Victoria's McDonalds Hamburgers Questions / Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
>> Actually I've stopped going. The biking issue was bad enough... but the last time I went by car,
>> a prostitute/crack addict or something kept harassing the drives of the cars in line.

> LOL....thats a whole other thread!!!!

And I'm not even in Vancouver (in Winnipeg actually). Yes, we have crack whores too! I couldn't
believe it, this girl was walking around at -25 and was asking about McFlurries. I don't know if
that's some kind of street slang.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:01:17 GMT, Chris B.
<bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> mumbled incoherently:

>On 14 Jan 2004 00:14:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Of course, you're just making sure they win then, because no matter how badly you jeel they're
>>> treating yuo, you're going to INSIST they make a profit from you!
>>
>>Actually I've stopped going. The biking issue was bad enough... but the last time I went by car, a
>>prostitute/crack addict or something kept harassing the drives of the cars in line.
>
>Was it this woman?
>
>http://www.yuks.com/yuksv1i2/page5.html

LOL!

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department

Tug McGraw: when asked what he would do with his World Series bonus money, he replied, " I'm gonna
spend 80% on booze and women and the rest I'm gonna waste."

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

G's this topic had sure gone on for a bit.. lol

Rick Onanian wrote:
> Somebody else wrote:
>
>>>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
>
>
> On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
>
>>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a bus
>
>
> You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow a bus
> at the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!
>
>
>>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so).
>>They like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV and
>>insurance + gas.
>
>
> The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance companies
> will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other than people in
> cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-controlled, non-exhaust-fume-
> breathing interior of the building.
>
> *Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such as
> pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
> --
> Rick Onanian

The St. Louis bicycle federation has had good results with getting
bicycles permitted in drive-up lanes.
http://www.stlbikefed.org/

Sample letters: http://www.stlbikefed.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=3D138 Write a letter requesting
access to =E2=80=9Cdrive through=E2=80=9D servi= ce Sample text: On (Date), I rode my bike to the
drive up window of your business and was denied service. I was told that there was a prohibition on
serving bike-up customers. The drive up window is far more convenient than locking a bicycle. You
may not be aware that under the laws of all 50 states, bicycles are considered vehicles and the same
rules and rights are extended to bike riders. Some companies have expressed a concern for the safety
of cyclists in a drive up. However denying service to one group because of the dangerous actions of
others -- careless motorists -- seems unfair and arbitrary. Numerous local businesses, including
Commerce Bank and Lions Choice, have policies allowing bike-up business. I urge you to do the same,
and help reduce air pollution, traffic congestion and promote convenience for all your customers. =

DiabloScott wrote:
> =

> Some interesting stories about this topic here:
> =

> http://www.bicyclepaper.com/bp/Archives/08_03-BP.pdf
> =

> Jump to page 2 if you're in a hurry. Boulder CO has a bike-up banking window and there's a guy
> who took his bank to task over the issue as well, plus some pointers on changing your bank's
> policy, etc.
> =

> --

LOL...no **** eh!!!???? So how's about them 'Nuks?

shadowman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<QSwNb.109315$JQ1.85604@pd7tw1no>...
> G's this topic had sure gone on for a bit.. lol
>
>
> Rick Onanian wrote:
> > Somebody else wrote:
> >
> >>>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
> >
> >
> > On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
> >
> >>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a bus
> >
> >
> > You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow a
> > bus at the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!
> >
> >
> >>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so).
> >>They like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV
> >>and insurance + gas.
> >
> >
> > The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance
> > companies will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other than
> > people in cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-
> > controlled, non-exhaust-fume-breathing interior of the building.
> >
> > *Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such as
> > pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
> > --
> > Rick Onanian

What about my nuk's lol

Becky wrote:
> LOL...no **** eh!!!???? So how's about them 'Nuks?
>
>
>
>
> shadowman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<QSwNb.109315$JQ1.85604@pd7tw1no>...
>
>>G's this topic had sure gone on for a bit.. lol
>>
>>
>>Rick Onanian wrote:
>>
>>>Somebody else wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
>>>
>>>
>>>On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a bus
>>>
>>>
>>>You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow a bus
>>>at the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so).
>>>>They like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV
>>>>and insurance + gas.
>>>
>>>
>>>The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance
>>>companies will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other than
>>>people in cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-
>>>controlled, non-exhaust-fume-breathing interior of the building.
>>>
>>>*Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such as
>>>pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
>>>--
>>>Rick Onanian

