What is the most effective way to see traffic coming from behind.

Quote by JH:
"Being as old enough to identify Trilobite feces from the region it was born in, yes I can."

OK...that one I had to Google! Troglodytes are my relatives!

Quote by dhk2
"But yeah, I may be giving myself too much credit for being able to bail off the road in event a car doesn't pull over to pass safely."

I used to think I was a cat with 9 lives when it came to diving onto the berm/grass...until that '83 Camaro (mullet optional) ran up my ass resulting in a broken back. I was well aware he was coming. Drugaholic John Force type behind the wheel. I never knew I could fly so far without an airplane.

8 lives left.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Remember when cars had all those chrome-trimmed rain gutters, radio antennae minus the wind noise killing wire spiraling around it, twin flat mirrors on the doors, a grill with 400 pounds of decorative stainless steel and exposed wipers that generated a vortex large enough to affect landing 747's? You could hear them coming up on you from 1/2-mile back! Add a set of polyglass radials thumping and you could have safely cycled with a 15" Fisher thumping in each ear.
I also remember when us northern folk used to mount a pair of 'deer whistles' to the front bumper to alert Bambi of the 4,000lbs torpedo coming there way. Maybe the government will create a law forcing those Prius' to have one to warn us lonely bikers. Perhaps one of you clever inventors here could invent the new improved 'Two Wheel Whistle' for those new quite cars.......of course they would have to reinvent a stiffer chrome front bumper to mount them to.
tongue.png

Never fear!

Our wise and omnipotent overlords...AKA da goobermint...already has new legislation in the works:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles A Proposed Rule by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on 01/14/2013

Action Notice Of Proposed Rulemaking (Nprm).
Summary As required by the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (PSEA) of 2010 this rule proposes to establish a Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) setting minimum sound requirements for hybrid and electric vehicles. This new standard would require hybrid and electric passenger cars, light trucks and vans (LTVs), medium and heavy duty, trucks, and buses, low speed vehicles (LSVs), and motorcycles to produce sounds meeting the requirements of this standard. This proposed standard applies to electric vehicles (EVs) and to those hybrid vehicles (HVs) that are capable of propulsion in any forward or reverse gear without the vehicle's internal combustion engine (ICE) operating. This standard would ensure that blind, visually-impaired, and other pedestrians are able to detect and recognize nearby hybrid and electric vehicles, as required by the PSEA, by requiring that hybrid and electric vehicles emit sound that pedestrians would be able to hear in a range of ambient environments and contain acoustic signal content that pedestrians will recognize as being emitted from a vehicle.

Never ones to waste a perfectly good tragedy...or increase taxation and devise new revenue streams...they will soon have Nissan Leafs (would that be "Leaves"???) playing hip-hop at 82 to 85 Db and those Toyoda Pious's would have to emit the scent of freshly cut redwood 500' feet in front of the vehicle at speeds below 25 MPH and patchouli if travelling in excess of 35 MPH. The 25-35 speed range be filled with death metal ballads.

I remember riding down the street after installing new slip-ons on my V-Max and setting of every car alarm on the block. I guarantee no one was inadvertently stepping of the curb against the light with that fire breather rolling up!

They came off after about a week and were replaced with something more in line with the social contract. I do me love the sound comin' outta some straight pipes though.

"Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!111!!"

Motorcyclists usually are safe passers, in my experience, but...some of the H-D guys roaring by at 75 MPH with drag pipes in a 45 MPH zone can freak the **** out of me. And yeah, one of my H-D's has straight pipes. As long as I control the right wrist it's pretty quiet. Open it upon a warm summer night...

I actually think tire/wind noise from overtaking vehicles alerts me more to their presence that exhaust decibels...until we get into the, "Yeah, I have a mullet." range.

Tune your senses grasshopper. You should be in tune to be able to sense a cats whiskers brushing against a spider web at 1000 yards.

Too much time spent hunting with no ear pro.

Of course, I have a built-in excuse for ignoring SWMBO.

Cat ears things that get rid of wind noise are great for allowing you to hear cars you otherwise would not have Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by VeloSport
Get a rear mirror with LED flash light is the cheapest and most effective way.
Absolutely fantastic. Do they come in a set of two? Can I get big square ones like on my pickemup truck? Why are red LEDs facing foreward?

Originally Posted by Scott2468

Absolutely fantastic. Do they come in a set of two? Can I get big square ones like on my pickemup truck? Why are red LEDs facing foreward?
This one only comes in leftie. Can get a set of two for mirrors without the light like these ones. Guess they can't put the LED light on the same face as the mirror that's why it's facing forward instead??

For your truck, maybe you're looking at something like this??

Originally Posted by VeloSport
Get a rear mirror with LED flash light is the cheapest and most effective way.
RED lights facing forward are a bad idea, and could easily confuse jaywalking pedestrians crossing the street as to the bicycles direction of travel.

More detrimental to the cyclist however would be any confusion on the part of a driver in a 4000lb automobile. Imagine approaching an intersection as a cyclist with a vehicle waiting to make a left turn across the bicycles direction of travel. The driver may very well believe they are clear of obstacles and drive right into the cyclist. White light in front, red light behind. We see red, we think going. We see white, we think coming. Not sure what the rules are in China (as it appears where the product is packaged), but this is not a US friendly product.

Originally Posted by danfoz

RED lights facing forward are a bad idea, and could easily confuse jaywalking pedestrians crossing the street as to the bicycles direction of travel.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that they're illegal where I live. And you know what else are illegal, on a bike or any other private or commercial vehicle? Blue lights. Reserved solely for law enforcement vehicles.

Singapore drives on the left side of the road. Red lights go in front, white lights go to the rear and amber lights are legal only on pedicabs. Mirrors face traffic to reflect the light of oncoming vehicles back to the drivers to warn of your approach.

Ya know, if I saw Ossifer Crispy Creme's light bar in my rear view I might be tempted to sprint...I'm pretty sure I could take him.

Then, again, his pudgy trigger finger and that Glock say, "Halt, in the name of the Law!".

Ya know, if I saw Ossifer Crispy Creme's light bar in my rear view I might be tempted to sprint...I'm pretty sure I could take him.
Thats what I was thinking the other day whist terrorizing bike-path jaywalking pedestrians... What if the police who also here have started cycling around made a... High-speed pursuit... On a bike???
big-smile.png

Now that would be funny and probably make it to the news...
big-smile.png
Lucky enough the bike ones dont have guns...

I have my pun ready and everything:

-You were going quite fast on that cycling path sir...
-Not fast enough! You caught me!!!
big-smile.png

Singapore drives on the left side of the road. Red lights go in front, white lights go to the rear and amber lights are legal only on pedicabs. Mirrors face traffic to reflect the light of oncoming vehicles back to the drivers to warn of your approach.
True, or were you just being facetious? If true, how in God's name do they see with red lights forward? You must be making a joke, right?
big-smile.png