Tire Question

Muskrat23

Nov 21, 2009
Can I replace a 23 x 700 tire with a 28 x 700, or does it depend on the frame?
I could use a little more stability in my winter commutes- between the dark and oft rain. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Muskrat23 said:
I could use a little more stability in my winter commutes- between the dark and oft rain. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

It depends on the frame.

Lateral stiffness of the wheels too. FWIW, I have some Panaracer's in a 26mm that fit fine in my CAAD8 frame. Good winter tires, cheap and durable.

Muskrat23 said:
I could use a little more stability in my winter commutes- between the dark and oft rain. Appreciate any ideas.
It's not just the frame, but also (and, in some cases, only ...) the fork which will prevent a ROAD frame from using a 700x28 tire -- on some Road frames, it is hard to fit a 700x25 tire!

Apparently, most current ROAD forks can only accommodate a 700x25 tire ... a couple forks which are exceptions are the Colnago CF fork & some Dedacciai CF forks -- heck, a 700x30 almost fits, and might with a wider rim. It could be that the larger tires will fit because those forks have a 45mm offset and so it may be true of other forks which have a 45mm offset IF the underside of the shoulder is shaped in a way where the 'engineer' intentionally made the allowance for larger tires.

Presuming you have a standard (whatever that is!?!) ROAD frame, a quick, but non-conclusive, way to determine whether your frame AND fork can accommodate a 700x28 tire is to look at where the brake pads are located in their adjusting slots (presuming calipers with 39mm-49mm/39-50mm reach) ...

If the pads are near the bottom, then you should be able to use 700x28 tires without any complications.

BTW. A wider/narrower rim will change the profile of the tire ... if the larger tires almost fit, then presuming your current rims are 622-15, if you change 622-17 rims then 700x28 tires may fit in the frame/fork; but, may not. There are wider 700c rims -- I have a pair of SUN Rhynolite rims which I think are 622-22.

If your bike came from the factory with 622-17 rims, then the bike was probably designed for 700x28 (or, larger) tires.

Muskrat23 said:
Thanks for the response. I'm riding a Jamis Ventura Elite with stock fork.
Measure your clearances. It's the only way you'll know for sure. If I had your bike on my stand, that's the only way I'd know for sure.

If you're using 23 mm tires now, figure on diminished clearances of 5 mm to the fork crown and chain and seat stay bridges and 2.5 mm to the fork blades and chain and seat stays. Actual clearances may vary, but these approximations are as good as any.