USAC regulations

tx_newbie

Jun 10, 2006
Based on personal experiences, how stringent are officials at USAC-sanctioned events (individual time trial) RE: saddle setback and bottom bracket relationships? Talking about CAT 5 level. My saddle tip sits dead center over the center of the bottom bracket, clearly not the 5cm as stated in the manual. I know the ultimate remedy is to downsize the frame--however, when I was fitted to the bike (specifically for ITT), it seems everyone forgot about the saddle tip/bottom bracket rule.

Thanks

tx_newbie said:
Based on personal experiences, how stringent are officials at USAC-sanctioned events (individual time trial) RE: saddle setback and bottom bracket relationships? Talking about CAT 5 level. My saddle tip sits dead center over the center of the bottom bracket, clearly not the 5cm as stated in the manual. I know the ultimate remedy is to downsize the frame--however, when I was fitted to the bike (specifically for ITT), it seems everyone forgot about the saddle tip/bottom bracket rule.

Thanks
No one is going to check saddle tip setback in a cat 5 time trial. It's very unlikely that would be checked in anything short of a national championship level TT. But you can make your bike legal or at least get closer with a setback style seatpost like this: http://www.masherz.com/products/thomson/elitesetbackseatpost.htm it shouldn't require a change in frame size.

-Dave

Thanks. I assumed as much, but just some concern. RE: the thomson setback, I actually have the saddle rails forward (effective seatpost angle 79.5) to get into the cockpit--the stem has been shortened to help. I'm trying to work around a frame that is one size too big (I think, based on the mods that we've done). Ummm...barring these technical issues of saddle/rails forward with a shortened stem, it seems to fit (or at least its a tolerable aero position, if only for a while).

Thanks again.

daveryanwyoming said:
No one is going to check saddle tip setback in a cat 5 time trial. It's very unlikely that would be checked in anything short of a national championship level TT. But you can make your bike legal or at least get closer with a setback style seatpost like this: http://www.masherz.com/products/thomson/elitesetbackseatpost.htm it shouldn't require a change in frame size.

-Dave