Victoria's McDonalds Hamburgers Questions / Policy

"zolota" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Brock Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pGQIb.890439$6C4.708810@pd7tw1no...
> > Question : I was woundering if the 24 hour drive through after hours
..can
> > be served with my moutain bike as its classed as motor vehical under BC Government Motor Vehical
> > Act.So can someone tell he how they feel about
> the
> > policy...
> >
> > (2) I also have a friend who is handicapped and can use the drive
through
> > but they will not let him but he can't open the front doors to the local
> mc
> > donals ( pandora Street location) as its not got automated doors and he feels that hes getting
> > discriminated because of his disabity and he has
MS
> > and gets tired farly fast so he needs to use his eletric scooter ...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Brock R Bailey Victoria BC Canada
> >
> > [email protected]
>
> Most beaurocrats would expect a properly spelled form before they would respond. "Moutain",
> "vehical" "farly" eletric" and so on suggest that you are a boor.

Which is scarier; the fact that he can't spell or the fact that he doesn't know how to use MS
Outlook Express Spell Check?

I fear the latter over the former.

In article <ZX5Lb.186753$ss5.39954@clgrps13>,
Colin B. <[email protected]> wrote:
> started. As the cycle commuting rate in Victoria is approximately 8%, they are basically telling
> 8% of their potential customers that they are unwelcome.

Are cycle commuters as likely to eat at McDonalds as people in cars? Another illusion shattered.

ian

> Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.

"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a bus

The key point is that bicycles and meant for the road, right beside cars, buses, and SUVs. And AFAIK
they are covered under the Highway Traffic Act. In my city, adults on bicycle are strictly
prohibited from using the sidewalk.

An adult on bicycle thus shares the road EQUALLY with cars. Just as a car drives off the road into a
drive-thru, a bicycle does the exact same thing.

An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so). They
like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV and
insurance + gas.

--
Jem Berkes http://www.sysdesign.ca/

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 06:34:49 GMT, "Troy" <[email protected]>
excreted:

>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.

<slaps forehead>

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
___________________________________
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

Tug McGraw: when asked what he would do with his World Series bonus money, he replied, " I'm gonna
spend 80% on booze and women and the rest I'm gonna waste."

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

You can ride a dune buggy.....Not through McDonalds drive thru

You can ride a bus.....Not through McDonalds drive thru

and you can ride a bike but.....Not through McDonalds drive thru

Get over it.

Hok Chow Lee wrote:
> "zolota" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:u2QKb.12499$ts4.4246@pd7tw3no...
>>
>> "Brock Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pGQIb.890439$6C4.708810@pd7tw1no...
>>> Question : I was woundering if the 24 hour drive through after hours ..can I be served with my
>>> moutain bike as its classed as motor vehical under BC Government Motor Vehical Act.So can
>>> someone tell he how they feel about the policy...
>>>
>>> (2) I also have a friend who is handicapped and can use the drive through but they will not let
>>> him but he can't open the front doors to the local mc donals ( pandora Street location) as
>>> its not got automated doors and he feels that hes getting discriminated because of his
>>> disabity and he has MS and gets tired farly fast so he needs to use his eletric scooter ...
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Brock R Bailey Victoria BC Canada
>>>
>>> [email protected]
>>
>> Most beaurocrats would expect a properly spelled form before they would respond. "Moutain",
>> "vehical" "farly" eletric" and so on suggest that you are a boor.

> Which is scarier; the fact that he can't spell or the fact that he doesn't know how to use MS
> Outlook Express Spell Check?
>

> I fear the latter over the former.

> > Your spelling of " bureaucrats" would suggest the same for you.
> >
> much lower frequency and the error was in a less used word. vehical
indeed!

Uh I think you meant to say "lesser used word" Indeed!

Doug wondering if I made the required spelling or grammatical error in my response

I have never been refused service at a drive through when I was on a bike. In fact, years ago, I
used to go out at lunch to bring back lunch for several people. The Wendy's that I frequented,
suggested that using the drive through would be more efficient for me and for them.

Colin

"Troy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dS6Lb.21180$ts4.18911@pd7tw3no...
> Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a
ride thru.

