Upgrading to SRAM Rival, need advice on front derailluer

jracingbean

May 16, 2010
Hi All!

First time poster here, so go easy on this newb. Here's the scoop - I'm upgrading the drive train on my 04' Fuji Roubaix Pro with a like new takeoff 2009 Rival groupset I got off of fleabay. Anyway, the front derailleur is a 34.9 clamp on and my seat tube is 28.6 - do I a) try to find a shim to bridge the difference, b) purchase a braze-on derailleur and clamp, or c) purchase a 31.8 clamp Rival derailleur and get a shim for that size?

Also, I went a little nutz and got a set of Yokozuna cables - hope my LBS doesn't try to switch 'em out on me.

Thanks for any advice you can spare!

jracingbean said:
I'm upgrading the drive train on my 04' Fuji Roubaix Pro with a like new takeoff 2009 Rival groupset I got off of fleabay. Anyway, the front derailleur is a 34.9 clamp on and my seat tube is 28.6 - do I a) try to find a shim to bridge the difference, b) purchase a braze-on derailleur and clamp, or c) purchase a 31.8 clamp Rival derailleur and get a shim for that size?

Also, I went a little nutz and got a set of Yokozuna cables - hope my LBS doesn't try to switch 'em out on me.

Braze-On front derailleurs + Adapter Clamps are viable, but clumsy looking (yes, I have one one one bike) AND you are generally adding at least $10 for cost the adapter beyond the cost of the front derailleur ...

So, I think you are better off buying a front derailleur with a dedicated clamp UNLESS you think you will be changing frames in the next 2-or-3 years.

FWIW. The 'twist' on a Yokozuna brake cable appears to be the same as on a Campagnolo brake cable (and, without looking, probably the same as on a Shimano brake cable) ... undoubtedly, that is because the Campagnolo (and, the Shimano, too) cables are probably made/provided by Yokozuna. I don't know if the slight difference in color is due to a patina (the Yokozuna brake cables that I have are "spares" which have been in my tool box for at least 6 years) OR if they are actually coated with something.

jracingbean said:
Hi All!

First time poster here, so go easy on this newb. Here's the scoop - I'm upgrading the drive train on my 04' Fuji Roubaix Pro with a like new takeoff 2009 Rival groupset I got off of fleabay. Anyway, the front derailleur is a 34.9 clamp on and my seat tube is 28.6 - do I a) try to find a shim to bridge the difference, b) purchase a braze-on derailleur and clamp, or c) purchase a 31.8 clamp Rival derailleur and get a shim for that size?

You are probably finding out that sram and Campagnolo don't think steel frames exist anymore so no more 28.6mm clamp on front derailleurs. Get a braze on FD and clamp of 28.6, at least the clamps are easily available.