What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden)bike or its accessories?

Rex Kerr wrote:
> I can't find it now, but I once saw somebody's writeup online where they
> cut their fender in two at the fork mounting point and made a small
> metal bracket to go through the fork to deal with clearance issues.
> Might that help you?

That's a race blade. Standard issue (no modifications necessary) fender
for frames with little clearance.

\\paul

"Rex Kerr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> If I could I would put a front fender on my trek 1500 but since I can't I
>> wont but I would if I could. would a woodchuck chuck wood?
>> sufficiently OT? lol

> I can't find it now, but I once saw somebody's writeup online where they
> cut their fender in two at the fork mounting point and made a small metal
> bracket to go through the fork to deal with clearance issues. Might that
> help you?

no, i don't want to compromise the frame.
I already compromised the frame's lifetime guarantee by being a second
owner. Not riding in the wet keeps the bike clean anyway. ; )
a metal bracket around the front of the frame with self conceived mud
flap/fender things might work. thank you
now I have choices to make

"Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rex Kerr wrote:
>> I can't find it now, but I once saw somebody's writeup online where they
>> cut their fender in two at the fork mounting point and made a small metal
>> bracket to go through the fork to deal with clearance issues. Might that
>> help you?

> That's a race blade. Standard issue (no modifications necessary) fender
> for frames with little clearance.
>
> \\paul

but I have no clearance. what is the name again?

right, i found it but i have 28c not 23.
thanks anyway, not changing the tire right now.

smn wrote:
> no, i don't want to compromise the frame.

How would that compromise the frame? It was a suggestion to cut the
fender in half, not the fork! :) Something like this: (use fixed
point font:

\___/
| |
_===..| |..==_
| | .
| | .
| | \
/ / )
/ / |
(*)

Forgive the crude ASCII art, but the | | section is the fork and all
characters except the .... around the fork are the original fender.
You'd cut the fender where the ==.. ..== are and replace the .. .. with
a thin metal bracket. Use rivets or some other mechanism to connect the
metal bracket to the fender material. Do you have less than 2mm or so
of clearance for the thin bracket?

If not, your idea of a bracket that goes AROUND the fork seems good.
You'd still cut the fender, and your bracket would either clamp the fork
below the brake where there's more clearance, or above the brake bridge.

Myself... I'm glad that all of my bikes have fender clearance. :)

"Rex Kerr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> smn wrote:
>> no, i don't want to compromise the frame.

> How would that compromise the frame? It was a suggestion to cut the
> fender in half, not the fork! :) Something like this: (use fixed point
> font:
>
> \___/
> | |
> _===..| |..==_
> | | .
> | | .
> | | \
> / / )
> / / |
> (*)
>
> Forgive the crude ASCII art, but the | | section is the fork and all
> characters except the .... around the fork are the original fender. You'd
> cut the fender where the ==.. ..== are and replace the .. .. with a thin
> metal bracket. Use rivets or some other mechanism to connect the metal
> bracket to the fender material. Do you have less than 2mm or so of
> clearance for the thin bracket?
>
> If not, your idea of a bracket that goes AROUND the fork seems good. You'd
> still cut the fender, and your bracket would either clamp the fork below
> the brake where there's more clearance, or above the brake bridge.
>
> Myself... I'm glad that all of my bikes have fender clearance. :)

>>>made a small metal

> bracket to go !!through the fork !! to deal with clearance issues. Might
> that

That is what I call compromising or just misunderstanding.
the space around the tire at the top of the fork is only about the thickness
of two loonies. cause I use 28c x 700
and you meant horizontal to the tire with the same idea as suspension fork
fenders. I might have the bracket but rivets no, I could use nuts and
bolts if I was going to do it.
really sunny today and cold. I should just get out and ride now.
don't get carpal tunnel giving me ascii art. thanks alot ; )

On Jan 21, 3:33 am, "Cathy Kearns" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rex Kerr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > What ONE thing would you change about your favorite (or most ridden) bike
> > or its accessories?

> Favorite:  Skirt guard for myBreezer.  It has the fenders.  It has the
> chain guard.  Now a skirt guard will make it perfect.

I saw Joe Breeze a few minutes ago. He was riding into the Taipei
Cycle show on a DaHon, and talked to him briefly, before I realized
who he was (duh, it was right on his badge). If I see him again this
morning I'll tell him that you want a skirt guard!

He's staying at an el-cheapo hotel right near my el-cheapo hotel, but
he got Josh DaHon to lend him a bicycle for the show so he doesn't
have to take the bus or the MTR (I gave him a hard time for not
bringing one of his own bikes). The weather is great this time of
year. I should have brought a Brompton with me. Taipei has added a lot
of cycling paths along the rivers.

I have seen skirt guards for sale by some manufacturers at the show,
but they are not after-market products.