TUFO Tires - Pros & Cons ???

On Jun 9, 2:10 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, what is the cheapest price for TUFO tires from Canadian Internet
> retailers ??

Hmmm, you seem to have an internet connection, so I can't understand
why Google doesn't work for you.
http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/dealers.php?country=Canada

You've gotten limited response to your original question about Tufo
tires, most were less than glowing, and most posters are in the US
(except for those wacky Euro bastards who shall not be mentioned), so
why would you think that you'd get a meaningful response on Canadian
retailers? Don't take this as an attack, I'm doing a research paper
on people that ask odd questions. :)~

"RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Jun 9, 2:10 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi, what is the cheapest price for TUFO tires from Canadian Internet
>> retailers ??

> Hmmm, you seem to have an internet connection, so I can't understand
> why Google doesn't work for you.
> http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/dealers.php?country=Canada
>
> You've gotten limited response to your original question about Tufo
> tires, most were less than glowing, and most posters are in the US
> (except for those wacky Euro bastards who shall not be mentioned), so
> why would you think that you'd get a meaningful response on Canadian
> retailers? Don't take this as an attack, I'm doing a research paper
> on people that ask odd questions. :)~

You should write a paper on A$$holes...it would make a great autobiography
:(~

MT

On Jun 9, 5:07 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Maple Tree wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?

> >>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33

> >> Thanks

> "Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Cons: Crappy rolling resistance for the most part.

> >http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm

> > Kevin

> Depends on the TUFO tire make and they seems competitive compared to the
> others.

Why don't you just hoist them up and buy a pair?* Then you can post
something meaningful. Or at least your approximation of
meaningful. ;)

* I meant a pair of Tufo tires in case you were wondering.

> I think the OP should buy one and test it himself. I've had products
> which I liked which I would never would have bought if I read the
> reviews beforehand.

If I'd have thought about it I'd never have bought a set in the first place.
Listening to people here talk about how they stick to the rims is well and
fine unless you've had a tire come off of your rim at one time or another.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:24:33 -0400, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Jun 9, 2:10 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi, what is the cheapest price for TUFO tires from Canadian Internet
>>> retailers ??

>> Hmmm, you seem to have an internet connection, so I can't understand
>> why Google doesn't work for you.
>> http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/dealers.php?country=Canada
>>
>> You've gotten limited response to your original question about Tufo
>> tires, most were less than glowing, and most posters are in the US
>> (except for those wacky Euro bastards who shall not be mentioned), so
>> why would you think that you'd get a meaningful response on Canadian
>> retailers? Don't take this as an attack, I'm doing a research paper
>> on people that ask odd questions. :)~

>You should write a paper on A$$holes...it would make a great autobiography

At least he knows how to use the google.

On Jun 9, 2:07 pm, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Maple Tree wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> What are the Pros & Cons for TUFO Road Tires?

> >>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/elite.php?seriesid=33

> >> Thanks

> "Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Cons: Crappy rolling resistance for the most part.

> >http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm

> > Kevin

> Depends on the TUFO tire make and they seems competitive compared to the
> others.

The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
weight of the tires they are compared against. So, half the weight,
certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
comparable rolling resistance. Make sure you've got wheels in the
pit...

Kevin

On Jun 9, 5:07 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:24:33 -0400, "Maple Tree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Hmmm, you seem to have an internet connection, so I can't understand
> >> why Google doesn't work for you.
> >>http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/dealers.php?country=Canada

> >> You've gotten limited response to your original question about Tufo
> >> tires, most were less than glowing, and most posters are in the US
> >> (except for those wacky Euro bastards who shall not be mentioned), so
> >> why would you think that you'd get a meaningful response on Canadian
> >> retailers?  Don't take this as an attack, I'm doing a research paper
> >> on people that ask odd questions.  :)~

> >You should write a paper on A$$holes...it would make a great autobiography

> At least he knows how to use the google.

Well, he got in here somehow (that should step on a few toes), even
though anonymous (few more). Oops, I did it again.

Point being, he wants someone to send him a couple of pairs, free/
postpaid, and then sue the sender & hiers when they are not the tires
of his dreams. And call up the Mounties if one of them blows off at
220 (duh) lbs.

And yeah, I think that's a real fair assessment. Since he didn't
google the group for the info he wanted in the first place, and had a
hissy (or was that pi$$y) fit when I suggested such.

