towing kids...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Determined, May 1, 2003.

  1. Determined

    Determined Guest

    I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and around
    the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike. Has anyone
    else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and take her along
    too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

    det

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    > take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?
    >
    > det

    No idea but i can imagine the "bug screen" would almost be required as bits of dirt and pebbles may
    be kicked up in the tire at your kid.

    My best guess would be that up hill it would feel like your dragging a brake, and down hill it would
    feel like your brakes are worn out. on even terrain it would feel like a little of both (pulls when
    you accelerate, and pushes when you coast). I can imagine the turns may pull a little funny as well.

    I'm basing this on the one time i pulled a trailer with my car as i have no kids, nor a kid trailer.

    If i recall, John G. has kids and i think he has mentioned several time that he has a kid trailer as
    well. if this is so, he would most likely be of a better source of information.

    I have a few times thought of getting a B.O.B. trailer for carrying the tools i use when i help
    maintain a few of the trails (beats hiking in with a backpack).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    determined wrote:
    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet.

    Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.

  4. Giganews

    Giganews Guest

    I've had great luck with one of these:

    www.trail-a-bike.com

    Trek makes something similar, in 4 different models:

    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/kids/mttrain201.jsp

    And Giant makes this, in a couple of models:

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8822&range=113&-
    model=10602

    I have even seen people riding the trails around here with their kids in tow on one of these. Great
    fun for all concerned! It is a bit more effort to get uphill, of course, but eventually the kid can
    learn to contribute to your efforts. And it's really great when you want to go for a city ride but
    don;t want the kid on his/her own bike in traffic.

    Bill _/)_

    "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise
    and
    > take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid
    on
    > fairly even pavement?
    >
    > det

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician wrote:
    >> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    >> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    >> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    >> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?
    >>
    >> det
    >>

    > No idea but i can imagine the "bug screen" would almost be required as bits of dirt and pebbles
    > may be kicked up in the tire at your kid.
    >
    > My best guess would be that up hill it would feel like your dragging a brake, and down hill it
    > would feel like your brakes are worn out. on even terrain it would feel like a little of both
    > (pulls when you accelerate, and pushes when you coast). I can imagine the turns may pull a little
    > funny as well.
    >
    > I'm basing this on the one time i pulled a trailer with my car as i have no kids, nor a kid
    > trailer.

    Travis... you should stick to topics of which you actually know something about. All if not most
    trailers for kids not only have front screens made of clear plastic but they have little
    seatbelts too. All you do is work a bit harder. It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my
    neighbors all the time. IIRC, there's someone on this ng who does take kids on real trail of some
    sort. Most "burley" type trailers aren't suitable for singletrack, but would be find for bike
    paths or rail trails.

    Another option is a "tag along"... this is a little one wheeled deal that hooks up like a trailer,
    but the kid is actually pedaling along with you, and has handlebars as compared to just being a
    passenger.

    > If i recall, John G. has kids and i think he has mentioned several time that he has a kid trailer
    > as well. if this is so, he would most likely be of a better source of information.

    Or any one of the parents on this ng.

    Penny

  6. John G

    John G Guest

    determined wrote:
    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    > take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

    No problems at all!So easy even my wife can do it:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/NEMBA/2trailer.jpg

    And of course my favorite: "Is it nap time yet?"
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/NEMBA/trailer1.jpg

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > determined wrote:
    > > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet.
    >
    > Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.

    Dammit, Jon, you got me!

    Bill "must be a sucker cuz you got me to lol (e pop?)" S.

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Sorni wrote:

    >>>I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet.
    >>
    >>Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.
    >

    > Dammit, Jon, you got me!
    >
    > Bill "must be a sucker cuz you got me to lol (e pop?)" S.

    The idea had me giggling so much, I made a picture of it. Unfortunately, I still can't access my FTP
    server to upload it.

    Hang on... old website: http://www.bombacommand.iwarp.com/babytray.jpg

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > >>Dustbin lid, piece of rope and a pair of builders goggles. Sorted.
    > >

    > > Dammit, Jon, you got me!
    > >
    > > Bill "must be a sucker cuz you got me to lol (e pop?)" S.
    >
    > The idea had me giggling so much, I made a picture of it. Unfortunately, I still can't access my
    > FTP server to upload it.
    >
    > Hang on... old website: http://www.bombacommand.iwarp.com/babytray.jpg

    Just sprinkle some extra-absorbent cat litter in there, and you're ready for ANY development!

