What sort of times and training should I aim for?

Mar 3, 2005
G'day guys, I've posted a few threads here lately regarding my start in track cycling and thank those who helped. I've had a couple of serious training sessions now and absolutely love it. Anyone reading and thinking about getting into the track I say just go fot it.

I'm now wondering what sort of times I should be looking for so I can identify my strengths and train for the appropriate events. Unfortunately I don't have much to go on so far and most of the results I've been able to find on the net have been for elite riders. Most of the guys at training are at a pretty high level so it's difficult to judge what I "should" aim for based on their performance. I just try as hard as I can and hope for the best :)

I'm 43 years old (male) so race in Australia as MMAS3. Unfortunately I don't have any flying 200m times but a few standing 250m, the best has been 21:92. I feel I'm better at the shorter efforts but tried a flying 500m and blew up spectacularly on the second lap (I was introduced into a whole new world of pain I never knew on the road. Thanks guys!) That time was a pretty miserable (the mind was willing, but the body...) 17:86/20:10. I've been asked when I will start racing but don't want to go out until I can at least compete and not just circulate.

For somebody of my vintage, racing, say C grade, what sort of times should I be looking at for flying 200m, standing 250m, flying 500m etc? I guess part 2 of the question is what sort of training would be best to improve my performance?

Thanks again for the help.

sorry i can't really answer your question regarding times.

but you are in about the same boat as me. after years of road racing, i took a plunge on the track this year. i've raced quite a during this season, and ultimately i've figured out my own strengths and weaknesses not only from the results of races but also how those races have finished.

for example i do well in more endurance style events, eliminations, point scores and scratch races. i'm about in the middle in pursuits and wheelraces and poor in short sprint style events.

ultimately for me i'm using it to improve my road racing, so i'm working on elements within that as far as training goes.

i suspect that you know where your strengths are starting to lean towards. you have the choice i guess of focussing on those strengths in order to compete at a higher level on the track, or focus on your weaknesses if like me you are maybe using the track for road training.

fwiw i'm in sydney as well maybe i'll bump into you at an event.

--brett

886014 said:
...I've been asked when I will start racing but don't want to go out until I can at least compete and not just circulate.....
Unless you're just planning on sprints, kilos and pursuits, times aren't all that important. Sure it would be great to go into racing knowing you're on par with the fast guys, but mass start events (which dominate most track racing) are about a lot more than pure TT speed. You can keep working your speed in isolation but the first time you get into a hotly contested miss and out or try to suss out the tactics in a points race that speed won't be as important as good pack awareness and track tactics.

Get out there and race in your category and you'll build speed, be able to gauge yourself in actual competition and maybe most importantly you'll learn how to race track events. Does your track offer beginners sessions or a day for lower category racing? If so, take advantage of them to build skills and to help you figure out your strengths.

Good luck,
-Dave

Spammers are low life scum. However they did do me a favour by bumping the thread. As it turned out, to finish the story, I got just one race in before the end of the season and it went very well. On the night I started in C grade and got a 3rd, 2nd, and first. The final race I took a gamble by trying to break away but nobody came with me and I didn't have the legs to do it by myself. Still I was happy for an absolute first timer and next time probably would have gone straight to B grade. Sadly now I'm off with a broken Clavicle, never mind. You guys were right though, times mean nothing and I can't wait to get back out there.

886014 said:
Sadly now I'm off with a broken Clavicle, never mind. You guys were right though, times mean nothing and I can't wait to get back out there.
How's the collar bone healing?

Any chance to race RAW Track this winter?

I'll probably do some RAW racing in 2nd half of series, until then I'll be commissaire.

Hey Alex, how's it going? Unfortunately no racing for me. I expected to come back from Italy seriously kicking butt, instead it was time off the bike (actually wasting time on an indoor trainer) and now pretty lousy fitness. Otherwise I would have done RAW this season for sure, indeed was really looking forward to it.

Apart from the fitness (or lack of), the main thing is the chance I'd fall in a race. Ok maybe it's a slim chance, but if I fell on that shoulder again while the plate is holding things together I'll be seriously screwed. Given the amount of time I needed to have off work (including paternity leave) I think it's not worth taking the risk.

As for the break, yeah it's healing fine. That's the good thing about bones ;) The soft tissue damage is another matter. That and the busted ribs (the buggers STILL hurt) remind me it was a hell of a hit.

Despite my above whining, it's really all good and I'm out on my road bike enjoying the "cool" air. I may try to get to RAW one night anyway just for a look and take my niece there to show her the track. She's just starting road cycling (but is a Finnish cross country skier) so you may even find her doing some laps in the future! Hope the turn out has been good for RAW and I'll try to catch you out there.

Pete