Training results interpretation for newbie?

nmcgann

Sep 23, 2006
Background - I've been training in a structured way for the last 6 weeks on a Tacx Flow (recently up-graded to iMagic). I am concentrating on 2x20min LT-ish intervals (with 5 min warm up, 5 min gap and 10 min cool down). Typically 3 sessions per week plus a club ride on Sunday. I'm 44 and don't know my MHR, but I think it's around 180 (I see 176 quite regularly on the road). I'm just a normal club/fitness rider, not a racer at all.

What I have found is that I have got to 280W (whatever that is in reality) and have sort-of stopped at that level. My heart rate at that wattage has been progressively reducing (currently mid-150s at the end of the first interval and just around or over 160 at the end of the 2nd - it's come down by over 10bpm since I started).

I haven't been able to increase the wattage beyond the 280 point due to tiredness/heavyness in my legs, aerobically I'm fine. I've tried and I can do more watts (the magic 300!), but can't sustain it for the full 20 mins.

The other factor is that I am losing weight at the moment, so am running a calorific deficit (have dropped 19lbs over the 6 weeks). I make sure I eat more before club rides etc. as I don't want to run out of gas on the road, but I don't eat more before or after turbo sessions.

I know the training and weight loss is working - my hill climbing is better and I am more able to sustain higher speeds on club rides - but I was expecting to be able to increase the watts as my heart rate reduced.

Anyone got any diagnosis/comments of what I am seeing?

Neil

I think this is common. I have gone for several weeks at a time with no apparent increase in power and then have experienced a pretty large jump. Part of it may be residual fatigue. If you got a couple of days rest, you might be able to increase power on your 2x20s. But, it's not really necessary. If you keep doing what you're doing, you will probably come in one day and just find that your workout is too easy. It's a good sign that your HR has dropped at the same intensity. This is a leading indicator that you are increasing your power. Basically, your body is having to work less hard to produce your current output. You might want to try increasing only the 2nd 20 min effort by a few watts (e.g., 5W). Then, when you can handle that without too much difficulty, try doing both 20s at the higher power. Also, bear in mind that you do not have to ride 20min intervals at 100%FTP to attain improvements in FTP.

I would also add some 5 min intervals at the highest level you can sustain for 5 minutes - I am led to believe this is great for working on your VO2 max.

I would also recommend 30-second maximum sprint efforts interspersed by 2–4 minutes of recovery, performed three times per week for 7 weeks. The training programme should begin with four intervals in total with 4 minutes of recovery between each per session in week 1 and progressed to ten intervals with 2.5 minutes of recovery per session by week 7. In tests this training strategy resulted in significant increases in peak wattage, total work over 30 seconds (ideal for your "jump") and VO2 max.

Your metric should be to time trial yourself on the same mapped out course once every four weeks. Note in your log windspeed, temperature, etc.

kuan said:
Your metric should be to time trial yourself on the same mapped out course once every four weeks. Note in your log windspeed, temperature, etc.
Not until next spring :rolleyes:

Neil