Warning to Performers & Models Wishing to Race in USAC Events

A warning to performers and artists (particularly commercial actors
and models): in order to obtain a the 2008 USAC license, you must
consent to the following "media grant." Before obtaining or renewing
your racing license, you might want to review this section with your
attorney, clients and union representatives:

*MEDIA GRANT*

In consideration of and as a condition of USA Cycling Inc.'s (USAC)
issuance of a license to me or acceptance of my applications for entry
in events that it or Union Cycliste Internationale permits or
sanctions, I grant to USAC and United States Olympic Committee (USOC),
and their assigns, the right and a license to film, video, photograph,
reproduce, publish, distribute and otherwise use and exploit by all
means, in any medium and worldwide, my name and voice, pictures and
likenesses of me, and biographical material on me. Under no
circumstances shall such material be used in the manner of an
endorsement of any product or service, or of any sport other than
bicycle racing, without my consent. This Grant shall be binding upon
me and my heirs and legal representatives. I am over 18 years of age
or, if I am not, the above MEDIA GRANT must be printed and signed by
both the minor and the minor's parent or guardian.

In article
<43a0e7d6-6280-4fb6-b905-58dc6c6d69b2@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] wrote:

> A warning to performers and artists (particularly commercial actors
> and models): in order to obtain a the 2008 USAC license, you must
> consent to the following "media grant." Before obtaining or renewing
> your racing license, you might want to review this section with your
> attorney, clients and union representatives:
>
> *MEDIA GRANT*
>
> In consideration of and as a condition of USA Cycling Inc.'s (USAC)
> issuance of a license to me or acceptance of my applications for entry
> in events that it or Union Cycliste Internationale permits or
> sanctions, I grant to USAC and United States Olympic Committee (USOC),
> and their assigns, the right and a license to film, video, photograph,
> reproduce, publish, distribute and otherwise use and exploit by all
> means, in any medium and worldwide, my name and voice, pictures and
> likenesses of me, and biographical material on me. Under no
> circumstances shall such material be used in the manner of an
> endorsement of any product or service, or of any sport other than
> bicycle racing, without my consent. This Grant shall be binding upon
> me and my heirs and legal representatives. I am over 18 years of age
> or, if I am not, the above MEDIA GRANT must be printed and signed by
> both the minor and the minor's parent or guardian.

Oh no! They're going to put Zak-Paul's photo in the media guide!

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Oh no! They're going to put Zak-Paul's photo in the media guide!

Just so long as they don't show footage from some canadian
cyclocross race with drunks crashing into things and each
other.

[email protected] wrote:
> A warning to performers and artists (particularly commercial actors
> and models): in order to obtain a the 2008 USAC license, you must
> consent to the following "media grant." Before obtaining or renewing
> your racing license, you might want to review this section with your
> attorney, clients and union representatives:
>
> *MEDIA GRANT*
>
> In consideration of and as a condition of USA Cycling Inc.'s (USAC)
> issuance of a license to me or acceptance of my applications for entry
> in events that it or Union Cycliste Internationale permits or
> sanctions, I grant to USAC and United States Olympic Committee (USOC),
> and their assigns, the right and a license to film, video, photograph,
> reproduce, publish, distribute and otherwise use and exploit by all
> means, in any medium and worldwide, my name and voice, pictures and
> likenesses of me, and biographical material on me. Under no
> circumstances shall such material be used in the manner of an
> endorsement of any product or service, or of any sport other than
> bicycle racing, without my consent. This Grant shall be binding upon
> me and my heirs and legal representatives. I am over 18 years of age
> or, if I am not, the above MEDIA GRANT must be printed and signed by
> both the minor and the minor's parent or guardian.

-----------

Notice the sentence where it says, "Under no circumstances shall such
material be used in the manner of an endorsement of any product or
service, or of any sport other than bicycle raciing, without my consent."

If you read between the lines, what this clause REALLY says is that USAC
will try to obtain your consent in some unassuming and informal way and
under the terms of this contract - which every USAC rideer will have to
agree - USAC or the product manufacturers will NOT be required to
compensate the cyclist one penny for that endorsement.

The real purpose of this clause is to obtain free endorsement from U.S.
national team riders who might medal in the Olympics. That's the real
target of this clause (if you notice it also adds USOC). It likely
exists because USAC and USOC have negotiated sponsorship terms with
product mannufacturers and service providers that include "free"
endorsements by Olympic athletes.

It's a really conniving clause.

I would imagine that any rider who refuses to endorse a product (i.e. a
specific frame for track riders or for road riders things like Gatorade
or AMD, etc.) could find themselves conveniently not selected for the
team or declared in breach of their national team contract, which
usually includes some form of these product endorsement clauses.

Magilla

<[email protected]> wrote in message
>A warning to performers and artists (particularly commercial actors
> and models): in order to obtain a the 2008 USAC license, you must
> consent to the following "media grant." Before obtaining or renewing
> your racing license, you might want to review this section with your
> attorney, clients and union representatives:
>
> *MEDIA GRANT*
>
> In consideration of and as a condition of USA Cycling Inc.'s (USAC)
> issuance of a license to me or acceptance of my applications for entry
> in events that it or Union Cycliste Internationale permits or
> sanctions, I grant to USAC and United States Olympic Committee (USOC),
> and their assigns, the right and a license to film, video, photograph,
> reproduce, publish, distribute and otherwise use and exploit by all
> means, in any medium and worldwide, my name and voice, pictures and
> likenesses of me, and biographical material on me. Under no
> circumstances shall such material be used in the manner of an
> endorsement of any product or service, or of any sport other than
> bicycle racing, without my consent. This Grant shall be binding upon
> me and my heirs and legal representatives. I am over 18 years of age
> or, if I am not, the above MEDIA GRANT must be printed and signed by
> both the minor and the minor's parent or guardian.

Read the End User License Agreement you say Yes to every time you
install software on your computer - it's also pretty frightening.

-S-