Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??

Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??

Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

[email protected] wrote:
> Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
>
> Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
> trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
was for sale on Ebay.

Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
fix a Varsity with one.

Jeff

On 1/1/07 3:27 PM, in article
[email protected], "JeffWills"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
>>
>> Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
>> trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
> and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
> was for sale on Ebay.
>
> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
> fix a Varsity with one.
>
> Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Wrench-Force-Snap-On-Pedal-32mm-Headset-Wrench_W0QQi
temZ180068420632QQihZ008QQcategoryZ27953QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Elora (http://www.elora.de )makes a 32mm flare nut wrench. These
wrenches sell for about $45, the only downside is that the forging is
crude. I am trying to find out if anyone else makes a 32mm flare nut
wrench...??

JeffWills wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
> >
> > Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
> > trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
> and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
> was for sale on Ebay.
>
> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
> fix a Varsity with one.
>
> Jeff

I am a little surprised that these wrenches are so hard to find. They
were really great. You could adust headsets very easily with them.

Elora (http://www.elora.de )makes a 32mm flare nut wrench. These
wrenches sell for about $45, the only downside is that the forging is
crude. I am trying to find out if anyone else makes a 32mm flare nut
wrench...??

VAR also made a 32mm flare nut style wrench for headsets.

JeffWills wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
> >
> > Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
> > trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
> and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
> was for sale on Ebay.
>
> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
> fix a Varsity with one.
>
> Jeff

so does Park Tool

http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=50&item=HW-2

Dave wrote:
> so does Park Tool
>
> http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=50&item=HW-2

that's not the point. the point is that he wants snap-on. snap-on used
to be legendary and are still highly prized, especially rare stuff like
that.

JeffWills wrote:
> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
> and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
> was for sale on Ebay.
> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
> fix a Varsity with one.

Heh heh.
16-1/2 inches long, two pounds of shiny chromed steel, a real beauty!
Ours has its own custom wall fixture.

Bought mine from Peter Davis at Champaign Cycle in 1975.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

ST wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Wrench-Force-Snap-On-Pedal-32mm-Headset-Wrench_W0QQi
> temZ180068420632QQihZ008QQcategoryZ27953QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Not even close! The real one is forged by Snap On and 8mm thick, not
punched from sheet

--

ST wrote:
> On 1/1/07 3:27 PM, in article
> [email protected], "JeffWills"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
>>>
>>> Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
>>> trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

>> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
>> and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
>> was for sale on Ebay.
>>
>> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
>> fix a Varsity with one.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Wrench-Force-Snap-On-Pedal-32mm-Headset-Wrench_W0QQi
> temZ180068420632QQihZ008QQcategoryZ27953QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

that's incorrectly labeled. manufacturer is "wrench force" not snap-on.

A Muzi wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
>>> Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
>>> trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

> JeffWills wrote:
>> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
>> and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
>> was for sale on Ebay.
>> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
>> fix a Varsity with one.

> Heh heh.
> 16-1/2 inches long, two pounds of shiny chromed steel, a real beauty!
> Ours has its own custom wall fixture.
>
> Bought mine from Peter Davis at Champaign Cycle in 1975.

awesome! can you post a pic?

A Muzi wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Wanted: Snap-on Schwinn headset wrench....??
> >> Awhile back Snap-on made a 32mm headset wrench for Schwinn.. I was
> >> trying to find one, but they are pretty rare.

> JeffWills wrote:
> > Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay search
> > and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though *everything*
> > was for sale on Ebay.
> > Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you could
> > fix a Varsity with one.

> Heh heh.
> 16-1/2 inches long, two pounds of shiny chromed steel, a real beauty!
> Ours has its own custom wall fixture.
>
> Bought mine from Peter Davis at Champaign Cycle in 1975.

Two pounds? Dang- I really am a 95-pound weakling. They always seemed
to weigh 10 pounds when I grabbed it at the shop.

Or did you mean 2 pounds of chrome *plating* on top of 8 pounds of
steel? That I can believe.

Jeff

jim beam wrote:
> awesome! can you post a pic?

sure:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/32SNAPON.JPG

--

JeffWills wrote:
> Two pounds? Dang- I really am a 95-pound weakling. They always seemed
> to weigh 10 pounds when I grabbed it at the shop.
> Or did you mean 2 pounds of chrome *plating* on top of 8 pounds of
> steel? That I can believe.

I weighed it at one pound 15-1/2 ounces

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> "JeffWills" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Holy cats- I just typed "schwinn headset wrench" into the Ebay
> >> search and came up with... nothing, zip, nada. And here I though
> >> *everything* was for sale on Ebay.
> >>
> >> Those old Schwinn-by-Snap-on wrenches were monsters. Heck, you
> >> could fix a Varsity with one.

> ST wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Wrench-Force-Snap-On-Pedal-32mm-Headset-Wren
> > ch_W0QQi
> > temZ180068420632QQihZ008QQcategoryZ27953QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

> Not even close! The real one is forged by Snap On and 8mm thick, not
> punched from sheet

Back when the Wrench Force product line was introduced, ISTR part of the
announcement indicating that the tools were made by Snap-On. The Wrench
Force tools I have seen don't seem to be Snap-On quality, though.

A Muzi wrote:

>> A Muzi wrote:
>>> Heh heh.
>>> 16-1/2 inches long, two pounds of shiny chromed steel, a real beauty!
>>> Ours has its own custom wall fixture.
>>> Bought mine from Peter Davis at Champaign Cycle in 1975.

> jim beam wrote:
>> awesome! can you post a pic?

> sure:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/32SNAPON.JPG

ooh, aah...

The nice thing about Snap On box wrenches and sockets is that
the corners are gouged out in such a way that the nut is grabbed on
the flats instead of the corners - no rounding off damage, then. Also,
they are more slender than other makes, the better to fit into tight
places. Oh, and too, the tools look like they were made not by
machinists, but by jewelers.

You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

- Yogi Berra

And on the the topic of unfortunately discontinued Snap-On
tools: their earlier version of the 3/8 inch drive stub ratchet - the
most compact one I've seen:

http://tinyurl.com/ykfn2n

Snortley wrote:

> And on the the topic of unfortunately discontinued Snap-On
> tools: their earlier version of the 3/8 inch drive stub ratchet - the
> most compact one I've seen:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ykfn2n

unfortunately, i think snap-on have rather lost the plot in recent
years. current ratchets don't have a button release for example. when
your hands are slippery with oil and you need to change the socket,
there's not much grip possible, hence a button release means you can
press and just let the socket off with gravity. without button release,
you have to wipe, grip, pull like crazy, and swear to get the socket
off. it sucks. snap-on ratchets used to be the best in the world, now,
even cheapo corner store ratchets have better features. crazy.

Yep, the dissapearance of the release button is pain. A small
slotted screwdriver will pry off the socket, though it's a pain to
reach for a tool for a tool.

BTW, new location for the pic of the stub ratchet:

http://tinyurl.com/yegxky

Another vanishing tool I miss is the SK flex-ratchet I use to
have. The hinge points were 180 degrees apart on the circular ratchet
head; the handle could be turned so you could spin on a nut
screwdriver-fashion, and then turn the handle 90 degrees to lay in the
torque. Very handy.