Trying to decide on a Trek

trav1345

Sep 1, 2010
Hi! I'm very new to road cycling, I've been riding a mtb for a long time though. I want to get my first road bike, and I want to support my only LBS. My LBS is a trek dealer so naturally I will be getting a Trek. I'm trying to decide between the 1.1 and 1.2, I want to know if the upgraded components and carbon fork will be worth the extra money. I'm pretty young so I don't have a lot of money, if I get the 1.1 I will have more money for things like clothes, lights, etc... but if I get the 1.2 I won't have much money leftover. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

I bought a Trek 1.1 about a month ago and I love it. However, that being said, I wish I had done more research. To be fair, I looked at a good amount of bikes online, and wanted to stay under $700 because I have some much more important expenses coming up and I don't have a lot of excess cash. Since I bought it, I have done quite a bit of riding and really enjoy it. I can't help but wonder how much happier I would be if I had spent a couple hundred extra to get out of the mega-entry level segment and upgrade to better components. I've never ridden a $3000 bike, so I don't know what I'm missing. But, I have had no issues with my bike other than looking to upgrade the seat at some point. The 1.1 is very lightweight and seems to be built very solidly.

My advise would be to ride both and see which one feels more solid. I have never ridden a carbon fork but understand it makes a huge difference in the vibration felt in the handlebars. If you think it will get used a lot, you would probably be well served to spend a little extra for added quality and comfort.

Thanks for the reply that's very helpful! I realize that I should of put this in the other topic section so I will move it.

trav1345 said:
Hi! I'm very new to road cycling, I've been riding a mtb for a long time though. I want to get my first road bike, and I want to support my only LBS. My LBS is a trek dealer so naturally I will be getting a Trek. I'm trying to decide between the 1.1 and 1.2, I want to know if the upgraded components and carbon fork will be worth the extra money. I'm pretty young so I don't have a lot of money, if I get the 1.1 I will have more money for things like clothes, lights, etc... but if I get the 1.2 I won't have much money leftover. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Like TheCor, I just bought my 1.1 recently. I like the bike a lot, I've been riding everyday if weather permits. I bought it since I didn't know if I'm going to be serious with cycling, now I'm hooked. I'm glad I didn't get the expensive ones since I'm on a budget and I end up shelling more for cycling shorts, jerseys, pedals, cycling shoes, bottle holder, cycling computer, gloves, bike rack. Now, I want a heart rate monitor. Cold weather is around the bend, so I probably need to buy tights and long jerseys, so I can keep on riding. Its probably a different story for you since you've been riding a MTB. just my 2 cents.

Yea I think I'm leaning towards the 1.1, it will be worth it to save some money so I can some accessories for the bike. Thank you guys your input really helped.

So my room mate got the 1.1 and he loves it. It's a solid road bike for anyone just starting however going back now he wishes he would have gotten the 1.2. This is mainly for the upgraded group set. i have a Scott s50 which would be equivalent to the 1.2 in trek and he tried my bike out and like it a bit more and said that the carbon fork was kind of nice. you will never want to pay the price to upgrade the group set on that 1.1, it just flat out wouldn't be worth it so in my opinion you are better off spending a little bit more now to get that extra time out of your bike before you decide that you need to upgrade...I have come to realize just how pricey cycling is after adding up my expenses in the last 2 months being a new rider and it' crazy how fast it adds up :eek: and there is still stuff i need to get not to mention like said above the winter is coming so i'm gonna need stuff to keep warm. Good luck making your decision. Just make sure your happy in the end seeing your already spending at least $600.

I don't think the jump to the 1.2 is that exciting personally. I would use the extra money for a good pair of shoes and pedals. The 1.5 is the important jump and that is pricier.

Plus the 1.1 uses 8 speed components. Those are fairly cheap to replace once worn which is nice on a budget.

If you want to upgrade to a better bike in the future then you can use this as a bad weather bike which is nice to have.

TKOS said:
If you want to upgrade to a better bike in the future then you can use this as a bad weather bike which is nice to have.

That's exactly what my LBS said. I'm just getting into road cycling right now so I don't think I need all the fancy components and carbon parts. I think in a few years if I love road cycling as much as mtn biking than I will upgrade to a nicer bike.