Tight tire fit

jakefm

Nov 9, 2005
I just bought a new pair of shimano R560s and a continental attack/force set to go with them. This combination is far and away the most difficult Ive ever tried to mount. Im trying to find out if its the tires or wheels are to blame or if both are contributing to my mounting woes. I finally got them on and then pinch flatted after my first ride, and havent fixed them yet. Anybody whose tried either or both of these products would be much appeciated if they'd weigh in.

The expensive Contis are tight, however the rim is entry level. Why such an expensive tyre? I would use Ultra Gator Skins on WH-R560 rims. :confused:

Did you inflate them with a good floor pump with a gauge? ;)

Some combinations are more difficult than others. It seems to me that foldable tires with Kevlar beads are more difficult to mount than tires with wire beads. I doubt that the difficulty of installation contributed to your pinch flat. That is more likely due to under-inflation. It certainly is frustrating though.

Good deal on tires and wheels, as why I have the rim tire combo. I bought the tires for a strong relatively light weight wheelset.

No i dont consider that pinch flat and tight fit related just bad luck.

If anybodys reading this and know of a good wheelset for a big guy. 6'2" 190lbs
id read that the r560s where bullet proof so thats how I ended up with them

thanks

Wheels are built to a tolerance centered on an accepted standard. Some wheel manufacturers build to the high end of the tolerance, some to the low end, and some to the middle. Same goes for tires. There's nothing wrong with any of 'em, but it does mean that some combos are easier to work with than others.

There are a couple of options for easing the process. You can throw the tires in a dryer for a bit. A dilute soapy water solution sprayed onto the beads helps. Crank Brothers makes the Speedlever which works pretty damned well and is sufficiently inexpensive.

Nearly every tire gets easier to mount/dismount after spending time on the road. Nearly, anyway.

alienator said:
Nearly every tire gets easier to mount/dismount after spending time on the road. Nearly, anyway.
In my experience, that is only true for folding bead tyres, as the kevlar/fancy fibre stretches a little with inflation and use on the road.

Wire beaded ones don't stretch at all, and the only I've been able to get them on is to leave the tyre lying in the sun for a while to allow the steel to expand a bit, and then mount into on a cold rim (stored in the shade).

n

nerdag said:
In my experience, that is only true for folding bead tyres, as the kevlar/fancy fibre stretches a little with inflation and use on the road.

Wire beaded ones don't stretch at all, and the only I've been able to get them on is to leave the tyre lying in the sun for a while to allow the steel to expand a bit, and then mount into on a cold rim (stored in the shade).

n

Well, technically wire beads do stretch as there is nothing that's perfectly rigid, but as I'm just givin' you a bit of the red ass, I gotta say you are right. That's why I said nearly all tires.

I hate mounting Conti tires. Michelins are alright after the first mounting and a bit o' time on the road. Both Maxxix and Schwalbe tires I can mount without tools. I have to say, though, that Vittoria Zaffiros were/are the worst tires to mount that I've ever encountered. I eventually gave up and took 'em to the LBS, and they hated them too.

My bike came with the Shimano R550 rims. It was nearly impossible to mount any tires on them. I tried both Continental GP 3000's and Michelin Pro Race tires. I had to duct tape one lever while with two hands tried to manipulate the other. Unfortunately I had an issue with the rim strip that came with the bike and before I figured it out so I had to change about 4 or 5 flats in the first 500 miles. It became so ridiculous that mainly for that reason I got other wheels. No problems since then. So I would say it is the rims.

Have you checked your rim tape? If you are using thick tape, try some zipp ultra thin stuff. It really does help alot. This made the difference between a combo that could not be changed on the road for me (zipp 404 + conti 3000) and now it's pretty easy to remove.

geraldatwork said:
My bike came with the Shimano R550 rims. It was nearly impossible to mount any tires on them. I tried both Continental GP 3000's and Michelin Pro Race tires. I had to duct tape one lever while with two hands tried to manipulate the other. Unfortunately I had an issue with the rim strip that came with the bike and before I figured it out so I had to change about 4 or 5 flats in the first 500 miles. It became so ridiculous that mainly for that reason I got other wheels. No problems since then. So I would say it is the rims.

dazman said:
Have you checked your rim tape? If you are using thick tape, try some zipp ultra thin stuff. It really does help alot. This made the difference between a combo that could not be changed on the road for me (zipp 404 + conti 3000) and now it's pretty easy to remove.
I'm way beyond that. I even tried the velo plugs, which are great by the way and I was still holding up my club for 20-25 minutes and breaking tire levers. I've got much better wheels now and the same tires that I couldn't get on the R550 wheels now go on without a lever. It is the wheels.

alienator said:
I have to say, though, that Vittoria Zaffiros were/are the worst tires to mount that I've ever encountered. I eventually gave up and took 'em to the LBS, and they hated them too.