*** the 'nucks!

Your friend,

<+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!) Ask me how to connect with me in any of 5 Instant
Messengers

(Please quote with "gapope wrote...") -=- In essentials, unity; In non-essentials, liberty;
in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine -=-

shadowman <[email protected]> wrote:
S> What about my nuk's lol
S>
S>
S> Becky wrote:
S> > LOL...no **** eh!!!???? So how's about them 'Nuks?
S> >
S> >
S> >
S> >
S> > shadowman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<QSwNb.1
S> JQ1.85604@pd7tw1no>...
S> >
S> >>G's this topic had sure gone on for a bit.. lol
S> >>
S> >>
S> >>Rick Onanian wrote:
S> >>
S> >>>Somebody else wrote:
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>>>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a
S> >>>>bus
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow a
S> >>>bus at the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probab more justifiably so).
S> >>>>They like have more money to spend at McDonald's because they haven't bought an expensive SUV
S> >>>>and insurance + gas.
S> >>>
S> >>>
S> >>>The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance
S> >>>companies will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other
S> >>>than people in cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-
S> >>>controlled, non-exhaust-fume-breathing interior of the building.
S> >>>
S> >>>*Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such as
S> >>>pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
S> >>>--
S> >>>Rick Onanian
S>
--
. from gapope(at)vcn(dot)bc(dot)ca << Official Reply Address for Usenet Post .

yeah...I wish.....:p

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> *** the 'nucks!
>
> Your friend,
>
> <+]::-{(} ("Cyberpope," the Bishop of ROM!) Ask me how to connect with me in any of 5 Instant
> Messengers
>
> (Please quote with "gapope wrote...") -=- In essentials, unity; In non-essentials,
> liberty; in all things, charity. -- Baxter quoting Augustine -=-
>
>
>
> shadowman <[email protected]> wrote:
> S> What about my nuk's lol
> S>
> S>
> S> Becky wrote:
> S> > LOL...no **** eh!!!???? So how's about them 'Nuks?
> S> >
> S> >
> S> >
> S> >
> S> > shadowman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<QSwNb.1
> S> JQ1.85604@pd7tw1no>...
> S> >
> S> >>G's this topic had sure gone on for a bit.. lol
> S> >>
> S> >>
> S> >>Rick Onanian wrote:
> S> >>
> S> >>>Somebody else wrote:
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>>>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride a
> S> >>>>bus
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow
> S> >>>a bus at the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probab more justifiably
> S> >>>>so). They like have more money to spend at McDonald's because they haven't bought an
> S> >>>>expensive SUV and insurance + gas.
> S> >>>
> S> >>>
> S> >>>The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance
> S> >>>companies will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other
> S> >>>than people in cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-
> S> >>>controlled, non-exhaust-fume-breathing interior of the building.
> S> >>>
> S> >>>*Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such
> S> >>>as pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
> S> >>>--
> S> >>>Rick Onanian
> S

O SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadowman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<yaJNb.119420$X%5.106538@pd7tw2no>...
> What about my nuk's lol
>
>
> Becky wrote:
> > LOL...no **** eh!!!???? So how's about them 'Nuks?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > shadowman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<QSwNb.109315$JQ1.85604@pd7tw1no>...
> >
> >>G's this topic had sure gone on for a bit.. lol
> >>
> >>
> >>Rick Onanian wrote:
> >>
> >>>Somebody else wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>>Drive thrus are designed for cars.It's called a drive thru not a ride thru.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>On 8 Jan 2004 16:02:54 GMT, Jem Berkes <[email protected]__org> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>"Drive" vs. "Ride" is not a basis for an argument: You can ride a dune buggy You can ride
> >>>>a bus
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>You can "drive" either of those. I've never heard of "driving" a bike. I doubt they'd allow a
> >>>bus at the drive through, though. The nerve of them! Those bastards!
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>An adult on bicycle also gets as hungry as a someone in an SUV (probably more justifiably so).
> >>>>They like have more money to spend at McDonald's, because they haven't bought an expensive SUV
> >>>>and insurance + gas.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>The same goes for a pedestrian, a rollerblader, or somebody on a donkey. Their insurance
> >>>companies will still drop them like a rock if it's found out that they allow anybody other than
> >>>people in cars, SUVs, and small trucks* through. The rest can go into the nice, climate-
> >>>controlled, non-exhaust-fume-breathing interior of the building.
> >>>
> >>>*Small trucks in this context meaning non-CDL and trucks that fit the space available, such as
> >>>pickups, consumer-sized vans, and very small box trucks.
> >>>--
> >>>Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> "Colin B." <[email protected]> wrote: "B> I have heard that the Pandora Street McDonald's has
> been a problem for "B> cyclists for years. Many cyclists in Victoria won't go there due to "B>
> their stupid policy about not allowing bikes in the drive through. "B> Many other drive throughs
> don't have a problem. Any business can "B> decide who gets to use their drive through and who
> can't, as long as "B> they aren't violating human rights.
>
> No doubt this McOutlet is a franchise, and the owner is paranoid about lawsuits from injured
> cyclists. . .

I think places that prohibit cyclists from theirdrive-thrus are more paranoid about being robbed.
A bike could be a pretty good getaway vehicle -- able to manoeuver through tight squeezes, and
easily ditched.

> What can you cyclists do to allay his fears?

If I had the wherewithal, I'd be tempted to contribute to his fears, by competing with him. A cyclist-
oriented fast-food joint with a ride-thru, from which cars would be banned. Wouldn't need a
humongous parking lot. And the food would be much better. Maybe the main item could be tasty,
customizable variations on reuben sandwiches, ranging from the healthful, to the delightfully
decadent. Throw in some epicurian takes such as tiger-prawns-on-buttery-sourdough-bun burgers,
hotdog bau, and the best cha siu bau in the world, some exotic gelatos, and yer set. If the drivers
complain about not being allowed in, I could just mutter some **** about insurance, and how other,
cyclist-banning places have set a precedent.

Who needs McD's anyways?

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

[email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:

> > No doubt this McOutlet is a franchise, and the owner is paranoid about lawsuits from injured
> > cyclists. . .
>
> I think places that prohibit cyclists from theirdrive-thrus are more paranoid about being robbed.
> A bike could be a pretty good getaway vehicle -- able to manoeuver through tight squeezes, and
> easily ditched.

That doesn't explain it - I've heard of problems with this in suburbia where a car would let you get
away even faster. Also, if you are going to risk a jail term for robbery, you might as well get the
loot from all the cash registers, not just the drive-up window.

> > What can you cyclists do to allay his fears?

The town I live in has an ordinance requiring businesses that have drive-up windows for vehicles to
accept bicycles as well.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Bill Z.) writes:
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes:
>
>> > No doubt this McOutlet is a franchise, and the owner is paranoid about lawsuits from injured
>> > cyclists. . .
>>
>> I think places that prohibit cyclists from theirdrive-thrus are more paranoid about being robbed.
>> A bike could be a pretty good getaway vehicle -- able to manoeuver through tight squeezes, and
>> easily ditched.
>
> That doesn't explain it - I've heard of problems with this in suburbia where a car would let you
> get away even faster.

Deke-ability can often supercede brute-force speed in an ungainly, fat vehicle that can't squeeze
between semi-detached suburban shoebox housing units.

Drive-thrus can be fraught with speed bumps, and other cars ahead of ya. A rider on a bike has a
clearer shot at the exit (or practically any other way out of the lot where cars can't go).

> Also, if you are going to risk a jail term for robbery, you might as well get the loot from all
> the cash registers, not just the drive-up window.

You don't think like a crook (that's a compliment).

>> > What can you cyclists do to allay his fears?
>
> The town I live in has an ordinance requiring businesses that have drive-up windows for vehicles
> to accept bicycles as well.

Bully for you. The rest of us are stuck with what we've got. As far as I know, Vancouver doesn't
have an ordinance requiring businesses that have ride-up windows to accept cars as well.

--