packs to each other, real
> or imaginery.

I traded in my six-pack for a barrel ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven wrote:

> I traded in my six-pack for a barrel ;-)

Far superior capacity.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:58:35 +0100, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Sometimes I suffer from humour bypass, admittedly.
>>

>> I only saw a smiley after the smelling salts comment. Surely if you had
>> no problem with nudity, the episode would not merit any comment, let
>> alone a usenet posting?
>>

>Dear god... Why don't we have an academic post-mortem on why someone posts
>something on Usenet...

One point that no-one else seems to have made is :

Changing rooms ??? At a TT ????? Whassamatter, had they run out of
hegdes ? When I was 'racing', back in the sixties, there weren't
changing rooms even at a cyclo-cross - hosed -down in the yard at HQ
was the best we got. Admittedlt circuit races at Crystal Palace had
covered accomodation - of a sort.

And I'm not sure that a hall, hired (presumably) by a members-only
club, counts as a public place, for those who object to 'public'
nudity (and possibly any other kind ...)

Tony

"Tony Raven" wrote
> Or European mixed saunas (never did get on with the British mixed sauna
> concept of wearing your swimming cozzy in one.

When I spent a summer leading bicycle tours in Austria one of the hotels we
used had two saunas. One had a large sign on the door reading "Nacktbereich"
(nude zone), the other had no sign. Seems there had been complaints to
management about American tourists wearing their swimsuits in the sauna.
--
mark

> prude. It seems one should not find dangly bits amusing, one should be
> totally oblivious to the python six feet away ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s

A friend told me this. His kitten managed to flick its toy into the
toilet while he was in the bathroom undressed. While he was fishing it
out the kitten took an interest in his dangly bits...

Jon

I submit that on or about Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:32:04 +0100, the person
known to the court as "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's
bundle) to the following effect:

> At least it was /warm/ rain...

Ar. A few weeks more and we'll be into Windyrain.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

"wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> writes:

> Aye, seems some missed the ;-) at the end of the post - I should use
> more of them! One after every line!

You're already averaging over a smiley per post. Maybe that's the
problem.

This is the year

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:18:07 +0100, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>(Last TQ we did it wasn't the getting changed which would have annoyed Mrs
>Whitehouse, it was the guy in the white shorts :) )

Why, what on earth did he do ?

"Jon Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A friend told me this. His kitten managed to flick its toy into the
> toilet while he was in the bathroom undressed. While he was fishing it
> out the kitten took an interest in his dangly bits...
>
> Jon

OOW! Cats have been known to go for the old bedsnake under the covers ...

Cheers, helen s

Jon Schneider <[email protected]> writes:

>> prude. It seems one should not find dangly bits amusing, one should be
>> totally oblivious to the python six feet away ;-)

> A friend told me this. His kitten managed to flick its toy into the
> toilet while he was in the bathroom undressed. While he was fishing it
> out the kitten took an interest in his dangly bits...

A guy from work relates a story where he thought he had a boil on his
bum and thought he'd have a look to check. He sat on the edge of his
bed with a desklight pointing upwards and holding his old feller out
of the way, had a good look at his bum. Unfortunately his grip could
have been a little better and by now the lightbulb was rather warm.
Ouch!!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:18:07 +0100, "Clive George"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>(Last TQ we did it wasn't the getting changed which would have annoyed Mrs
>>Whitehouse, it was the guy in the white shorts :) )

> Why, what on earth did he do ?

Wore white shorts?

I believe Helen has posted pictures of the horrors which result from such
things..

cheers,
clive

> I believe Helen has posted pictures of the horrors which result from
> such things..

What, something like:

<URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-
members.co.uk/tomponet/cycling/Lycra/warning.htm>

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
>
>>Dave Larrington wrote:
>>

>>>Given the prevailing weather conditions on
>>>Saturday afternoon, this was more than somewhat appropriate...

>>Indeed. You could've swum in that 'puddle' in Preston Candover.

> And shortly before Old Alresford, where there was a minor tributary of the
> Itchen flowing across the road. The chap behind me got a wet leg; I got an
> early bath. At least it was /warm/ rain...

So what event were you guys riding? One of the Denmeads?

Mike

On 15 Aug 2005 04:37:54 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> killermike wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:02:15 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
>>
>>> Nathan did a TT this morning. Back at the HQ, Nathan, Vernon & I were
>>> chatting to another rider. Facing me, and behind Vernon was another rider,
>>> getting changed in the main hall (not the loos). Put it this way, when he
>>> was getting changed out of his shorts, it was *clear* and *obvious* he'd

>> In our society, the convention is that people have to wear clothes. Some
>> bits of the body are considered 'rude'. Some people would argue that these
>> standards are ridiculous (including but not limited to nudists and
>> naturists, for example). If he's a grown man, I think that he should have
>> obeyed convention in this case. His 'freedom' to walk around naked in
>> public might conflict with other people's 'freedom' to hold adult nudity
>> with a special regard.

> If the person in question had been parading his nudity in public you
> might find more support for your assertion. Since he wasn't, your
> point is just another load of bollox that some people might prefer was
> veiled from public view. Whilst I agree with your point about
> convention I think it worth emphasising who you believe (or know)
> considers nudity to be "rude" (and perhaps what you mesn by rude)
> rather than running it straight off the back of the first assertion as
> if it is also conventionally acepted that nudity is inherently rude (or
> sexual, since I would guess this is what you meant)
>
>> Unfortunately, in this case, I think that you are going to encounter a lot
>> of 'Guardian Reader' style sophisticates who will attempt to brow-beat you
>> by trying to assure you that you are not as mature or sophisticated as they
>> are. They've seen it all before and would barely raise an eye brow (or
>> anything else) in the same situation.

> Is a "guardian reading sophisticate" related somehow to a dialy mail
> reading crypto-facist (even if only by marriage). Is it a similar
> relationship between an inadvertent slip of the towel and "walking
> around naked in public" (whatever you meant bythat exactly) I think we
> should be told.
>
>> Isn't it interesting that the most well know allegorical children's fable
>> about brow-beating is actually The Emperor's New Clothes? :)

> the clue is in the adjective "allegorical". It wasn't actually /about/
> nudity...
>
> best wishes
> james

Oh Ch**** aren't we getting a bit serious over this? He should have tied
his towel better and he should have had more consideration for others it's
as simple as that. Trouble with people now is they have no Bl**** regard
for anyone but themselves, well some of them.

Sniper8052

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:37:55 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:

> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> snip
>
> Though at least on these occasions there isn't generally /that/ much to
> see! ;-)
>
> Pete.

Like the naked guy I arrested in six inches of snow, G** knows where it
went but I swear he didn't have one!

< Snip>
> > I thought this was the norm?
> >

> I've never heard it referred to as 'Norm' before.

Truly? Did you not know that *Percy* was once a *Pillock* hence the term
pillock being used as an expletive.

Sniper8052