Tressoplast Cloth Tape

On Dec 12, 12:26 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 11:06 am, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Dry is fine. I used to like to start at the plug and wrap up towards
> > > the stem, which keeps the overlapping bits from curling if you like to
> > > ride the curve before the levers.

> > > After about two weeks, discard and replace with cork tape.
> > > Alternately, shellac the cloth tape and develop a hip slouch.

> > Geez, if ya only get two weeks outta cloth tape, how long does cork
> > last? 72hrs?

> Nah, it'd just take me two weeks to get sick of it. But hey, it's a
> step up from the crapola that was/is Benotto Cello.

There are still people selling, buying and using that stuff. I always
thought it was horribly slick n' slippery but I guess someone likes
it. Sorta like tubies.

> I like the generic $4 closed cell black stuff from Nashbar. I replace
> it yearly, with a bit of the old tape in the insides of curves to make
> things super comfy.

I'm about to try some cork hybrid (part cork/part synthetic) from
Profile on one of my bikes. Standard 'cork tape' is so ^$*# fragile
(interestingly, the cheap stuff under the Nashbar name seems more
durable than the Cinelli stuff).

> Cloth tape is for ankles and

.....and wrists?! A little B&D can make the "offseason" more
interesting! ;-)

On Dec 12, 5:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:44 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > French Polish -
> > An article on shellacking cloth handlebar tape:http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/shellac-basics_22.html
> > Interesting, I didn't know you could mix your own from dry flakes.
> > -tom

> Yup. They sort of remind me of bonito flakes.
>
> "Hey this miso soup really sticks to your ribs!"
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2nvj6s

Howz it work on handlebars?

On Dec 12, 5:12 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:02 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 12, 3:44 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > French Polish -
> > > An article on shellacking cloth handlebar tape:http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/shellac-basics_22.html
> > > Interesting, I didn't know you could mix your own from dry flakes.
> > > -tom

> > Yup. They sort of remind me of bonito flakes.

> > "Hey this miso soup really sticks to your ribs!"

> >http://tinyurl.com/2nvj6s

> Howz it work on handlebars?

It makes them succulent!

On Dec 12, 5:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm about to try some cork hybrid (part cork/part synthetic) from
> Profile on one of my bikes. Standard 'cork tape' is so ^$*# fragile
> (interestingly, the cheap stuff under the Nashbar name seems more
> durable than the Cinelli stuff).

The Cinelli stuff is indeed overpriced and fragile. I do the "closed
cell" stuff, which is cork free:

http://tinyurl.com/yshnpf

Pretty much what you get OEM on most bikes these days. Very durable.
Far more comfy than the $20 fancy schmancy tape the BS across town
talked me into last year.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> Both are made by Velox.
> I've never actually seen Tressorex before. I don't think they sell it
> in the US.
> Here's their description of Tressorex:
> Rolls of woven cotton.
> Here's the same site's description of Tressostar:
> Reinforced cotton handlebar ribbon of superior quality.
> I'd guess that the cloth tape market in the US is small enough that
> there's no point in pitching your $2.50 roll against your $3 roll.
> Andy - you sell NOS of both models, how do they compare?

Sorry, we run through cloth tape here like milk at a 7-11, no NOS*.

We can't get Zéfal Tressoplast any longer. Theoretically, Tressostar
costs pennies more than Tressorex but only the 'premium' tape is readily
available. I wrote 'premium' because the modern weave/materials are
uniformly difficult to wrap compared to vintage cloth tape.

[* I refill the classic cardboard boxes now with Velox Tressostar tape]
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Dec 12, 12:28 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Nakashima wrote:
> > Anyone still use it?
> > I'm going to be taping a handlebar with it, I can't remember if
> > there's a dressing to put over? Trying to recall if you shellac
> > over the cloth or leave it dry? Or other dressings?