    Bill "well, that and a safety belt" S.

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "determined" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    > take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?
    >
    > det

    Depends a lot on you. But [for most folks], it's very easy.

    I hauled my kids around like that when they were tiny, & I used to tow a large, loaded cooler behind
    my bike to a construction site on Saturdays 15 mi rt, and it gave me a little extra
    resistance/exercise.

    Paladin

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Technician wrote:
    > >> I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > >> around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > >> Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    > >> take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even
    > >> pavement?
    > >>
    > >> det
    > >>

    > > No idea but i can imagine the "bug screen" would almost be required as bits of dirt and pebbles
    > > may be kicked up in the tire at your kid.
    > >
    > > My best guess would be that up hill it would feel like your dragging a brake, and down hill it
    > > would feel like your brakes are worn out. on even terrain it would feel like a little of both
    > > (pulls when you accelerate, and pushes when you coast). I can imagine the turns may pull a
    > > little funny as well.
    > >
    > > I'm basing this on the one time i pulled a trailer with my car as i have no kids, nor a kid
    > > trailer.
    > >

    > Travis... you should stick to topics of which you actually know something about. All if not most
    > trailers for kids not only have front screens made of clear plastic but they have little
    > seatbelts too. All you do is work a bit harder. It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my
    > neighbors all the time. IIRC, there's someone on this ng who does take kids on real trail of some
    > sort. Most "burley" type trailers aren't suitable for singletrack, but would be find for bike
    > paths or rail trails.
    >
    > Another option is a "tag along"... this is a little one wheeled deal that hooks up like a trailer,
    > but the kid is actually pedaling along with you, and has handlebars as compared to just being a
    > passenger.
    >
    > > If i recall, John G. has kids and i think he has mentioned several time that he has a kid
    > > trailer as well. if this is so, he would most likely be of a better source of information.
    >
    > Or any one of the parents on this ng.

    Penny, please refrain from leaving so much of that babbling fool's misinformation in your posts if
    you must respond to him/it/whatever. If we ignore it, it may actually go away again.

    The Trail-A-Bike or Tag-A-Long type "trailer" is the answer. It works well on everything from
    pavement to smooth singletrack.

    JD

  12. JD wrote:
    > Penny, please refrain from leaving so much of that babbling fool's misinformation in your posts if
    > you must respond to him/it/whatever. If we ignore it, it may actually go away again.

    Or he could use his oportunity to turn it around and become a functioning member of society..... Hey
    stranger things have happened. We gave him the tools he needs the rest is up to him..... Sink or
    swim, it's up to him.

    > The Trail-A-Bike or Tag-A-Long type "trailer" is the answer. It works well on everything from
    > pavement to smooth singletrack.

    But w/a trail-a-bike, if you take a digger, doesn't the kid go down too? I know the Burly trailers
    have a U-Joint arrangement to prevent this.

  13. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    determined wrote:
    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    > take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

    You've got two options.

    The first would be a trailer. When our kids were yyounger, we had a pair of Burley D'lite
    trailers that worked out great. With a trailer, your kid can bring along, books, toys,
    snacks, or even a friend (the D'Lite had seatbelts for two). She can also nap comfortably in
    a trailer, and is sheltered from the sun, wind and rain. Because the trailer will remain
    upright even if your bike falls over, I felt safe enough allowing the kids to ride in their
    trailers without helmets. And we bought the stroller conversion kit, so that once we got
    wherever we were going to, we could flip the third wheel down and push the trailer around
    like a stroller. It is not difficult to pull a trailer on pavements or even gravel trails.
    You can definitely feel it back there, though, if you've got a headwind going. Feels like
    you're towing a drag chute.

    The other option would be a trail-a-bike. We had the Adams trail-a-bike. I think it's
    probably more fun on short rides than the trailer. The trail-a-bike helps the kid to build
    her endurance and leg strength by allowing her to pedal for as long and hard as she wants,
    and rest when she needs to. However, she can't nap on long rides, and there's no way she can
    bring a friend along. However, you can do singletrack with a trail-a-bike in tow, which is
    pretty much out of the question with a trailer. Which option will work best for you depends
    on what kind of riding you want to do. We ended up with both.

