General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

titanium cookware dangerous?

Started by Zix · · Last activity · 120 posts · 2,547 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 April 2006
Last activity
17 April 2006
Original author
Zix
Posts
120
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,547
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 120
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They didn't change to aluminum at that point and most still are steel

    "Calif Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Not the reason Alum cans became predominant. The can companies had


    to pay

    Quoted message said:

    for the goods when a "Tin" can leaked. The aluminum cans were a


    little move

    Quoted message said:

    expensive, but the lack of a side seam made for a lot less buy


    backs. So

    Quoted message said:

    the beer companies went aluminum as the can companies could sell


    them at a

    Quoted message said:

    cheaper overall cost.

    "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Cans used to be steel and with lead solder seams. People were


    becoming

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    retarded, in many cases, from lead poisoning, similar to some of
    ignorant young'uns here, and they had to change materials.

    Never buy canned good from countries without food standards.

    "GregS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > In article


    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > >aluminum cansa re more often than not lined with some type of
    varnish
    > >but the little point in which you open the can exposes freshly


    bare

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > >aluminum which the beverage is poured through so just about


    every

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    drop
    > >is exposed to raw aluminum
    > >
    > >if you fear titanium make sure you check the ingredients in your
    > >toothpaste
    > >
    >
    > Seems like they make titanium body parts.
    > I wonder if aluminum cans have always been lined.
    > They didn't used to use aluminum for beer cans.
    > Of course here in Pittsburgh, Iron City beer also comes
    > in aluminum bottles. I never took one apart. Supposed to keep


    beer

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    cooler!
    > This same company used to make most of the Samuel Adams.
    >
    > Green olives comes in glass jars and black olives comes
    > in cans. A DJ said this today.
    > Perhaps the acedic nature of green olive packing?
    >
    > greg

    You rarely see a steel beer can! Beer and soda tends to leak more as it is
    under pressure.

  2. "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    WTF is a "compurt" and a "clooged"?


    ========================
    Ah yes, now the dodge. Thanks for proving you have nothing to
    say, chicken-little...

    Quoted message said:


    "rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is that the Alcan webste or yours?
    =============================


    You are that clooged, or just willfully ignorant, aren't you?
    I
    gave you the reference on where to check, I guess you don't
    know
    how to use your compurt any better than you can read real
    data,
    huh?

    Quoted message said:

    "rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > > ASA only contains aluminum in ther Alzheimer ridden USA.
    > >
    > > It is a blood brain barrier clogger.
    > ==================
    > And the excuse for your brain being clogged is......
    >
    > I suggest you read up on actual alzheimer research and what
    > the
    > Alzheimer's Association says, and quit getting your info
    > from
    > chicken-little... Besides, what would you use in place of
    > that
    > foil you wrap your head in to keep the 'bad stuff' out?
    >
    >
    > >
    > > "rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email hidden]...
    > >>
    > >> "MTV" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email hidden]...
    > >> > Zix wrote:
    > >> >> Hi all,
    > >> >>
    > >> >> I've noticed that at camping stores now they are
    > >> >> selling titanium cookware, sometimes coated with
    > >> >> some kind of enamel, but often not. It looks
    > >> >> interesting because it is very lightweight, but
    > >> >> also because it is not aluminum which is dangerous
    > >> >> to use for health reasons.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> But my question is, is titanium any less toxic
    > >> >> in actuality?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Thanks.
    > >> >>
    > >> >
    > >> > Did I miss something? Why would aluminum be toxic?
    > >> > ===========================
    > >> It's another in the growing list of 'the sky is falling'
    > >> scare
    > >> tactics.
    > >> They'll also tell you to stop taking aspirin and
    > >> antacids,
    > >> since
    > >> those cantain far more aluminum than you'll ever get
    > >> from a
    > >> pot.
    > >> The FDA treats anything that can leach into food from
    > >> any
    > >> containers to be an additive. They don't consider
    > >> aluminum
    > >> as
    > >> such.
    > >>
    > >> > MTV
    > >>
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    >
    >

  3. Ron Peterson said:
    R.H. Allen said:

    I wouldn't worry about the safety of titanium, but I'm not sure how I
    would like such a light pan. Though I can see how that would be an
    advantage to someone hiking and camping....