> Green is a discontinued color at Velox.
>
> Cloth wraps from bottom to top, either simply ending (it's
> adhesive-backed) or with a trim tape. Natural cotton is considered a
> great handlebar medium itself without 'gilded lily' coatings.
>
> p.s. Older Velox weave was easier to wrap without wrinkles. Today's
> cotton tape is tough to get wrapped evenly - pull laterally as you wrap.
>
> Try not to drool all over your keyboard when viewing the 1975 Team
> Peugeot here with fresh white cloth tape:http://velosvintage.ultim-blog.com/

Just don't look too closely at the lower head lug (4th pic down on
1975 Peugeot). Legendary European Craftsmanship - those were the days!

On Dec 12, 5:31 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:12 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yup. They sort of remind me of bonito flakes.

> > > "Hey this miso soup really sticks to your ribs!"

> > >http://tinyurl.com/2nvj6s

> > Howz it work on handlebars?

> It makes them succulent!

There's a succulent born every minute.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:44:12 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Interesting, I didn't know you could mix your own from dry flakes.

Most dedicated woodworkers do it that way as a rule.

On Dec 12, 3:41 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 12:28 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Tom Nakashima wrote:
> > > Anyone still use it?
> > > I'm going to be taping a handlebar with it, I can't remember if
> > > there's a dressing to put over? Trying to recall if you shellac
> > > over the cloth or leave it dry? Or other dressings?

> > Green is a discontinued color at Velox.

> > Cloth wraps from bottom to top, either simply ending (it's
> > adhesive-backed) or with a trim tape. Natural cotton is considered a
> > great handlebar medium itself without 'gilded lily' coatings.

> > p.s. Older Velox weave was easier to wrap without wrinkles. Today's
> > cotton tape is tough to get wrapped evenly - pull laterally as you wrap.

> > Try not to drool all over your keyboard when viewing the 1975 Team
> > Peugeot here with fresh white cloth tape:http://velosvintage.ultim-blog.com/

> Just don't look too closely at the lower head lug (4th pic down on
> 1975 Peugeot). Legendary European Craftsmanship - those were the days!

My PX-10 has the same gap at the top of the BB/ST junction. Rides
fine, in the 20-odd years I've had it.

On Dec 12, 9:22 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:41 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Green is a discontinued color at Velox.

> > > Cloth wraps from bottom to top, either simply ending (it's
> > > adhesive-backed) or with a trim tape. Natural cotton is considered a
> > > great handlebar medium itself without 'gilded lily' coatings.

> > > p.s. Older Velox weave was easier to wrap without wrinkles. Today's
> > > cotton tape is tough to get wrapped evenly - pull laterally as you wrap.

> > > Try not to drool all over your keyboard when viewing the 1975 Team
> > > Peugeot here with fresh white cloth tape:http://velosvintage.ultim-blog.com/

> > Just don't look too closely at the lower head lug (4th pic down on
> > 1975 Peugeot). Legendary European Craftsmanship - those were the days!

> My PX-10 has the same gap at the top of the BB/ST junction. Rides
> fine, in the 20-odd years I've had it.

Whether or not it leads to a failure, that sort of thing doesn't speak
well of the craftsmanship. And I wonder about what can't be readily
seen, like how well the tubes were mitered. I'm not picking on Peugeot
here, because they are certainly not alone in this. It's easy to
forget how sloppy some of these old production line frames could be,
including the higher end models. IMO, it really was the Japanese
makers who raised the bar in this area, in the late '70s and through
the '80s.

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:44:12 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Interesting, I didn't know you could mix your own from dry flakes.

> Most dedicated woodworkers do it that way as a rule.

Yes, been reading about the dilutions, mixtures and formulas from
such craftsman... it's actually quite interesting.
The white cloth tape turns color when shellacked.
Back in the old days, some cyclist even had their signature shellacking's.
Sounds funny today, a "signature shellacking", but these cyclist were
quite serious.
Think I'm going to try it, something new... or old.
It's going on a 1968 Cinelli Pista "user bike"
Now if I could only find a set of Clement Criterium Seta's.
-tom

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Dec 12, 12:28 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Tom Nakashima wrote:
> > > Anyone still use it?
> > > I'm going to be taping a handlebar with it, I can't remember if
> > > there's a dressing to put over? Trying to recall if you shellac
> > > over the cloth or leave it dry? Or other dressings?

