Tifosi CK7 Questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Micheal Ra, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Micheal Ra

    Micheal Ra Guest

    I'm interested in a Tifosi CK7 and have a couple of questions.

    How stiff are the frames? The reason I ask is that my 2002 Dawes
    Chilliwack (a 7005-T6 affair with a top-tube slope similar to that of
    the 2004 Giant TCR/OCR frames) can show disconcerting amount lot of
    sideways movement at the bottom bracket under load. I'm not
    particularly heavy for my height (12st 7lbs at 6'2") and spin at a
    cadence of around 95 rather than mashing big gears. With a 35" inseam
    I guess I'd need the largest frame size. Does anybody have this size
    frame in the Tifosi? Does it flex much?

    What are the cassette and chainring sizes for the 10sp Veloce? I
    would guess something like 12-26 or 13-26 and 52/42/30 or 52/40/30.
    However I can't find much information on the Web about Campagnolo
    sizes. (Sheldon's wonderful for Shimano, but there appears to be no
    equivalent source for Campagnolo.)

    Thanks in advance,
    Mr. Chilliwack

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Micheal Ra
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > What are the cassette and chainring sizes for the 10sp Veloce? I
    > would guess something like 12-26 or 13-26 and 52/42/30 or 52/40/30.
    > However I can't find much information on the Web about Campagnolo
    > sizes. (Sheldon's wonderful for Shimano, but there appears to be no
    > equivalent source for Campagnolo.)

    Uhhhhmmmm... Campagnolo?

    <URL:http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=4&cid=all>

    As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack far
    eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify. 13-26 is not unusual
    but 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29, 14-23 are all standard. At the front,
    39-53, 42-52 (doubles) or 30-42-52 (triple) are standard.

    ...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack far
    > eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify.

    I don't understandyour point. It's perfectly easy to specify Shimano
    drivetrains.

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 11/2/05 7:41 am, in article
    [email protected], "Simon Brooke"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, Micheal Ra
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> What are the cassette and chainring sizes for the 10sp Veloce? I
    >> would guess something like 12-26 or 13-26 and 52/42/30 or 52/40/30.
    >> However I can't find much information on the Web about Campagnolo
    >> sizes. (Sheldon's wonderful for Shimano, but there appears to be no
    >> equivalent source for Campagnolo.)

    > Uhhhhmmmm... Campagnolo?
    >
    > <URL:http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=4&cid=all>
    >
    > As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack far
    > eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify. 13-26 is not unusual
    > but 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29, 14-23 are all standard. At the front,
    > 39-53, 42-52 (doubles) or 30-42-52 (triple) are standard.

    Except thatr the cheapjack far eastern outfit will do cranks in a sensible
    length for short people like me (as do the french lot who also will do
    compact double).

    ...d

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    : As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack far
    : eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify. 13-26 is not unusual
    : but 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29, 14-23 are all standard. At the front,
    : 39-53, 42-52 (doubles) or 30-42-52 (triple) are standard.

    And 30-40-50 triple, which I've always felt is an excellent choice.

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Micheal Ra <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I'm interested in a Tifosi CK7 and have a couple of questions.

    Good choice sir. I have one as well :)

    : How stiff are the frames?

    Stiff. It's overbuilt Al. Granted, I'm not heavy, but it is solid

    : cadence of around 95 rather than mashing big gears. With a 35" inseam
    : I guess I'd need the largest frame size. Does anybody have this size
    : frame in the Tifosi? Does it flex much?

    I have the "L" rather than the XL and I'm 6' 1" with and take 34" leg
    trousers if that's any help.

    I'd say you'll be on the join between the two. If you have a long torso
    or like the bars quite high, go for the larger. When I ordered mine
    (via my LBS) they rang Tifosi up and said "we want a bike for a customer
    who is 6' 1" and lanky, what size should we get" and the guy at the
    other end said "sounds like me, get a L not a XL". Service.

    Gearing wise, I'd go for 30/40/50 triple 175mm cranks and a 12-25 or
    13-26 block.

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Micheal Ra wrote:

    > What are the cassette and chainring sizes for the 10sp Veloce? I
    > would guess something like 12-26 or 13-26 and 52/42/30 or 52/40/30.

    Veloce triple chainset is always supplied with 30-42-52, but it's
    reasonable to sell the rings* and replace them (with Campag or TA) if you
    like. I suggest 28/40/50 or 26/39/50 if you want lower gears. Ideally
    the middle ring should be a pinned middle-specific version but double
    inner rings do work(albeit with slower shifting). Get 175mm cranks.

    10sp cassettes: 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29, 14-23.

    * or get supplier to do this as it'll save you removing crank to change
    inner ring

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack
    >> far eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify. 13-26 is not
    >> unusual but 12-23, 12-25, 13-26, 13-29, 14-23 are all standard. At
    >> the front, 39-53, 42-52 (doubles) or 30-42-52 (triple) are standard.