    Titanium is intermediate in density 4.54, compared to 2.7 for aluminum,
    and 7.87 for iron.

    Huh. So it is. One of those things that you're sure you know, but you
    really don't....

  4. "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    WTF is a "compurt" and a "clooged"?

    Probably a combination of poor education and various chemicals.

  5. I posted a similar question on rec.food.cooking. Here's a link to the
    discussion:

    http://tinyurl.com/egrkv

    Also, what type of cans are Fosters' Lager and they mini keg cans?

    Jim

  6. "GregS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Green olives comes in glass jars and black olives comes
    in cans. A DJ said this today.
    Perhaps the acedic nature of green olive packing?

    greg

    I have always wondered about the olive thing, and we have discussed this as
    a family here oddly enough. The prevailing thought here is it is to help
    the blind tell them apart.....
    ;-)
    Tomes

  7. You rarely see a can of vegetables made from aluminum.

    Beer was only some obsession of some poster.

    "Calif Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You rarely see a steel beer can! Beer and soda tends to leak more


    as it is

    Quoted message said:

    under pressure.

  8. "Ron Peterson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    R.H. Allen said:

    I wouldn't worry about the safety of titanium, but I'm not sure how I
    would like such a light pan. Though I can see how that would be an
    advantage to someone hiking and camping....

    Titanium is intermediate in density 4.54, compared to 2.7 for aluminum,
    and 7.87 for iron.

    It's also almost as strong and tough as steel, but aluminium isn't. So your can
    make much lighter items with Ti. But for cooking (well, frying pans anyway)
    you want something that acts like a heat reservoir.

    Quoted message said:

    Titanium is very resistant to heat and has been used in jet engines.

    It's wonderful stuff, but a hard to machine!

    N.

  9. <snipped it all due to extreme boredom with this thread>
    Are we STILL going on about this? I will continue to use aluminum pots and
    pans unless eating food from them makes me glow in the dark or grow a third
    eye or something. There! Nuff said!
    Muzzleloader

  10. If you are so bored with the topic, then why did your post a response? Not
    very smart, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.

    "muzzleloader" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <snipped it all due to extreme boredom with this thread>
    Are we STILL going on about this? I will continue to use aluminum pots and
    pans unless eating food from them makes me glow in the dark or grow a
    third eye or something. There! Nuff said!
    Muzzleloader

  11. Zix said:

    Hi all,

    I've noticed that at camping stores now they are
    selling titanium cookware, sometimes coated with
    some kind of enamel, but often not. It looks
    interesting because it is very lightweight, but
    also because it is not aluminum which is dangerous
    to use for health reasons.

    But my question is, is titanium any less toxic
    in actuality?

    Thanks.

    I'm using magnesium cookware for car camping. I'ts about the same
    weight as iron, but comes in cool colors. I just worry about
    overheating it.

  12. Those holes in your cookware are not for fat drainage they are for the
    bolts on your car wheels.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm using magnesium cookware for car camping. I'ts about the same
    weight as iron, but comes in cool colors. I just worry about
    overheating it.

  13. Quoted message said:


    Zix said:

    Hi all,

    I've noticed that at camping stores now they are
    selling titanium cookware, sometimes coated with
    some kind of enamel, but often not. It looks
    interesting because it is very lightweight, but
    also because it is not aluminum which is dangerous
    to use for health reasons.

    But my question is, is titanium any less toxic
    in actuality?

    Thanks.

    I'm using magnesium cookware for car camping. I'ts about the same
    weight as iron, but comes in cool colors. I just worry about
    overheating it.

    But when it's done glowing, your food will be cooked all through.
    Every little ash of it.
    --

    r.bc: vixen
    Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..
    Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.
    Really.

  14. "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you are so bored with the topic, then why did your post a response? Not
    very smart, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.


    Just so I could bring trolls out from under the bridge, of course!
    Muzzleloader
    --
    "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you teach a man
    to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."

  15. You got a large fish that time.

    I am not sure if Ron is proud to be a troll yet.

    "muzzleloader" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you are so bored with the topic, then why did your post a


    response? Not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very smart, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.


    Just so I could bring trolls out from under the bridge, of course!
    Muzzleloader
    --
    "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you


    teach a man

    Quoted message said:

    to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."

