Well, this sucks.

You're all seeing San Diego's weather on the Superbowl coverage so I won't mention the 70 and sunny
temps that we seen to almost always have...

The one thing that y'all in the cold weather climates have as an advantage is burnout (or lack of).
Some of the guys in SD/SoCal can (and do!) ride at the same level all year long. They don't get much
slower in the "winter" or much faster in the summer. Since I grew up riding in VA, where its snows
just enough that riding indoors is a smart thing in the winter, I used to look forward to spring and
getting back outside. Now that I'm in SD, there isn't really that problem so I find myself going too
hard too early in the season and dying in Aug/Sep. As long as you wait till after 0900 or so, you
don't really even need more than knee warmers most of the winter. With racing starting next (!)
weekend, its time to start thinking about intervals, sprints, and the like. Good thing the track
season really doesn't kick off till April.

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know what you mean. This crazy weather has been rough. Here in Santa Cruz we've had a week
> at a time between one or two day rain storms instead of the other way around. I'm getting in
> so many miles that I'm in as good of shape as I ever am in the middle of summer and am
> starting to get exhausted. It's just so beautiful out I am having a really hard time taking an
> easy rest day. Yesterday I tried really hard to go for an easy hour maybe 15 miles, by the
> time I got home I had 36 miles and 2 1/2
hours.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:31:39 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

>Well it's a nippy 74F in the shade on another sunny day in LA. Shorts and short-sleeves for me. The
>funny thing is when I roll out there in a few minutes I will see plenty of people dressed head to
>toe in fleece and tights. Brr it's winter!!

It may be heading down to the teens tonight in Alabama, but at least I can breathe the air without
starting to cough and wheeze!

Pat

Steve McDonald <[email protected]> wrote:
: By the way, would all these people who are tired of freezing every Winter, be allowed to immigrate
: to Oz or is bicycle riding considered to be a disqualifying character flaw there, the way it was
: when I went across Texas?

funny you should mention that. i'm a native minnesotan and i've been pretty successfully avoiding
winter all year. lately i made it to darwin, australia visiting my aunt and right now it's 33C (and
it sure as hell is the humidity). i'm peeling off the furniture at the moment. beats the hell out of
-20C and out of principle i *NEVER* complain about the heat. back to brisbane will be nice, tho.

i remember visiting san francisco in january years back and what a revelation it was that january
didn't have to be freezing.

someone must know this, but the oft-referenced australian helmet law appears to be a new south wales
thing or at least it's pretty routinely ignored in queensland and northern territory. is that right?
--
david reuteler [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:31:39 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:
>
>>Well it's a nippy 74F in the shade on another sunny day in LA. Shorts and short-sleeves for me.
>>The funny thing is when I roll out there in a few minutes I will see plenty of people dressed head
>>to toe in fleece and tights. Brr it's winter!!
>
>It may be heading down to the teens tonight in Alabama, but at least I can breathe the air without
>starting to cough and wheeze!

You obviously don't know the secret - filtration by breathing through your teeth...

Seriously though, poor air quality may kill me early but I haven't noticed any short-term effect
in myself.

--Paul

"Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:31:39 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:
>
> >Well it's a nippy 74F in the shade on another sunny day in LA. Shorts and short-sleeves for me.
> >The funny thing is when I roll out there in a few minutes I will see plenty of people dressed
> >head to toe in fleece and tights. Brr it's winter!!
>
> It may be heading down to the teens tonight in Alabama, but at least I can breathe the air without
> starting to cough and wheeze!

Ya ain't smokin' enough!

Robin Hubert

>> =v= Which 15th Street is that? :^)
> The one a block away from 14th street.

=v= Only in certain cities. <_Jym_

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 05:32:22 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:31:39 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:
>>
>> >Well it's a nippy 74F in the shade on another sunny day in LA. Shorts and short-sleeves for me.
>> >The funny thing is when I roll out there in a few minutes I will see plenty of people dressed
>> >head to toe in fleece and tights. Brr it's winter!!
>>
>> It may be heading down to the teens tonight in Alabama, but at least I can breathe the air
>> without starting to cough and wheeze!
>

>Ya ain't smokin' enough!

Is that why cigarette taxes are so high in California? The airborne **** is provided as a
public service?