> > Green is a discontinued color at Velox.
> >
> > Cloth wraps from bottom to top, either simply ending (it's
> > adhesive-backed) or with a trim tape. Natural cotton is considered a
> > great handlebar medium itself without 'gilded lily' coatings.
> >
> > p.s. Older Velox weave was easier to wrap without wrinkles. Today's
> > cotton tape is tough to get wrapped evenly - pull laterally as you

wrap.

> > Try not to drool all over your keyboard when viewing the 1975 Team
> > Peugeot here with fresh white cloth

tape:http://velosvintage.ultim-blog.com/

> Just don't look too closely at the lower head lug (4th pic down on
> 1975 Peugeot). Legendary European Craftsmanship - those were the days!

I noticed that too. The upper end Peugeots were usually assembled pretty
well. this may have been a reject frame, that's why it's in good shape???

Chas.

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:44:12 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Interesting, I didn't know you could mix your own from dry flakes.

> > Most dedicated woodworkers do it that way as a rule.

> Yes, been reading about the dilutions, mixtures and formulas from
> such craftsman... it's actually quite interesting.
> The white cloth tape turns color when shellacked.
> Back in the old days, some cyclist even had their signature

shellacking's.
> Sounds funny today, a "signature shellacking", but these cyclist were
> quite serious.
> Think I'm going to try it, something new... or old.
> It's going on a 1968 Cinelli Pista "user bike"
> Now if I could only find a set of Clement Criterium Seta's.
> -tom

Here's detailed instructions with some pictures of how the shellacked tape
looks:

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/shellac-basics_22.html

I don't want to hear any more about how anachronistic tubulars are!!!

Chas.

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:44:12 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Interesting, I didn't know you could mix your own from dry flakes.

> > Most dedicated woodworkers do it that way as a rule.

> Yes, been reading about the dilutions, mixtures and formulas from
> such craftsman... it's actually quite interesting.
> The white cloth tape turns color when shellacked.
> Back in the old days, some cyclist even had their signature

shellacking's.
> Sounds funny today, a "signature shellacking", but these cyclist were
> quite serious.
> Think I'm going to try it, something new... or old.
> It's going on a 1968 Cinelli Pista "user bike"
> Now if I could only find a set of Clement Criterium Seta's.
> -tom

As some have mentioned Velox makes 2 kinds on HB tape, Tressostar the
"premium" tape and Tressorex the standard quality tape.

Tressostar is the most durable but it's hard to get it to conform well
especially around the brake levers. It's also much coarser feeling.

Tressorex is softer, thinner and more pliable. It doesn't seem to be as
durable as older cotton HB tape. They both seem to be better than Cat's
Eye which is now being made in the PRC - China.

I can't stand the dry feel of cork and most of the foam based HB tapes.

I've been trying some fi'zi:k (Fizik - non affected spelling) Microtex
tape on several bikes. This is their standard tape with perforated holes
like leather steering wheel covers not the gel style. I like the soft
smooth feel. I'll have to ride it a while longer to see how durable it's
going to be.

Chas.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Nakashima wrote:
> > Anyone still use it?
> > I'm going to be taping a handlebar with it, I can't remember if
> > there's a dressing to put over? Trying to recall if you shellac
> > over the cloth or leave it dry? Or other dressings?

> Green is a discontinued color at Velox.
>
> Cloth wraps from bottom to top, either simply ending (it's
> adhesive-backed) or with a trim tape. Natural cotton is considered a
> great handlebar medium itself without 'gilded lily' coatings.
>
> p.s. Older Velox weave was easier to wrap without wrinkles. Today's
> cotton tape is tough to get wrapped evenly - pull laterally as you wrap.
>
> Try not to drool all over your keyboard when viewing the 1975 Team
> Peugeot here with fresh white cloth tape:
> http://velosvintage.ultim-blog.com/
>
> mmmm... Gold Spidel...
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Great site.... I moved back from the keyboard. I spilled a glass of wine
on my favorite keyboard several weeks ago and trashed it. There's drool
all over my lap instead.