    Kathleen

  14. David

    David Guest

    "GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've had great luck with one of these:
    >
    > www.trail-a-bike.com
    >
    > Trek makes something similar, in 4 different models:
    >
    > http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/kids/mttrain201.jsp
    >
    > And Giant makes this, in a couple of models:
    >
    > http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8822&range=11-
    > 3&model=10602

    I agree that a trailercycle is a better choice than a trailer.

    I used this
    . It attaches to a sturdy rack instead of to the seatpost, so it seemed a lot safer to me. Seatpost
    failures aren't that common, but they're not unheard of, and a seatpost failure while connected
    to one of those could be very bad. Also, after I bought the Burley, I heard that it corners
    better due to the rearward location of the pivot point. Dunno, I never tried the other kind, but
    the person who told me had.

    David

  15. David

    David Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "GigaNews" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've had great luck with one of these:
    > >
    > > www.trail-a-bike.com
    > >
    > > Trek makes something similar, in 4 different models:
    > >
    > > http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/kids/mttrain201.jsp
    > >
    > > And Giant makes this, in a couple of models:
    > >
    > > http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8822&range=-
    > > 113&model=10602
    > >

    > I agree that a trailercycle is a better choice than a trailer.
    >
    > I used this

    http://www.burley.com/products/childrens-products/default.aspx?p=Piccolo&i=4

    &%$#! Outlook Express send my last post while I was still composing it.

  16. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2003 10:46:25 -0700, determined wrote:

    > I have a 5 yr old who can't keep up with me on a bike yet. For riding around on sidewalks and
    > around the neighborhood, I was thinking about getting one of those carts to tow behind my bike.
    > Has anyone else done this? She weighs around 45lbs. I'd like to be able to get my exercise and
    > take her along too. Wonder how difficult it is to pull a cart and a kid on fairly even pavement?

    I have no personal experience with this, but one of the funniest things I saw last summer was a lady
    on a ten-speed hauling butt down Hwy 30 (the part that's closed to cars, duh) with one of those
    trailers. Two kids were in it, hanging on for dear life, eyes & mouths wide open and screaming at
    the top of their lungs. They were loving it.

    gabrielle

  17. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2003 11:20:09 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my neighbors all the time.

    Kids or trailer?

    <g, d & r>

    gabrielle

  18. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I used a trailer to carry 2 small kids. They loved every minute of it. I carried other things like 3
    cases of 20 oz bottles of coke to the last load of boxes that wouldn't fit in the moving truck. Even
    picked up a kid left at the doctors by his mother that couldn't make it back to pick him up. Instep
    trailers are nice and low cost. I've been even thinking about getting a replacement. The one I had
    lasted a good 4 years till I jumped a curb with to heavy a load and the axcel broke.

    Fire up MTB 03

  19. "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > But w/a trail-a-bike, if you take a digger, doesn't the kid go down too? I know the Burly trailers
    > have a U-Joint arrangement to prevent this.

    We have and he does, but it is pretty uncommon. Once was an underpass near the creek after a flood,
    lots of slick mud on the bike path. It is like those shots you see of 18 wheelers where the trailer
    starts to come around in front of the cab. No one was hurt, but we did get way muddy. The other time
    was waiting at a stop light, imagine a 6 year old getting distracted and not paying attention, so as
    unlikely as that seems, the light turned green, I started going and he slid off the seat and planted
    his butt on the pavement. Again no one was hurt.

    Craig Brossman

  20. John G

    John G Guest

    gabrielle wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2003 11:20:09 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    >>It's no problem to tow kids.. I used to borrow my neighbors all the time.
    > Kids or trailer?
    >
    > <g, d & r>

    My best bud used to "baby-sit" my daughter on Saturday nights while _he_ went grocery shopping.
    (gave us some "quiet time" to ourselves ;-) \ Seems Saturday night is a very popular time for single
    women to be shopping and he got LOTS of attention carting the baby around, and picked up quite a few
    dates: "Ohh she's soo cute..." "Thanks but she's not mine, I'm babysitting for my friends." "ohh you
    are such a good friend..... yaddah, yaddah... here's my phone #, call me sometime, etc."