What percentage of your time/distance doing what?

Claire Petersky

Guest
Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike are
you...

Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?
Participating in some sort of one-day event? (century, charity ride, etc.)
Touring? (multi-day type thing with overnight stop(s), whether
self-supported, credit card or fully supported)
Racing?
Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?
On an indoor trainer or similar?
Other?

Some of you love to log miles, so I'm sure there's some pretty accurate
counts out there, as well as broad guesses.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

When I lived in Chicago, it was 80% utility riding and commuting and
20% tootlin'. About thirty miles per day.

Here in the unnamed moderate sized southern city in which I live, it's
80% fitness/recreation, 20% beer fetchin/tootlin'. About fifteen miles
per day, more in great weather.

Would be more utility riding, but I haven't replaced my Nexus city bike
stolen last year.

Transportation - 75 - 80%
Touring - 10 - 15%
Pure recreation - 10 -15%
One day event - 0 - 2%

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike are
> you...
>
> Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?

75% of the time...miles would be a different story as I live in the
city, and am subject to the start/stop routine of traffic.**

> Participating in some sort of one-day event? (century, charity ride, etc.)

1% - I do the Tour de Cure each year

> Touring? self-supported

0% - Ever since my parents moved to Birmingham, AL, I've wanted to
organize a self-supported trip out there so that we could all show up
smelly and dirty at their nice house in the hills...haha

> Racing?

0% - Road racing has no really appeal to me. Several people I know who
are into it really turned me off by their attitudes. And although the
"status-factor" would probably be even worse, I think track riding would
be fun if you could go with friends and race them.

> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?

20% - I've been taking my friends out to the Silver Comet trail west of
the city to help them get into shape/cycling. Also, if a friend of mine
can hook me up with one of the C'dales her brother acquired while
working as an engineer for the company, I might get more into this. I
go out with my uncle sometimes too, but he rides circles around me on
his carbon fiber Trek.

> On an indoor trainer or similar?

0%

> Other?

4% - Riding places with my girlfriend just so that she can get a feel
for her bike and how to maneuver in traffic/get in shape, etc.

[**I find this so tiring. Obviously my rhythm is constantly being
broken. But also, I'm constantly sprinting so that I can somewhat keep
up with traffic. Even with hills comparable to the city's, when I'm
riding out in the country for recreation I can go so much longer/faster.
It's frustrating.]

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike

are
> you...
>
> Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?

95%-but some of this time is spent "racing" other riders and occasional
dogs...but it's always recreation.

Claire Petersky wrote:

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike are
> you...

> Racing?

<1%. I get out there a few times each year and make
myself puke.

> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?

15%. 50/50 singletrack/tarmac.

> Other?

85%.

Robert

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike are
> you...

Total, last 12 months: 6,000 miles, consisting of

4,600 miles commuting, usually 45-min one-way
1,200 miles Sat. or Sun. rides, usually 2- to 3.5 hr each
200 miles organized one-day event rides
0 miles racing
0 miles touring
0 miles trainer

PF

Claire Petersky wrote:

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike
> are you...

> Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?

50 percent

> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?

50 percent

I hadn't thought about the question and was a bit surprised by the result.
A lot of miles are hard to classify; for example, taking the long way home
could be either commuting or recreational riding.

--
Paul Turner

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike are
> you...
>
> Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?
> Participating in some sort of one-day event? (century, charity ride, etc.)
> Touring? (multi-day type thing with overnight stop(s), whether
> self-supported, credit card or fully supported)
> Racing?
> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?
> On an indoor trainer or similar?
> Other?
>
> Some of you love to log miles, so I'm sure there's some pretty accurate
> counts out there, as well as broad guesses.

I guess it's about 50/50 utility/recreational for me, but
it's hard to tell, because a "gotta" type of ride can easily
mutate into a "wanna", and might-as-well-do-X-while-I'm-here
errands can be taken care of during a "wanna" ride.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats wrote:

> I guess it's about 50/50 utility/recreational for me, but
> it's hard to tell, because a "gotta" type of ride can easily
> mutate into a "wanna", and might-as-well-do-X-while-I'm-here
> errands can be taken care of during a "wanna" ride.

That's exactly why riding a bike is so uniquely cool.
You find yourself utilizing your fun rides, and having
so much damn fun on your utility rides.

Robert

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Turner <[email protected]> wrote:

>A lot of miles are hard to classify; for example, taking the long way home
>could be either commuting or recreational riding.

That one's easy - distance for the short way home counts as commuting,
distance difference between the long way and the short way counts as
recreational.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies [email protected]
How about we maximize length instead? I think I can do one that searches the

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike
> are you...

I have a computer on the bike, but I never get round to formally logging the
information...

> Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?

Work form home, so no commute, but use bike regularly for
shopping/transport. This plus recreation is the majority of my riding.