Chas.

On Dec 14, 12:47 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Most dedicated woodworkers do it that way as a rule.

> > Yes, been reading about the dilutions, mixtures and formulas from
> > such craftsman... it's actually quite interesting.
> > The white cloth tape turns color when shellacked.
> > Back in the old days, some cyclist even had their signature

> shellacking's.
> > Sounds funny today, a "signature shellacking", but these cyclist were
> > quite serious.
> > Think I'm going to try it, something new... or old.
> > It's going on a 1968 Cinelli Pista "user bike"
> > Now if I could only find a set of Clement Criterium Seta's.
> > -tom

> Here's detailed instructions with some pictures of how the shellacked tape
> looks:
>
> http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/shellac-basics_22.html
>
> I don't want to hear any more about how anachronistic tubulars are!!!

Coming soon: rod-actuated FDs make a comeback!

On Dec 14, 12:42 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Green is a discontinued color at Velox.

> > > Cloth wraps from bottom to top, either simply ending (it's
> > > adhesive-backed) or with a trim tape. Natural cotton is considered a
> > > great handlebar medium itself without 'gilded lily' coatings.

> > > p.s. Older Velox weave was easier to wrap without wrinkles. Today's
> > > cotton tape is tough to get wrapped evenly - pull laterally as you

> wrap.
>
> > > Try not to drool all over your keyboard when viewing the 1975 Team
> > > Peugeot here with fresh white cloth

> tape:http://velosvintage.ultim-blog.com/
>

> > Just don't look too closely at the lower head lug (4th pic down on
> > 1975 Peugeot). Legendary European Craftsmanship - those were the days!

> I noticed that too. The upper end Peugeots were usually assembled pretty
> well. this may have been a reject frame, that's why it's in good shape???

Or perhaps it's a "fake", a lower end frame re-painted/decaled and
built up to look the part? Perhaps Andrew Muzi can confirm or dispel
this idea from the available pics?

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Most dedicated woodworkers do it that way as a rule.

>> Yes, been reading about the dilutions, mixtures and formulas from
>> such craftsman... it's actually quite interesting.
>> The white cloth tape turns color when shellacked.
>> Back in the old days, some cyclist even had their signature

> shellacking's.
>> Sounds funny today, a "signature shellacking", but these cyclist were
>> quite serious.
>> Think I'm going to try it, something new... or old.
>> It's going on a 1968 Cinelli Pista "user bike"
>> Now if I could only find a set of Clement Criterium Seta's.
>> -tom
>>

> Here's detailed instructions with some pictures of how the shellacked tape
> looks:
>
> http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/03/shellac-basics_22.html
>
> I don't want to hear any more about how anachronistic tubulars are!!!
>
> Chas.

Thanx Chas,
but already saw that site, as well as others.
Here's one Rivendell has done with the different colored cloth tapes
with and without Shellac:
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/22?page=2#product=16-114

LOL, I can see there are not a whole lot of fans of sew-ups here.
I plan to use them on the velodrome.
-tom

On Dec 13, 11:02 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't stand the dry feel of cork and most of the foam based HB tapes.
>
> I've been trying some fi'zi:k (Fizik - non affected spelling) Microtex
> tape on several bikes. This is their standard tape with perforated holes
> like leather steering wheel covers not the gel style. I like the soft
> smooth feel. I'll have to ride it a while longer to see how durable it's
> going to be.

I tried the Fizik stuff and took it off after about 100 miles. It just
felt wrong. Like the cheap vinyl padded tape of the '80s, by Pelten or
Vetta. I had the silver color - does that have a different texture
than the others?

You might want to check out "Eleganza" tape, marketed by Stella
Azzura, Bike Ribbon, and others. It's the two-tone stitched and
perforated stuff. The non-perforated half has a tacky rubber surface.
Very grippy, and the perforation keeps it from getting clammy. It's
also extremely durable. I like this stuff alot.