Traffic calming, etc.

Matt O'Toole

Guest
With traffic calming being the long OT drift of another thread -- I thought I'd
suggest reading an article in the Dec. 2004 issue of Wired Magazine -- "Roads
Gone Wild."

Basically it's about traffic control solely by architecture of roads and
intersections, eliminating all traditional control devices (lights, signs, etc.)

I can't find it on the web, but it's a quick read at the
newsstand/bookstore/library.

Matt O.

=v= That _Salon_ article was much-discussed online a few months
ago, when it first appeared. The author's anecdote-based views
about traffic in China do not accord with most observers', and
she seems to have had some basic misunderstanding about traffic
calming.

=v= Basically, the meaning of "traffic calming" has eroded over
the years, with municipalities implementing old-school traffic
devices and *calling* it "traffic calming." Putting in speed
bumps and calling them speed humps, for example.

=v= So David Engwicht has (cleverly?) coined the phrase "second
generation traffic calming" to mean, basically, a philosophy
that was already part of traffic calming but has been getting
overlooked. Plus a slight shift in emphasis. He describes it
very well at his own website:

http://www.lesstraffic.com/Articles/Traffic/SGTC.htm

<_Jym_>

--
Boycott Compulsory Consumption:
http://www.xmasresistance.org/

In article <[email protected]>,
Jym Dyer <[email protected]> writes:

> =v= So David Engwicht has (cleverly?) coined the phrase "second
> generation traffic calming" to mean, basically, a philosophy
> that was already part of traffic calming but has been getting
> overlooked. Plus a slight shift in emphasis. He describes it
> very well at his own website:
>
> http://www.lesstraffic.com/Articles/Traffic/SGTC.htm

Thank you for that link; I found it a most intriguing read.
I'd be tempted to call that approach "traffic rehumanizing".

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.