Upgrading from Campy 8-Speed

Magna Mater

Guest
I have a bike outfitted with Campy Record 8-speed and would like to
upgrade it to 10-speed. Do I need components other than shifters,
cassette, chain, and wheels?

Thanks for the help.

On Aug 19, 9:43 am, Magna Mater <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a bike outfitted with Campy Record 8-speed and would like to
> upgrade it to 10-speed. Do I need components other than shifters,
> cassette, chain, and wheels?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Did some googling and found this thread. There may be others.

http://tinyurl.com/2n5pyu

"Magna Mater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a bike outfitted with Campy Record 8-speed and would like to
> upgrade it to 10-speed. Do I need components other than shifters,
> cassette, chain, and wheels?
>
> Thanks for the help.

You need some 10-speed Campy shifters obviously. Add a rear wheel with a
8/9/10 speed Shimano freehub and a Shimano or SRAM 10-speed cassette. Plus
a compatible Shimano or SRAM 10-speed chain.

You can keep your current front and rear derailleurs. In fact this will
work better if you use your pre-2001 Campy rear derailleur.

A pal just did this. Works flawlessly.

Magna Mater wrote:
> I have a bike outfitted with Campy Record 8-speed and would like to
> upgrade it to 10-speed. Do I need components other than shifters,
> cassette, chain, and wheels?

Wheels? No, just the rear hub would need replacing. Certainly the
front wheel is not a problem. BTW, yoru derailleurs will work fine.

--

David L. Johnson

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig...
You soon find out the pig likes it!