  16. I may have strong opinions and I may not always be the nicest person when it
    comes to my responses to a fool like you, but I certainly am not a troll. I
    have never posted a message designed to disrupt the flow of the newsgroup or
    to be offensive. I will continue to call a spade a spade, but that is just
    the way I am. If you don't like being called out for your insane posts,
    don't make them.

    "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You got a large fish that time.

    I am not sure if Ron is proud to be a troll yet.

    "muzzleloader" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you are so bored with the topic, then why did your post a


    response? Not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    very smart, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.


    Just so I could bring trolls out from under the bridge, of course!
    Muzzleloader
    --
    "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you


    teach a man

    Quoted message said:

    to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."

  17. Aren't you disrupting the flow of the newsgroup by calling me a fool? It
    doesn't sound like an on topic reply in my mind. Also, if you re read my
    post, I was not being offensive, I was just stating my opinion. I too am
    very opinionated . If you don't like it, don't read or respond to my posts.
    Now, to bring this thread back to it's original theme, i.e.: ON TRACK, I
    really don't see any difference whether one uses aluminum, titanium,
    magnesium, steel or cast iron pans either in the woods or at home. The type
    of pan one uses is personal preference. When I camp near the car, I use my
    heavy cast iron, when I go wilderness camping, I bring my light weight pans,
    some are aluminum, some are light weight steel.

    Muzzleloader
    --
    "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you teach a man
    to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."

    "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I may have strong opinions and I may not always be the nicest person when
    it comes to my responses to a fool like you, but I certainly am not a
    troll. I have never posted a message designed to disrupt the flow of the
    newsgroup or to be offensive. I will continue to call a spade a spade, but
    that is just the way I am. If you don't like being called out for your
    insane posts, don't make them.

    "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You got a large fish that time.

    I am not sure if Ron is proud to be a troll yet.

    "muzzleloader" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > If you are so bored with the topic, then why did your post a


    response? Not

    Quoted message said:

    > very smart, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.
    >
    Just so I could bring trolls out from under the bridge, of course!
    Muzzleloader
    --
    "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you


    teach a man

    Quoted message said:

    to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."

  18. I had to put him in the bozo bin quite some time ago.

    You may have to do the same to keep the NG sane and without continual
    ad hominem attacks.

    "muzzleloader" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Aren't you disrupting the flow of the newsgroup by calling me a


    fool? It

    Quoted message said:

    doesn't sound like an on topic reply in my mind. Also, if you re


    read my

    Quoted message said:

    post, I was not being offensive, I was just stating my opinion. I


    too am

    Quoted message said:

    very opinionated . If you don't like it, don't read or respond to my


    posts.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, to bring this thread back to it's original theme, i.e.: ON


    TRACK, I

    Quoted message said:

    really don't see any difference whether one uses aluminum, titanium,
    magnesium, steel or cast iron pans either in the woods or at home.


    The type

    Quoted message said:

    of pan one uses is personal preference. When I camp near the car, I


    use my

    Quoted message said:

    heavy cast iron, when I go wilderness camping, I bring my light


    weight pans,

    Quoted message said:

    some are aluminum, some are light weight steel.

    Muzzleloader
    --
    "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you


    teach a man

    Quoted message said:

    to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."

    "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I may have strong opinions and I may not always be the nicest


    person when

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it comes to my responses to a fool like you, but I certainly am not


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    troll. I have never posted a message designed to disrupt the flow


    of the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    newsgroup or to be offensive. I will continue to call a spade a


    spade, but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that is just the way I am. If you don't like being called out for


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    insane posts, don't make them.

    "Solar Flare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You got a large fish that time.

    I am not sure if Ron is proud to be a troll yet.

    "muzzleloader" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Ron Purvis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > > If you are so bored with the topic, then why did your post a
    response? Not
    > > very smart, but if it floats your boat then go ahead.
    > >
    > Just so I could bring trolls out from under the bridge, of


    course!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Muzzleloader
    > --
    > "If you hand a man a website, he surfs for one day, but if you
    teach a man
    > to Google, he surfs for a lifetime."
    >
    >

  19. Only if you eat from it.

    Or stockpile too much.

    N.

  20. "Neryl Chypes" <[email hidden]> wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    Only if you eat from it.

    Or stockpile too much.

    N.

    The nesting set is to be avoided.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.