Tufo has been through rbt. They went through Austin, too, some years
ago. One apparently successful application, at least in my limited
time observing, was at Alkek velodrome in Houston, where the S3 or
whatever the name of that red tubular was, 165g or similar, was a tire
of choice ca. 2000. But that's a "miss" for the road semi-tubular
clincher tire.

The "concept" is attractive. Maybe compelling. Some use and enjoy.
Only way to find out if you're one of the lucky few is to buy a set
and proceed to Beta testing, see if you can make them work for you (or
else!). --D-y

> The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
> weight of the tires they are compared against. So, half the weight,
> certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
> comparable rolling resistance. Make sure you've got wheels in the
> pit...

For those not in the know - Kevin is an ex-pro and also very high on the
knowledge index.

In article <45c2ed46-8473-4c4e-b14e-a025e7372786@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Cons: Crappy rolling resistance for the most part.

> > >http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm

> > > Kevin

> > Depends on the TUFO tire make and they seems competitive compared to the
> > others.

> The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
> weight of the tires they are compared against. So, half the weight,
> certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
> comparable rolling resistance. Make sure you've got wheels in the
> pit...

Pit? Wha???

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Jun 9, 6:45 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <45c2ed46-8473-4c4e-b14e-a025e7372...@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Depends on the TUFO tire make and they seems competitive compared to the
> > > others.

> > The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
> > weight of the tires they are compared against. So, half the weight,
> > certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
> > comparable rolling resistance. Make sure you've got wheels in the
> > pit...

> Pit? Wha???

I figured that since this was rec.bicycles.RACING that most people
would have knowledge of an event called a CRITERIUM which is in fact a
bicycle RACE. Said race, is known for having a repository for spare
wheels, often times called a wheel PIT. It's hard to confirm, but
reports are that RACERS have been know to actually put their spare
wheels in the PIT so that when they get a puncture (also called a flat
tire) in said criterium, they can proceed to the PIT (don't reverse
course though, except at Sommerville...). Once in the PIT, these
bicycle RACERS have been known to trade the flat, or punctured tire in
for one that is still holding air and rejoin the race with no penalty.

I hope that helps.

Kevin (who was never actually a pro, just a relatively okay regional
racer, but who is now a masters fattie) Metcalfe

On Jun 9, 6:43 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
> > weight of the tires they are compared against.  So, half the weight,
> > certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
> > comparable rolling resistance.  Make sure you've got wheels in the
> > pit...

> For those not in the know - Kevin is an ex-pro and also very high on the
> knowledge index.

Dumbass -

There's no way he knows as much as a bike racing expert like yourself.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

In article <b888544f-db72-4dd3-aaed-6c5912088f46@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 6:45 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <45c2ed46-8473-4c4e-b14e-a025e7372...@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> > Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
> > > weight of the tires they are compared against. So, half the weight,
> > > certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
> > > comparable rolling resistance. Make sure you've got wheels in the
> > > pit...

> > Pit? Wha???
> >

> I figured that since this was rec.bicycles.RACING that most people
> would have knowledge of an event called a CRITERIUM which is in fact a
> bicycle RACE. Said race, is known for having a repository for spare
> wheels, often times called a wheel PIT. It's hard to confirm, but
> reports are that RACERS have been know to actually put their spare
> wheels in the PIT so that when they get a puncture (also called a flat
> tire) in said criterium, they can proceed to the PIT (don't reverse
> course though, except at Sommerville...). Once in the PIT, these
> bicycle RACERS have been known to trade the flat, or punctured tire in
> for one that is still holding air and rejoin the race with no penalty.
>
> I hope that helps.

It should help Mrs. Butterworth, the OP. I was kidding (and should have been a bit
more explicit about it), as a few days ago he spent some time talking about how he
needed his bike to be very light (while finding a way to pack a spare tire onboard)
and finally revealing himself to be a recreational rider. While there's nothing wrong
with being a recreational rider (I are one too), he persists in crossposting these
things into RBR.

By the way, I remember seeing you race out at Hellyer many times back in the '90s.
Do you still get out there much?

--

In article <00ce815e-0820-4dc5-8f98-1bc654d7e4d1@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 6:43 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> > "Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
> > > weight of the tires they are compared against.  So, half the weight,
> > > certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
> > > comparable rolling resistance.  Make sure you've got wheels in the
> > > pit...

> > For those not in the know - Kevin is an ex-pro and also very high on the
> > knowledge index.

> Dumbass -
>

> There's no way he knows as much as a bike racing expert like yourself.

Don't sell Tom short - he's an expert in *all* fields.

--

> Kevin (who was never actually a pro, just a relatively okay regional
> racer, but who is now a masters fattie) Metcalfe

You'll excuse me Kevin, I mistook the US Postal uniform....

"Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Jun 9, 6:45 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article
>> <45c2ed46-8473-4c4e-b14e-a025e7372...@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>> Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > The only ones that are in the ball park are approximately half the
>> > weight of the tires they are compared against. So, half the weight,
>> > certainly at least some decrease in reliability, only to get
>> > comparable rolling resistance. Make sure you've got wheels in the
>> > pit...

>> Pit? Wha???
>>

> I figured that since this was rec.bicycles.RACING that most people
> would have knowledge of an event called a CRITERIUM which is in fact a
> bicycle RACE. Said race, is known for having a repository for spare
> wheels, often times called a wheel PIT. It's hard to confirm, but
> reports are that RACERS have been know to actually put their spare
> wheels in the PIT so that when they get a puncture (also called a flat
> tire) in said criterium, they can proceed to the PIT (don't reverse
> course though, except at Sommerville...). Once in the PIT, these
> bicycle RACERS have been known to trade the flat, or punctured tire in
> for one that is still holding air and rejoin the race with no penalty.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Kevin (who was never actually a pro, just a relatively okay regional
> racer, but who is now a masters fattie) Metcalfe

Kevin,
This thread is being cross-posted to rec.bicycles.tech, which has some
contributors who are not racers or even RACERS.
Kerry

On Jun 9, 8:49 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <b888544f-db72-4dd3-aaed-6c5912088...@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> Kevin Metcalfe <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 9, 6:45 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <45c2ed46-8473-4c4e-b14e-a025e7372...@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Pit? Wha???

> > I figured that since this was rec.bicycles.RACING that most people
> > would have knowledge of an event called a CRITERIUM which is in fact a
> > bicycle RACE. Said race, is known for having a repository for spare
> > wheels, often times called a wheel PIT. It's hard to confirm, but
> > reports are that RACERS have been know to actually put their spare
> > wheels in the PIT so that when they get a puncture (also called a flat
> > tire) in said criterium, they can proceed to the PIT (don't reverse
> > course though, except at Sommerville...). Once in the PIT, these
> > bicycle RACERS have been known to trade the flat, or punctured tire in
> > for one that is still holding air and rejoin the race with no penalty.

> > I hope that helps.

> It should help Mrs. Butterworth, the OP. I was kidding (and should have been a bit
> more explicit about it), as a few days ago he spent some time talking about how he
> needed his bike to be very light (while finding a way to pack a spare tire onboard)
> and finally revealing himself to be a recreational rider. While there's nothing wrong
> with being a recreational rider (I are one too), he persists in crossposting these
> things into RBR.
>
> By the way, I remember seeing you race out at Hellyer many times back in the '90s.
> Do you still get out there much?

I haven't raced on the track in about six or seven years. With geezer
track nationals at Hellyer this year I am planning to get back on the
track. Though I will need to procure a track bike some time between
now and then...

Do they still turn left on the track? :)

Kevin (don't forget to pedal) Metcalfe

Kevin Metcalfe wrote:
> Do they still turn left on the track? :)

Accelerating in the corners is not allowed.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:31:28 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kevin Metcalfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Jun 9, 6:45 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <45c2ed46-8473-4c4e-b14e-a025e7372...@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Pit? Wha???
>>>

>> I figured that since this was rec.bicycles.RACING that most people
>> would have knowledge of an event called a CRITERIUM which is in fact a
>> bicycle RACE. Said race, is known for having a repository for spare
>> wheels, often times called a wheel PIT. It's hard to confirm, but
>> reports are that RACERS have been know to actually put their spare
>> wheels in the PIT so that when they get a puncture (also called a flat
>> tire) in said criterium, they can proceed to the PIT (don't reverse
>> course though, except at Sommerville...). Once in the PIT, these
>> bicycle RACERS have been known to trade the flat, or punctured tire in
>> for one that is still holding air and rejoin the race with no penalty.
>>
>> I hope that helps.
>>
>> Kevin (who was never actually a pro, just a relatively okay regional
>> racer, but who is now a masters fattie) Metcalfe

>Kevin,
>This thread is being cross-posted to rec.bicycles.tech, which has some
>contributors who are not racers or even RACERS.
>Kerry

TUFOs are racing tires. Racing tech discussion is on-topic for rbt.