> Colin B. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZX5Lb.186753$ss5.39954@clgrps13...
> > I have heard that the Pandora Street McDonald's has been a problem
for
> > cyclists for years. Many cyclists in Victoria won't go there due
> > their stupid policy about not allowing bikes in the drive through. Many other drive throughs
> > don't have a problem. Any business can decide who gets to use their drive through and who can't,
> > as long
as
> > they aren't violating human rights.
> >
> > The most powerful weapon that cyclists have at our disposal is the mighty dollar. By choosing
> > where we spend our dollars and where we won't, we are influencing businesses. I would phone the
> > McDonald's
and
> > talk to the manager and let him know that if they don't change
their
> > policy, you will no longer be going there and you will encourage others to do the same thing. It
> > wouldn't take much for that
McDonald's
> > to lose thousands of dollars in lost business if a boycott was started. As the cycle commuting
> > rate in Victoria is approximately
8%,
> > they are basically telling 8% of their potential customers that
they
> > are unwelcome.
> >
> > I certainly won't be going to that McDonalds when I am in
Victoria.

On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a bus

You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow a bus at
the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!

>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so). They
>like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV and
>insurance + gas.

The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance companies
will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other than people in
cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-controlled, non-exhaust-fume-
breathing interior of the building.

*Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such as
pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
--
Rick Onanian

Troy wrote:

> You can ride a dune buggy.....Not through McDonalds drive thru
>
> You can ride a bus.....Not through McDonalds drive thru....

Driving a bus through the offending drive thru would be one solution to the problem. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> I have never been refused service at a drive through when I was on a bike. In fact, years ago, I
> used to go out at lunch to bring back lunch for several people. The Wendy's that I frequented,
> suggested that using the drive through would be more efficient for me and for them.

Wow, I didn't know so many people are able to go through drive-throughs!

Since I've been rejected a couple of times I just don't bother going at all anymore. Drive throughs
can kiss my ass

The way the law in Illinois is written, to paraphrase, is:

A bicycle is a vehicle with the same rights and resposibilities as other vehicles with the
exceptions of the other laws in this section. Bicycles must use the right edge, bicycles cannot be
rode on sidewalks in business districts where signed are posted.

You can park in a business's parklng lot while cunduction business inside. If you go to work
instead, and they have towing signs up, you might be towed.

Drive thrus usually have low roofs over the window, you can't take an RV or bus through.

I can see a business banning (BMX) bicycles, roller bladers, skate boardes from playing around on
the parking lot. I don't see the logic of banning a bicycle from a drive up lane.

When they tell you it is too dangerous, try this reply: Well, they are only doing 5 mph through the
driveup. After I'm done here, I am required by law to get onto the road where they are doing 45 mph
in a 30 mph zone (whoops, 75 kph in a 50 kph zone) changing radio stations, when I can only do 10-25
mph (15-40 kph).

"Colin B." wrote:

> I have never been refused service at a drive through when I was on a bike. In fact, years ago, I
> used to go out at lunch to bring back lunch for several people. The Wendy's that I frequented,
> suggested that using the drive through would be more efficient for me and for them.
>
> Colin

<snip

Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
JB> When they wouldn't serve me alone (on bike), I got some friends and we drove in formation to
JB> look more like a car. They still didn't like that, s next time I'm coming back with an air horn
JB> and some device to spews filthy black smoke.

Of course, you're just making sure they win then, because no matter how badly you jeel they're
treating yuo, you're going to INSIST they make a profit from you!

If you really want the policy to change to allow you to go through without a car:

1. do NOT spend even a dollar at McDonalds until such time as they've corrected the policy you
disagree with
2. Write head office a letter (emails or phone calls are no substitute for a real letter) explaining
your dissatisfaction with their policy
3. Spend your fast food hamburger money at Wendy's or Burger King until such time as you are
satisfied with McDonalds.

Do NOT back down, or you may as well not even bother with any of these steps!

So long as you continue to spend your money there, especially if you're just gonna keep trying
different ways to get through when they don't have an official policy allowing it, you're asking
them to keep it the way it is!

Your friend,

<+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!) Ask me how to connect with me in any of 5 Instant
Messengers

(Please quote with "gapope wrote...") -=- In essentials, unity; In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine -=-

--
. from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca << Official Reply Address for Usenet Post .