    > And 30-40-50 triple, which I've always felt is an excellent choice.

    But would have to change the rings or go up to Centaur to get it.

    A 28T or smaller granny would be even better if the bottom gear is more of
    a priority than smooth shifting.

    ~PB

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack
    >> far eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify.

    > I don't understandyour point. It's perfectly easy to specify Shimano
    > drivetrains.

    I was seeing who I could tempt over the bridge.

    The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
    the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

  10. Tom Orr

    Tom Orr Guest

    Micheal Ra wrote:
    > I'm interested in a Tifosi CK7 and have a couple of questions.
    >
    > How stiff are the frames? The reason I ask is that my 2002 Dawes
    > Chilliwack (a 7005-T6 affair with a top-tube slope similar to that of
    > the 2004 Giant TCR/OCR frames) can show disconcerting amount lot of
    > sideways movement at the bottom bracket under load. I'm not
    > particularly heavy for my height (12st 7lbs at 6'2") and spin at a
    > cadence of around 95 rather than mashing big gears. With a 35" inseam
    > I guess I'd need the largest frame size. Does anybody have this size
    > frame in the Tifosi? Does it flex much?

    Michael

    I have the CK4. I am the same height as you and a few pounds lighter. I
    bought the large (L) size after discussing it with the shop staff. It feels
    right for me.

    I'm not sure about flex at the BB - how can I tell?

    You have a much longer inseam than I have. I'm 32" and I use 170mm cranks. I
    have heard that you should use shorter cranks if you like to spin or have
    knee trouble, longer if you like to mash. Arthur's advice sounds right.

    Tom.

  11. > I'm not sure about flex at the BB - how can I tell?

    Find a straight bit of road, look down at BB, accelerate like mad.

  12. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >>> As to what it 'comes with', this is Campagnolo, not some cheapjack
    >>> far eastern outfit. It comes with what you specify.

    >> I don't understandyour point. It's perfectly easy to specify Shimano
    >> drivetrains.

    > I was seeing who I could tempt over the bridge.

    <sniff>

  13. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> I'm not sure about flex at the BB - how can I tell?

    > Find a straight bit of road, look down at BB, accelerate like mad.

    Is this a good idea?

  14. >> Find a straight bit of road, look down at BB, accelerate like mad.

    > Is this a good idea?

    At least you won't know what hit you.

  15. Tom Orr

    Tom Orr Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >> Find a straight bit of road, look down at BB, accelerate like mad.

    > > Is this a good idea?

    > At least you won't know what hit you.

    I did a couple of sprints this morning on the CK4. If a slight chain rub on
    the front mech in top which becomes a major chain rub when sprinting is a
    sign of frame flex then the frame does flex. A fair bit would guess.

    Tom.

    (NB I kept my head up the whole time.)

  16. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Tom Orr wrote:

    > I did a couple of sprints this morning on the CK4. If a slight chain rub on
    > the front mech in top which becomes a major chain rub when sprinting is a
    > sign of frame flex then the frame does flex. A fair bit would guess.

    This rub is more likely the result of the BB spindle flexing than the
    frame. Especially if it happens (as it usually does) on the right
    downstroke and not the left.

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  17. > This rub is more likely the result of the BB spindle flexing than the
    > frame. Especially if it happens (as it usually does) on the right
    > downstroke and not the left.

    Is that a sign of a cheap BB spindle, or do they all flex a significant
    amount?

  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, James Annan
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Tom Orr wrote:
    >
    >> I did a couple of sprints this morning on the CK4. If a slight chain
    >> rub on the front mech in top which becomes a major chain rub when
    >> sprinting is a
    >> sign of frame flex then the frame does flex. A fair bit would guess.

    > This rub is more likely the result of the BB spindle flexing than the
    > frame. Especially if it happens (as it usually does) on the right
    > downstroke and not the left.

    Can also be the crank/spider assembly flexing, particularly on cheap
    cranksets with pressed steel spiders. My Raleigh Record Sprint has such
    a thing...

    ;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
    ;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
    ;; anonymous

  19. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> This rub is more likely the result of the BB spindle flexing than the
    >> frame. Especially if it happens (as it usually does) on the right
    >> downstroke and not the left.

    > Is that a sign of a cheap BB spindle, or do they all flex a
    > significant amount?

    Shouldn't normally be enough to worry about, but it's not uncommon for
    even good frames/spindles/cranks/spiders to flex enough to cause rubbing
    if the mech is adjusted with hardly any clearance. I don't think it's a
    particularly good way to judge stiffness.

    You could casually test total stiffness by standing besides bike (facing
    the side of bike) and forcing flex via the pedal.

    ~PB

  20. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > Find a straight bit of road, look down at BB, accelerate like mad.

    ....locate parked vehicle.

    I've seen this done (Or rather, I heard the tale and saw the aftermath).
    I wouldn't recommend it.

    How about; Find a straight bit of road, get mate to ride behind and look
    at your BB, accelerate like mad.

    Jon