towing kids...

Determined

Guest
I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and around
the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike. Has anyone
else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and take her along
too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

det

In article <R3dsa.689726$3D1.383774@sccrnsc01>, [email protected] says...
> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?
>
> det

No idea but i can imagine the "bug screen" would almost be required as bits of dirt and pebbles may
be kicked up in the tire at your kid.

My best guess would be that up hill it would feel like your dragging a brake, and down hill it would
feel like your brakes are worn out. on even terrain it would feel like a little of both (pulls when
you accelerate, and pushes when you coast). I can imagine the turns may pull a little funny as well.

I'm basing this on the one time i pulled a trailer with my car as i have no kids, nor a kid trailer.

If i recall, John G. has kids and i think he has mentioned several time that he has a kid trailer as
well. if this is so, he would most likely be of a better source of information.

I have a few times thought of getting a B.O.B. trailer for carrying the tools i use when i help
maintain a few of the trails (beats hiking in with a backpack).

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

determined wrote:
> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet.

Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.

I've had great luck with one of these:

www.trail-a-bike.com

Trek makes something similar, in 4 different models:

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/kids/mttrain201.jsp

And Giant makes this, in a couple of models:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8822&range=113&-
model=10602

I have even seen people riding the trails around here with their kids in tow on one of these. Great
fun for all concerned! It is a bit more effort to get uphill, of course, but eventually the kid can
learn to contribute to your efforts. And it's really great when you want to go for a city ride but
don;t want the kid on his/her own bike in traffic.

Bill _/)_

Technician wrote:
> In article <R3dsa.689726$3D1.383774@sccrnsc01>, [email protected] says...
>> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
>> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
>> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
>> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?
>>
>> det
>>

> No idea but i can imagine the "bug screen" would almost be required as bits of dirt and pebbles
> may be kicked up in the tire at your kid.
>
> My best guess would be that up hill it would feel like your dragging a brake, and down hill it
> would feel like your brakes are worn out. on even terrain it would feel like a little of both
> (pulls when you accelerate, and pushes when you coast). I can imagine the turns may pull a little
> funny as well.
>
> I'm basing this on the one time i pulled a trailer with my car as i have no kids, nor a kid
> trailer.

Travis... you should stick to topics of which you actually know something about. All if not most
trailers for kids not only have front screens made of clear plastic but they have little
seatbelts too. All you do is work a bit harder. It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my
neighbors all the time. IIRC, there's someone on this ng who does take kids on real trail of some
sort. Most "burley" type trailers aren't suitable for singletrack, but would be find for bike
paths or rail trails.

Another option is a "tag along"... this is a little one wheeled deal that hooks up like a trailer,
but the kid is actually pedaling along with you, and has handlebars as compared to just being a
passenger.

> If i recall, John G. has kids and i think he has mentioned several time that he has a kid trailer
> as well. if this is so, he would most likely be of a better source of information.

Or any one of the parents on this ng.

Penny

determined wrote:
> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

No problems at all!So easy even my wife can do it:
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/NEMBA/2trailer.jpg

And of course my favorite: "Is it nap time yet?"
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/NEMBA/trailer1.jpg

> determined wrote:
> > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet.
>
> Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.

Dammit, Jon, you got me!

Bill "must be a sucker cuz you got me to lol (e pop?)" S.

Sorni wrote:

>>>I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet.
>>
>>Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.
>

> Dammit, Jon, you got me!
>
> Bill "must be a sucker cuz you got me to lol (e pop?)" S.

The idea had me giggling so much, I made a picture of it. Unfortunately, I still can't access my FTP
server to upload it.

Hang on... old website: http://www.bombacommand.iwarp.com/babytray.jpg

> >>Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.
> >

> > Dammit, Jon, you got me!
> >
> > Bill "must be a sucker cuz you got me to lol (e pop?)" S.
>
> The idea had me giggling so much, I made a picture of it. Unfortunately, I still can't access my
> FTP server to upload it.
>
> Hang on... old website: http://www.bombacommand.iwarp.com/babytray.jpg

Just sprinkle some extra-absorbent cat litter in there, and you're ready for ANY development!