"Colin B." <[email protected]> wrote: "B> I have heard that the Pandora Street McDonald's has
been a problem for "B> cyclists for years. Many cyclists in Victoria won't go there due to "B> their
stupid policy about not allowing bikes in the drive through. "B> Many other drive throughs don't
have a problem. Any business can "B> decide who gets to use their drive through and who can't, as
long as "B> they aren't violating human rights.

No doubt this McOutlet is a franchise, and the owner is paranoid about lawsuits from injured
cyclists. . .

What can you cyclists do to allay his fears?

Your friend,

<+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!) Ask me how to connect with me in any of 5 Instant
Messengers

(Please quote with "gapope wrote...") -=- In essentials, unity; In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine -=-

--
. from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca << Official Reply Address for Usenet Post .

> Of course, you're just making sure they win then, because no matter how badly you jeel they're
> treating yuo, you're going to INSIST they make a profit from you!

Actually I've stopped going. The biking issue was bad enough... but the last time I went by car, a
prostitute/crack addict or something kept harassing the drives of the cars in line.

--
Jem Berkes http://www.sysdesign.ca/

IB> In article <ZX5Lb.186753$ss5.39954@clgrps13>,
IB> Colin B. <[email protected]> wrote:
IB> > started. As the cycle commuting rate in Victoria is approximately 8%, they are basically
IB> > telling 8% of their potential customers that they are unwelcome.

Being this is the van.general newsgroup (in VANCOUVER) it seems to me the thread must've been
started about the one McDonalds outlet at Victoria & Kingsway in Vancouver, rather than a McDonalds
citywide policy in Victoria. . .

hmmm?

Your friend,

<+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!) Ask me how to connect with me in any of 5 Instant
Messengers

(Please quote with "gapope wrote...") -=- In essentials, unity; In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine -=-

--
. from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca << Official Reply Address for Usenet Post .

"Troy" <[email protected]> wrote: "> Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru
not a ride thru

Drive thrus are designed to facilitate the exchange of money & McFood, for the greater purpose of
McProfit. . .

Your friend,

<+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!) Ask me how to connect with me in any of 5 Instant
Messengers

(Please quote with "gapope wrote...") -=- In essentials, unity; In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine -=-

--
. from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca << Official Reply Address for Usenet Post .

LOL....thats a whole other thread!!!!

Jem Berkes <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Of course, you're just making sure they win then, because no matter how badly you jeel they're
> > treating yuo, you're going to INSIST they make a profit from you!
>
> Actually I've stopped going. The biking issue was bad enough... but the last time I went by car, a
> prostitute/crack addict or something kept harassing the drives of the cars in line.
>
> --
> Jem Berkes http://www.sysdesign.ca/

Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
JB> > Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
JB>
JB> "Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a bus

It's Usenet, you should be aware that depending on who you ask, EVERYTHING is a basis for
an argument!

Your rebuttal does naught, because you're not going to see a bus OR a dune buggy in a drive-
thru lane!

JB> The key point is that bicycles and meant for the road, right beside cars, buses, and SUVs. And
JB> AFAIK they are covered under the Highway Traffic Act. In my city, adults on bicycle are strictly
JB> prohibited from using the sidewalk.

Never stops the jerks from screaming down the sidewalks, endangering old folks, though! :(

JB> An adult on bicycle thus shares the road EQUALLY with cars. Just as a car drives off the road
JB> into a drive-thru, a bicycle does the exact same thing

This is up to McDonalds, is it not, being the Drive-Thru lane, unlike the roads, is
PRIVATE PROPERTY?

JB> An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so).
JB> They like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV
JB> and insurance + gas.

But they also run a greater risk of getting put in position to sue McDonalds, if they get mashed in
the drive-thru lane, since it IS private property!

On 14 Jan 2004 00:14:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Of course, you're just making sure they win then, because no matter how badly you jeel they're
>> treating yuo, you're going to INSIST they make a profit from you!
>
>Actually I've stopped going. The biking issue was bad enough... but the last time I went by car, a
>prostitute/crack addict or something kept harassing the drives of the cars in line.

Was it this woman?

http://www.yuks.com/yuksv1i2/page5.html