Velocity Hub?

jeepguy32

May 26, 2007
Because of necessary weight hauling requirements, I'm wanting to move from a 36h rear hub to a 40h (after a couple thousand miles, a nipple has started to pull through the rim).

I really, really, really want a Phil Wood hub, but just can't afford it. I'd like a White Industries hub, but probably shouldn't afford it. So I'm looking at a Velocity 40h rear hub. Anyone have any experience with Velocity rear hubs?

When in doubt, buy a Shimano hub ...

There is at least one Shimano hub which is available with 40h drilling ... it will be a tandem hub, but you can adjust the 'width' by removing the unwanted spacers & either replacing the axle with a shorter one that is appropriate to the width of your frame OR by removing the excess length.

jeepguy32 said:
Because of necessary weight hauling requirements, I'm wanting to move from a 36h rear hub to a 40h (after a couple thousand miles, a nipple has started to pull through the rim).

I really, really, really want a Phil Wood hub, but just can't afford it. I'd like a White Industries hub, but probably shouldn't afford it. So I'm looking at a Velocity 40h rear hub. Anyone have any experience with Velocity rear hubs?

We are very pleased with Velocity hubs and have built more than a few wheelsets with them. Yes, they are pretty simple cart bearing hubs but well made and not that expensive.

The next mentioned shimano tandem hub is also nice with the understanding that like a disc rear hub, the LH flange is closer to the center of the hub which doesn't really help in it's strength. You will have to reduce the spacing of the shimano hub, best done as much as possible on the right hand side, the rest on the left.

I went ahead with the Velocity hub today. I'm having Peter White of www.peterwhitecycles.com lace it to a Mavic A719 rim with Wheelsmith spokes. I'm hoping it to be a very strong assembly. Thanks for everyone's input.

I ride in the real world. Screw grams...gimmie reliability!

jeepguy32 said:
I went ahead with the Velocity hub today. I'm having Peter White of www.peterwhitecycles.com lace it to a Mavic A719 rim with Wheelsmith spokes. I'm hoping it to be a very strong assembly. Thanks for everyone's input.

I ride in the real world. Screw grams...gimmie reliability!

Hopefully Peter is using double butted(14/15) spokes and brass nipples.

Peter@vecchios said:
Hopefully Peter is using double butted(14/15) spokes and brass nipples.

Yep. Comes with a lifetime guarantee, too. The folks at PeterWhiteCyles.com are a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend them for "real world" bicycle needs (riding in rain, carrying stuff, grocery shopping, tires/rims to overcome potholes, quality lighting systems, etc). Between them and the other great folks at Rivendell, my bicycle needs are pretty well covered.

Quality, Service, Price...You can only pick two. I pick the first two.

Interesting website Peter White has. I really like the page on his wheel/frame philosophy, and his explanation of the difference between racing bikes and wheels and the stuff all the rest of us really need in the real world.

Was wondering how anyone would offer a lifetime warranty on wheels, thinking he's either nuts or charging why too much for his wheels. Seeing that the warranty only covers replacement of broken spokes, not wearout or failure of the rims, that now makes sense.

dhk2 said:
Interesting website Peter White has. I really like the page on his wheel/frame philosophy, and his explanation of the difference between racing bikes and wheels and the stuff all the rest of us really need in the real world.

Was wondering how anyone would offer a lifetime warranty on wheels, thinking he's either nuts or charging why too much for his wheels. Seeing that the warranty only covers replacement of broken spokes, not wearout or failure of the rims, that now makes sense.

Most wheelbuilders(like us at Vecchio's) offer a lifetime, conditional guarantee. Warranty on the build for the useful life of the rim. I doubt he offers a lifetime guarantee on the hub.

I had an 'interesting' exchange with Peter about a set of hubs. He talks about how crappy Centaur hubs are (disagree), but doesn't really make the distinction between the 2007 Centaur(relabeled Veloce) and 2006 Centaur(like Record/Chorus). He didn't like it when I mentioned this to him, but he was confusing our customer.

jeepguy32 said:
Yep. Comes with a lifetime guarantee, too.

Yeh...I guess I probably was a little misleading there. The lifetime guarantee is on the spokes only. I'm still very, very comfortable working with them.

It seems to me that Peter White pays close attention to detail and takes pride in his work. He claims if he's toward the end of a wheel build and notices the rim isn't what it should be - maybe stubborn to true - he'll cut the spokes off and start fresh with a new rim. I find that attitude a rare commodity in these days of ultra-profit-only motives. I bet a lot of wheel builders wouldn't bother.

That's what I mean by the phrase "Quality, Service, Price...You can only pick two" (someone else's quote). By the way, I don't find their prices terribly outlandish either. I find their prices fair. After all, everyone deserves to make a reasonable profit.

jeepguy32 said:
Yeh...I guess I probably was a little misleading there. The lifetime guarantee is on the spokes only. I'm still very, very comfortable working with them.

It seems to me that Peter White pays close attention to detail and takes pride in his work. He claims if he's toward the end of a wheel build and notices the rim isn't what it should be - maybe stubborn to true - he'll cut the spokes off and start fresh with a new rim. I find that attitude a rare commodity in these days of ultra-profit-only motives. I bet a lot of wheel builders wouldn't bother.

That's what I mean by the phrase "Quality, Service, Price...You can only pick two" (someone else's quote). By the way, I don't find their prices terribly outlandish either. I find their prices fair. After all, everyone deserves to make a reasonable profit.

I don't see the need for cutting off spokes if a wheel build isn't turning out as planned.

alienator said:
I don't see the need for cutting off spokes if a wheel build isn't turning out as planned.

I suspect the wholesale price of spokes is dirt cheap compared to a good wheel builder's professional skill and labor time.

alienator said:

I suspect that might be for effect. Every once in a while you will have a rim that just isn't 'right' and you need to get another rim. Taping a new rim next to the damaged one, loosening, swaping takes about as much time as 'cutting them out!' and strarting over. Waste of good spokes.

As for wholesale cost of spokes, well, charging over a dollar for a double butted spoke, he can afford to cut them out. They are inexpensive and he is keystoning+ for silver double butted spokes.

But still silly to clam he 'cuts them out' if the rim is iffy. But lots of his web site is 'emotional'.

"Let's be very clear about something. Rims for racing bikes, such as the Mavic Open Pro and Velocity Aerohead, are made for people who use bicycles in races. That's why they're called racing bikes; because people actually race with them! To be a competitive road racer, you will not want to weigh much more than about 160 lbs. "

From his web site, copy to Tom Boonen, Thor Hurshold, Mario Cipollini, Indurain, others.

Peter@vecchios said:
I suspect that might be for effect. Every once in a while you will have a rim that just isn't 'right' and you need to get another rim. Taping a new rim next to the damaged one, loosening, swaping takes about as much time as 'cutting them out!' and strarting over. Waste of good spokes.

As for wholesale cost of spokes, well, charging over a dollar for a double butted spoke, he can afford to cut them out. They are inexpensive and he is keystoning+ for silver double butted spokes.

But still silly to clam he 'cuts them out' if the rim is iffy. But lots of his web site is 'emotional'.

"Let's be very clear about something. Rims for racing bikes, such as the Mavic Open Pro and Velocity Aerohead, are made for people who use bicycles in races. That's why they're called racing bikes; because people actually race with them! To be a competitive road racer, you will not want to weigh much more than about 160 lbs. "

From his web site, copy to Tom Boonen, Thor Hurshold, Mario Cipollini, Indurain, others.

Huh...Okay. :confused: