Valves separating from inner tubes

jtaylor wrote:

> JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Leaving off the lockring can cause the valve to shift quite a bit from
> > the vertical as the tube creeps inside the cover.

> Um, no.

Um, yes.

Particularly if the tyre is underinflated which with the majority of
bikes I see is the case.

> Poor inflation will allow a tube to shift.

John B

jtaylor wrote:

> JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Leaving off the lockring can cause the valve to shift quite a bit from
> > the vertical as the tube creeps inside the cover.

> Um, no.

Um, yes.

Particularly if the tyre is underinflated which with the majority of
bikes I see is the case.

> Poor inflation will allow a tube to shift.

John B

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Leaving off the lockring can cause the valve to shift quite a bit from
> the vertical as the tube creeps inside the cover.

Um, no.

Poor inflation will allow a tube to shift. A proper inflated tube will not
shift, lockring or no.

The original poster should check that the valve hole in his rim has a
chamfered edge - if not, even fitting a rubber washer will only delay the
inevitable.

JohnB <[email protected]>typed

> jtaylor wrote:
> >
> > JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Leaving off the lockring can cause the valve to shift quite a bit from
> > > the vertical as the tube creeps inside the cover.

> > Um, no.

> Um, yes.

> Particularly if the tyre is underinflated which with the majority of
> bikes I see is the case.

> > Poor inflation will allow a tube to shift.

Just to add confusion to the lockring business, I was advised by Francis
Thurmer (mobile cycle mechanic and 'Hard to Find' proprietor) to leave
the lockrings _off_ as he thought they caused tube pailures...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes:

> Just to add confusion to the lockring business, I was advised by Francis
> Thurmer (mobile cycle mechanic and 'Hard to Find' proprietor) to leave
> the lockrings _off_ as he thought they caused tube pailures...

Riddle me this: I always wind back the lockrings when I pump the
tyre. Last night I put 110psi into my tyre (which should take
120psi). Correct amount, correct tube.

This morning, flat as kylie's chest; tube split at the valve stem interface. Do I put less air in or what?

G - likes it hard

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes:

> Just to add confusion to the lockring business, I was advised by Francis
> Thurmer (mobile cycle mechanic and 'Hard to Find' proprietor) to leave
> the lockrings _off_ as he thought they caused tube pailures...

I think that was standard advice here on urc, last time the issue came
up.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> jtaylor wrote:
> >
> > JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]...

> > > Leaving off the lockring can cause the valve to shift quite a bit from
> > > the vertical as the tube creeps inside the cover.

> > Um, no.

> Um, yes.
>
> Particularly if the tyre is underinflated which with the majority of
> bikes I see is the case.

Both conditions must be true for the result, and having your tube inflated
correctly reduces the role of the ring to zero. It is an error to state
that one condition (ring absent) is sufficient.

Lockrings are a bad idea - they often (together with poor rim construction)
are the cause of exactly the failure of which the original poster
complained, and a properly inflated tube has no need of them.

jtaylor wrote:

> JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > jtaylor wrote:
> > >
> > > JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:[email protected]...

> > > Um, no.

> > Um, yes.
> >
> > Particularly if the tyre is underinflated which with the majority of
> > bikes I see is the case.

> Both conditions must be true for the result, and having your tube inflated
> correctly reduces the role of the ring to zero. It is an error to state
> that one condition (ring absent) is sufficient.

How about discussing h*lm*ts ;-)

John B

Daniel Barlow wrote:

> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Just to add confusion to the lockring business, I was advised by Francis
> > Thurmer (mobile cycle mechanic and 'Hard to Find' proprietor) to leave
> > the lockrings _off_ as he thought they caused tube pailures...

> I think that was standard advice here on urc, last time the issue came
> up.

That makes it right then ;-)

Seriously, why do manufacturers use them? (yes I know some don't).

Nah, let's move on.

John B

Lardychap wrote:
> Riddle me this: I always wind back the lockrings when I pump the
> tyre. Last night I put 110psi into my tyre (which should take
> 120psi). Correct amount, correct tube.
>
> This morning, flat as kylie's chest; tube split at the valve stem
> interface. Do I put less air in or what?

The tube should be fine with a lot more than 110psi. Try a different brand
of tube and doing without lockrings altogether, just in case.

~PB

JohnB wrote:

> Seriously, why do manufacturers use them? (yes I know some don't).

To make it more *convenient* to align the valve and to fit a pump on the
valve when tyre is flat or soft. They work in that regard but /sometimes/
cause failures because the manufacturers don't design or make the tubes the
tubes strong enough.

I wouldn't go as far as to advise no-one ever uses them but it'd be silly
not to then try to do without if you do get problems.

Sorry to go on about this small boring subject, but I think it's worth
discussing as a failed inner tube is bloody annoying! And it is a common
problem.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Sorry to go on about this small boring subject...

Apology accepted.

John B

Switch to Michelin tubes and this won't happen again. I have never had
this happen with a Michelin tube in 30 years plus of cycling. The
problem does seem to be very common with most butyl tubes made in the
Far East and looking at them the main problem seems to be the way the
stem is vulcanised to the tube.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:20:15 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>JohnB <[email protected]>typed
>

>> jtaylor wrote:
>> >
>> > JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > Um, no.

>> Um, yes.

>> Particularly if the tyre is underinflated which with the majority of
>> bikes I see is the case.

>> > Poor inflation will allow a tube to shift.

>Just to add confusion to the lockring business, I was advised by Francis
>Thurmer (mobile cycle mechanic and 'Hard to Find' proprietor) to leave
>the lockrings _off_ as he thought they caused tube pailures...

pailures ? ;-)

Yep a fair point actually, some of the newer (maybe even older)
Vittoria tubes don't have a thread on them to put the locknut on.

If the tube is underinflated (is this a word ??) then if it is
shifting about and it is locked then maybe it could pail.

I have only had one in 1000's of miles, and on my daughters bike to
boot ( 20 miles a year)