I don't recall if it was a Zaffiro or not, but I had a Vittoria tire that took both my husband and myself to mount on the rim...... (one pushing and one pulling) fortunately once it was on, it was bomb proof.

I know this is and old thread, but i just bought Conti Ultra Sport tyres and Campy Khamsin wheels. What an utter nightmare! Talk about tight fitting!! My wife is downstairs right now with arms folded watching TV because i was swearing so much. Pinched two inner tubes trying to fit them. The bike is stitting in the hallway with a flat. F#ck taking the tyre back off, my hands are all blistered. I'll leave it for a few days til i calm down and might pop the wheel into my LBS to get them to fit it. Its impossible. At least if they break the wheel they'll pay for it. I need a bloody drink.

jakefm said:
I just bought a new pair of shimano R560s and a continental attack/force set to go with them. This combination is far and away the most difficult Ive ever tried to mount. Im trying to find out if its the tires or wheels are to blame or if both are contributing to my mounting woes. I finally got them on and then pinch flatted after my first ride, and havent fixed them yet. Anybody whose tried either or both of these products would be much appeciated if they'd weigh in.

MountainPro said:
I know this is and old thread, but i just bought Conti Ultra Sport tyres and Campy Khamsin wheels. What an utter nightmare! Talk about tight fitting!! My wife is downstairs right now with arms folded watching TV because i was swearing so much. Pinched two inner tubes trying to fit them. The bike is stitting in the hallway with a flat. F#ck taking the tyre back off, my hands are all blistered. I'll leave it for a few days til i calm down and might pop the wheel into my LBS to get them to fit it. Its impossible. At least if they break the wheel they'll pay for it. I need a bloody drink.
I never tried it but I read on one of the forums where someone put their tire in the dryer for a few minutes to soften up so it would stretch a little easier. I'd try it on a medium heat setting first. I think they did it when it was rolled up with string but it probably doesn't matter.

The shop I work at has a cheater tool for getting that last lip of tire over the rim. It braces on the far side rim edge, and lifts the tire bead over the near side rim edge. By far my favorite tool in the entire shop. I think it can be ordered from qbp or j&b. Your LBS should be able to get it.

I tried some steel levers on a tight rim. They must have cut through the cords where they surround the bead. I discovered a bulge in the sidewall but foolishly decided to ride home anyway, where I discovered a separation of about an inch and a half between bead and tire. I made it home safe but it could have been bad.

A spin in the dryer would expand a wire bead but may soften the rubber and render the tire more susceptible to damage.

So you are gonna be screwed if you get a flat on the road then.

I think you need to replace your rim tape with those little plastic inserts that go over the holes in the rims(and throw away the rim tape). I've forgotten the name right now and I'm in a rush - but all the big boys sell them now.

Without rim tape you effectively you gain a few mm, save weight and should be able to get your tire on no probs. Good luck!

garage sale GT said:
I tried some steel levers on a tight rim. They must have cut through the cords where they surround the bead. I discovered a bulge in the sidewall but foolishly decided to ride home anyway, where I discovered a separation of about an inch and a half between bead and tire. I made it home safe but it could have been bad.

A spin in the dryer would expand a wire bead but may soften the rubber and render the tire more susceptible to damage.

After a life of changing my own motorcycle tires, the bike stuff is pretty easy for me. Of course I may encounter a *****y set one day , but for now I can take them on and off with hands only . A third "iron" (plastic) may help you a lot .
Pay attention to setting the opposite bead well in the rim vee .

I too, like my velo plugs.

jakefm said:
Good deal on tires and wheels, as why I have the rim tire combo. I bought the tires for a strong relatively light weight wheelset.

No i dont consider that pinch flat and tight fit related just bad luck.

If anybodys reading this and know of a good wheelset for a big guy. 6'2" 190lbs
id read that the r560s where bullet proof so thats how I ended up with them

thanks

shimano hubs, like 6600, DT rims, the double eyelet 1.1 or Mavic CXP-33, DT 14/15 spokes all around laced 3 cross, brass nipps.

dazman said:
So you are gonna be screwed if you get a flat on the road then.

I think you need to replace your rim tape with those little plastic inserts that go over the holes in the rims(and throw away the rim tape). I've forgotten the name right now and I'm in a rush - but all the big boys sell them now.

Without rim tape you effectively you gain a few mm, save weight and should be able to get your tire on no probs. Good luck!
My set was sharp, too. It was a cheapie set and the side which faced the bead had a ridge on it from the forming process. I think a better set would not have cut the cords and I plan to file mine down.

I have to second (or third, can't remember) the mention that Vittorias are THE most difficult tires to mount/dismount. I don't buy them at all (even though I like the ride of them) because of this major hassle...