> Participating in some sort of one-day event? (century, charity ride, etc.)

Occasionally

> Touring? (multi-day type thing with overnight stop(s), whether
> self-supported, credit card or fully supported)

Occasional holiday like this

> Racing?

I've only ever done one race.... on Monday... I rode the 35 miles to get to
the venue & was tricked (nicely) into being in a race. I won! This will tell
you it was *not* in any way serious, but was just for a laugh. Only race I'm
ever likely to take part in and only one I'll ever win ;-)

> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?

Love it. I enjoy cycling alone. Guess I'm an anti-social old bat ;-)

> On an indoor trainer or similar?

Ick... ick.. ick... avoid... avoid!

> Other?

I've never tried doing the laundry whilst on the bike...

wafflycat wrote:

>> Other?
>>

> I've never tried doing the laundry whilst on the bike...

Nor have I, but on a recent holiday I found the bike to be valuable for
quick runs from the pub to the laundromat to throw clothes in the drier
and to check occasionally between beers to see if they were done yet.

--
Paul Turner

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike are
> you...
>
> Commuting/shopping/other transportational riding?
> Participating in some sort of one-day event? (century, charity ride, etc.)
> Touring? (multi-day type thing with overnight stop(s), whether
> self-supported, credit card or fully supported)
> Racing?
> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?
> On an indoor trainer or similar?
> Other?

Can't it be more than one? There's a Tuesday night racing series
(May-Aug) that my club puts on. So here's my typical Tuesday ride:

1) ride race bike to work, 12 km/25 mins
2) ride race bike from work to UBC for the crit, 30 km/45 mins
3) finish warm-up, 5 km/15 mins
4) RACE! 20 km/30 mins
5) Melted jelly-legs ride home, multimodal, 20 km/40 mins riding (about
20 minutes on Skytrain).

So leg 1 is pure commute, more or less. Leg 2 is, well, I don't know if
that's commuting or warm-up. Legs 3 and 4 are pure racing activity, and
leg 5 is cool-down/commute/ride with friends.

> Some of you love to log miles, so I'm sure there's some pretty accurate
> counts out there, as well as broad guesses.

Depends on time of year and where I'm at with work.

Winter - defined here as roughly Nov-March inclusive is probably 85%
commute/utility.
Spring/Autumn [Apr & Oct] probably 65% commute/utility.
Summer [the rest] probably 75% pleasures rides, road loops and off-road
trail rides.

Actual distances.... between winter and off-road rides I never keep a
'puter functioning long enough to ascertain accurate kilometerage. But
weather dependant I try to get in at least two rides per week in summer -
usually a ~50-100 km road ride and a ~30 km trail ride.

Utility rides are whatever is required - though Guelph proper is little
more than - oh - I'd say 12 km from end to furthest end.

--
'Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born

Hit send too soon!

"lowkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Depends on time of year and where I'm at with work.
>
> Winter - defined here as roughly Nov-March inclusive is probably 85%
> commute/utility.
> Spring/Autumn [Apr & Oct] probably 65% commute/utility.
> Summer [the rest] probably 75% pleasures rides, road loops and off-road
> trail rides.
>
> Actual distances.... between winter and off-road rides I never keep a
> 'puter functioning long enough to ascertain accurate total kilometerage.
> But weather dependant I try to get in at least two rides per week in
> summer - usually a ~50-100 km road ride and a ~30 km trail ride.

I usually get in 4 or 5 metric century road rides in a season. Hopefully I
get one imperial century - not counting any cycling vacations I might take -
which I did last year and hence skewed the number of centuries of both types
higher.

My off-road rides depend on which trails I take - South , East or North. As
I am in the south end the South is the shortest [and flattest] at ~20 km.
East is ~30 km. North is ~40 km, the steepest and furthest from home. Actual
ride length varies depending on the specific trails I take.

> Utility rides are whatever is required - though Guelph proper is little
> more than - oh - I'd say 12 km from end to furthest end.

Actually much of what I need for 'utility' is even too close for cycling -
more walking distance. The vast majority of utility rides are commutes.

Also summer is the time for city surveys - usually at night - that are
neither trail rides nor proper road loops but meanderings up and down city
streets that would otherwise be little travelled by me. These are mostly in
response to high heat/humidity/air quality advisory days when night riding
is the most prudent option. They are usually no more than an hour or three
in duration.

--
'Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone' -the doors

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike
> are you...

Commuting 80%
Other Utility 5%
Recreational (includes everything not included above)15%

No racing
No touring in the last several years, alas.
I never ride in groups. Other cyclists scare me. <g>

RichC

> Just sort of curious...what percentage of your time or miles on the bike
> are you...
>
> Participating in some sort of one-day event? (century, charity ride,
> etc.), 5%, maybe 10% at most

> Pure recreational riding, either alone, with friends, or on a club ride?
> 95%

(also includes health reasons)