What should I eat? Making a cycling diet...

Jace1283

Sep 3, 2006
i live near a state forest and have been biking off/on for a while and got a road bike last year. I've been riding a lot and would like to continue doing so and eventually do some races. I'm trying to figure out what i should eat and make a nice diet plan to follow.
My fitness
I ride for like 30-40 mins in the state forest and on my road bike i've only done 10 miles in 33 minutes without pushing real hard and i think i could have done the loop again no problem. I don't know my limit on a bike. I'm working on a good route since my area is somewhat busy and roads not so good in places. I take advantage of vacations spots like hill climbing in the catskills, NY and NH later this summer.
My body
I'm 6'2" and weigh 133 lbs(aerodynamic). This puts me in a different situation than many i think because rather than losing weight i need to gain it and build strength and eat more. I'm a very fast runner and my strength surprises for my size.
Strength training with weights
I think thats what i need to do because i did it for track and it helps a lot, i'm surprised to hear people say to not strength train with weights? I was at 145 with weights before stopping.
Diet
I can't gain weight by eating alone. Right now i eat cereal in the morning, a snack like crackers or danish. Subway for lunch. Random stuff for snack, toast, jelly, peanut butter. Dinner is always different but usually a lot of food.
So my questions are what should i be eating and how much calories should i be taking in? When should i eat? What foods are great to eat and which are bad? Should i weight train?

I'm starting out basically with a decent base level of fitness and one of my family members gave me a book a little while back that has a training plan in it. I need some help with what to eat though and any other thoughts you can help me with with the info above. Thanks a lot.

I have a lemond alpe d'huez, my riding clothes are coming and from what i've read it looks like i need to get clipless pedals.

Jace1283 said:
i live near a state forest and have been biking off/on for a while and got a road bike last year. I've been riding a lot and would like to continue doing so and eventually do some races. I'm trying to figure out what i should eat and make a nice diet plan to follow.
My fitness
I ride for like 30-40 mins in the state forest and on my road bike i've only done 10 miles in 33 minutes without pushing real hard and i think i could have done the loop again no problem. I don't know my limit on a bike. I'm working on a good route since my area is somewhat busy and roads not so good in places. I take advantage of vacations spots like hill climbing in the catskills, NY and NH later this summer.
My body
I'm 6'2" and weigh 133 lbs(aerodynamic). This puts me in a different situation than many i think because rather than losing weight i need to gain it and build strength and eat more. I'm a very fast runner and my strength surprises for my size.
Strength training with weights
I think thats what i need to do because i did it for track and it helps a lot, i'm surprised to hear people say to not strength train with weights? I was at 145 with weights before stopping.
Diet
I can't gain weight by eating alone. Right now i eat cereal in the morning, a snack like crackers or danish. Subway for lunch. Random stuff for snack, toast, jelly, peanut butter. Dinner is always different but usually a lot of food.
So my questions are what should i be eating and how much calories should i be taking in? When should i eat? What foods are great to eat and which are bad? Should i weight train?

I'm starting out basically with a decent base level of fitness and one of my family members gave me a book a little while back that has a training plan in it. I need some help with what to eat though and any other thoughts you can help me with with the info above. Thanks a lot.

I have a lemond alpe d'huez, my riding clothes are coming and from what i've read it looks like i need to get clipless pedals.
Please read the thread started by myself called "How can i stop losing weight while cycling?" as like yourself i wanted to know what i could do to become stronger and fitter on the bike whie also looking to improve the quality of the nutirition that i consume.
Hope it helps

NomadVW said:
Aerodynamic? Sounds like anorexic!
thanks so much, haha. yeah i think i've been asked that once or twice that i can remember. Its weird though, i'm very fast and also can hit the softball farther and harder than anyone else on my softball team. At school i can get bolts loose that guys much bigger than me can't. Everyone i meet who is my size is usually quite weaker. When i was at college i ate food without limit as thats what my food plan was. I was also doing track and working out and like i said i was 145. I'm not wide so that makes a difference and i'm skinny, no fat obviously. Just in case, i'm gonna find some more scales...

Do you guys eat bagels?

This is going to be mentally tough for many of you as you are use to believing that you MUST eat before you ride and "top off your tanks". You must have faith in your physiology that your body was designed to actually thrive on LESS, not more!
You have MORE THAN ENOUGH energy in the form of stored body-fat to keep you pedaling for days. YES, you need stored energy from glycogen to use this fat, but you can only hold so much. You are responsible for getting this glycogen stored with high quaility foods you eat AFTER YOUR RIDE and in your regular meals!
You light a fire (your metabolism) and you start adding oxygen and stored fuel and it begins to burn hot right? Now, imagine taking a big bucket of water and throwing it on top. It smothers and burns out! THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING WHEN YOU EAT A BIG MEAL RIGHT BEFORE YOU RIDE!!
so forget the weat O Bix in the morning... dont eat any carbohydrates 14hours prior to the ride(starve urself of carbohydrate food 14hours prior, eg. ceral, bread, cake.)
instead eat salad, fruit, ham/meats. beans.
when you feel like your gasping for a carbohydrate rich food, then eat it straight after youve cycled, top up your body after the ride, then if your cycling the next day dont eat 14hours prior.
Trust me. It works!, when i mean starve, i mean let your body burn it's own body fat (which in turn causes you to release glucos/burn glucos more efficiently) making you able to cycle more efficiently -instantly, and lose weight. leaving yourself with just muscle, no excess wieght.
Remember top your body up with whatever you want After the cycle,
not before!.
any further questions contact me via email at - [email protected]
thanks for your time, Good luck cycling, go tour de France!

michaelbaker said:
14hours prior to the ride(starve urself of carbohydrate food 14hours prior, eg. ceral, bread, cake.)
instead eat salad, fruit, ham/meats. beans.
Umm... i might be wrong, but aren't fruits and salads carbs?

Lesse... large apple, 19g carbs, and little else
Lesse... larg peach, 17.4g carbs... little else
3 cups lettuce? 3.9g carbs, 2.1g protein
Large cucumber... 7g carbs, 1.6g protein

I wouldn't recommend anyone take this advice (especially with such a blatant self contradiction) without some sort of science to back it up. It contradicts everything I've read, heard, been told, coached - all of it.