Bill "well, that and a safety belt" S.

"determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<R3dsa.689726$3D1.383774@sccrnsc01>...
> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?
>
> det

Depends a lot on you. But [for most folks], it's very easy.

I hauled my kids around like that when they were tiny, & I used to tow a large, loaded cooler behind
my bike to a construction site on Saturdays 15 mi rt, and it gave me a little extra
resistance/exercise.

Paladin

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Technician wrote:
> > In article <R3dsa.689726$3D1.383774@sccrnsc01>, [email protected] says...
> >> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
> >> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
> >> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
> >> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even
> >> pavement?
> >>
> >> det
> >>

> > No idea but i can imagine the "bug screen" would almost be required as bits of dirt and pebbles
> > may be kicked up in the tire at your kid.
> >
> > My best guess would be that up hill it would feel like your dragging a brake, and down hill it
> > would feel like your brakes are worn out. on even terrain it would feel like a little of both
> > (pulls when you accelerate, and pushes when you coast). I can imagine the turns may pull a
> > little funny as well.
> >
> > I'm basing this on the one time i pulled a trailer with my car as i have no kids, nor a kid
> > trailer.
> >

> Travis... you should stick to topics of which you actually know something about. All if not most
> trailers for kids not only have front screens made of clear plastic but they have little
> seatbelts too. All you do is work a bit harder. It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my
> neighbors all the time. IIRC, there's someone on this ng who does take kids on real trail of some
> sort. Most "burley" type trailers aren't suitable for singletrack, but would be find for bike
> paths or rail trails.
>
> Another option is a "tag along"... this is a little one wheeled deal that hooks up like a trailer,
> but the kid is actually pedaling along with you, and has handlebars as compared to just being a
> passenger.
>
> > If i recall, John G. has kids and i think he has mentioned several time that he has a kid
> > trailer as well. if this is so, he would most likely be of a better source of information.
>
> Or any one of the parents on this ng.

Penny, please refrain from leaving so much of that babbling fool's misinformation in your posts if
you must respond to him/it/whatever. If we ignore it, it may actually go away again.

The Trail-A-Bike or Tag-A-Long type "trailer" is the answer. It works well on everything from
pavement to smooth singletrack.

JD

JD wrote:
> Penny, please refrain from leaving so much of that babbling fool's misinformation in your posts if
> you must respond to him/it/whatever. If we ignore it, it may actually go away again.

Or he could use his oportunity to turn it around and become a functioning member of society..... Hey
stranger things have happened. We gave him the tools he needs the rest is up to him..... Sink or
swim, it's up to him.

> The Trail-A-Bike or Tag-A-Long type "trailer" is the answer. It works well on everything from
> pavement to smooth singletrack.

But w/a trail-a-bike, if you take a digger, doesn't the kid go down too? I know the Burly trailers
have a U-Joint arrangement to prevent this.

determined wrote:
> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

You've got two options.

The first would be a trailer. When our kids were yyounger, we had a pair of Burley D'lite
trailers that worked out great. With a trailer, your kid can bring along, books, toys,
snacks, or even a friend (the D'Lite had seatbelts for two). She can also nap comfortably in
a trailer, and is sheltered from the sun, wind and rain. Because the trailer will remain
upright even if your bike falls over, I felt safe enough allowing the kids to ride in their
trailers without helmets. And we bought the stroller conversion kit, so that once we got
wherever we were going to, we could flip the third wheel down and push the trailer around
like a stroller. It is not difficult to pull a trailer on pavements or even gravel trails.
You can definitely feel it back there, though, if you've got a headwind going. Feels like
you're towing a drag chute.

The other option would be a trail-a-bike. We had the Adams trail-a-bike. I think it's
probably more fun on short rides than the trailer. The trail-a-bike helps the kid to build
her endurance and leg strength by allowing her to pedal for as long and hard as she wants,
and rest when she needs to. However, she can't nap on long rides, and there's no way she can
bring a friend along. However, you can do singletrack with a trail-a-bike in tow, which is
pretty much out of the question with a trailer. Which option will work best for you depends
on what kind of riding you want to do. We ended up with both.

Kathleen

"GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've had great luck with one of these:
>
> www.trail-a-bike.com
>
> Trek makes something similar, in 4 different models:
>
> http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/kids/mttrain201.jsp
>
> And Giant makes this, in a couple of models:
>
> http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8822&range=11-
> 3&model=10602

I agree that a trailercycle is a better choice than a trailer.

I used this
. It attaches to a sturdy rack instead of to the seatpost, so it seemed a lot safer to me. Seatpost
failures aren't that common, but they're not unheard of, and a seatpost failure while connected
to one of those could be very bad. Also, after I bought the Burley, I heard that it corners
better due to the rearward location of the pivot point. Dunno, I never tried the other kind, but
the person who told me had.

David

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've had great luck with one of these:
> >
> > www.trail-a-bike.com
> >
> > Trek makes something similar, in 4 different models:
> >
> > http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/kids/mttrain201.jsp
> >
> > And Giant makes this, in a couple of models:
> >
> > http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8822&range=-
> > 113&model=10602
> >

> I agree that a trailercycle is a better choice than a trailer.
>
> I used this

http://www.burley.com/products/childrens-products/default.aspx?p=Piccolo&i=4

&%$#! Outlook Express send my last post while I was still composing it.

On Thu, 01 May 2003 10:46:25 -0700, determined wrote:

> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

I have no personal experience with this, but one of the funniest things I saw last summer was a lady
on a ten-speed hauling butt down Hwy 30 (the part that's closed to cars, duh) with one of those
trailers. Two kids were in it, hanging on for dear life, eyes & mouths wide open and screaming at
the top of their lungs. They were loving it.

gabrielle

On Thu, 01 May 2003 11:20:09 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

> It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my neighbors all the time.

Kids or trailer?

<g, d & r>

gabrielle

I used a trailer to carry 2 small kids. They loved every minute of it. I carried other things like 3
cases of 20 oz bottles of coke to the last load of boxes that wouldn't fit in the moving truck. Even
picked up a kid left at the doctors by his mother that couldn't make it back to pick him up. Instep
trailers are nice and low cost. I've been even thinking about getting a replacement. The one I had
lasted a good 4 years till I jumped a curb with to heavy a load and the axcel broke.

Fire up MTB 03

> But w/a trail-a-bike, if you take a digger, doesn't the kid go down too? I know the Burly trailers
> have a U-Joint arrangement to prevent this.

We have and he does, but it is pretty uncommon. Once was an underpass near the creek after a flood,
lots of slick mud on the bike path. It is like those shots you see of 18 wheelers where the trailer
starts to come around in front of the cab. No one was hurt, but we did get way muddy. The other time
was waiting at a stop light, imagine a 6 year old getting distracted and not paying attention, so as
unlikely as that seems, the light turned green, I started going and he slid off the seat and planted
his butt on the pavement. Again no one was hurt.

Craig Brossman

gabrielle wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2003 11:20:09 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
>>It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my neighbors all the time.
> Kids or trailer?
>
> <g, d & r>

My best bud used to "baby-sit" my daughter on Saturday nights while _he_ went grocery shopping.
(gave us some "quiet time" to ourselves ;-) \ Seems Saturday night is a very popular time for single
women to be shopping and he got LOTS of attention carting the baby around, and picked up quite a few
dates: "Ohh she's soo cute..." "Thanks but she's not mine, I'm babysitting for my friends." "ohh you
are such a good friend..... yaddah, yaddah... here's my phone #, call me sometime, etc."