Team sprint times

vitiris

Jul 24, 2003
Just wanted to know what a good time would be for a 3 up team sprint on a 250 track, club riders on hired bikes. We were at Newport yesterday and did team sprints but no idea if time was good, bad or indifferent! All I know is my legs hurt today so having the day off (the bike)

vitiris said:
Just wanted to know what a good time would be for a 3 up team sprint on a 250 track, club riders on hired bikes. We were at Newport yesterday and did team sprints but no idea if time was good, bad or indifferent! All I know is my legs hurt today so having the day off (the bike)

A good time is waht you think is good for your level of fitness......go to the UCI homepage for the world records if you really want to scare yourself.

vitiris said:
If you can get under the minute, you are doing ok. At vets/womens sessions at Manchester, we usually just duck under 1 minute. Obviously, if the hire bikes at Newport are on 84" gearing like those at Manchester, you might be struggling just a little!

Keirin Girl ;)

Keirin Girl said:
If you can get under the minute, you are doing ok. At vets/womens sessions at Manchester, we usually just duck under 1 minute. Obviously, if the hire bikes at Newport are on 84" gearing like those at Manchester, you might be struggling just a little!

Keirin Girl ;)

I am not sure of the gearing but guess it is 82/84". We managed two back to back sessions of 59s starting from the top rail about 6/7 yds back. It was a first shot for all 3 of us, only second time on the track, and I found bombing round right behind someone else a little unsettling :eek: but then I'm not a road racer!

vitiris said:
I am not sure of the gearing but guess it is 82/84". We managed two back to back sessions of 59s starting from the top rail about 6/7 yds back. It was a first shot for all 3 of us, only second time on the track, and I found bombing round right behind someone else a little unsettling :eek: but then I'm not a road racer!
Hey, that's pretty good. With more practice, you will be able to sit a lot closer to the rider in front and this makes things considerably easier!

Have fun,
Keirin Girl

Keirin Girl said:
Hey, that's pretty good. With more practice, you will be able to sit a lot closer to the rider in front and this makes things considerably easier!

Have fun,
Keirin Girl
how long did it take you and over what distance, maybe you could work out your average speed for the entire distance to give you an idea of how good or bad it was.

/////////////////// Distance
Average Speed = ---------------------
/////////////////// Time

i seen riders at revolution at manchester doing an average of 35.? mph which was very fast and over in no time. I prefare 49x15 (88.2) to train on but 95.4 /119.3 if i want to do sprints unfortunately when i turn up at manchester they either feel that they are to big or 2 small.

maybe thats the disadvantage to fixed gears especially if they are rental bikes.

closesupport said:
how long did it take you and over what distance, maybe you could work out your average speed for the entire distance to give you an idea of how good or bad it was.

/////////////////// Distance
Average Speed = ---------------------
/////////////////// Time

i seen riders at revolution at manchester doing an average of 35.? mph which was very fast and over in no time. I prefare 49x15 (88.2) to train on but 95.4 /119.3 if i want to do sprints unfortunately when i turn up at manchester they either feel that they are to big or 2 small.

maybe thats the disadvantage to fixed gears especially if they are rental bikes.
The hire bikes at Manchester are on 84" gears, which is low by most people's standards. Most people seem to train on 86 or 88 inches and for general bunch type racing, gear up to 88 or 90 inches. For the sprint sessions, riders seem to start off on small gears and build up to mid 90 inch gears later in the session.
I have found that choosing the right gear is extremely difficult and is a case of trial and error. Last week I raced on 86" and won two races. This week I'm trying 88" and will probably come dead last!
Have fun,
Keirin Girl:)

Keirin Girl said:
The hire bikes at Manchester are on 84" gears, which is low by most people's standards. Most people seem to train on 86 or 88 inches and for general bunch type racing, gear up to 88 or 90 inches. For the sprint sessions, riders seem to start off on small gears and build up to mid 90 inch gears later in the session.
I have found that choosing the right gear is extremely difficult and is a case of trial and error. Last week I raced on 86" and won two races. This week I'm trying 88" and will probably come dead last!
Have fun,
Keirin Girl:)
At the minute i'm Spinning my way through 61 -110 and my only concern at the minute is maintaining 100rpm or more over 2.5 miles on hilly terrain when i can again complete this with ease i intend on moving onto the 52ring and hopefully when i can complete this i'll begin to concentrate on generating power. i can achieve 650watts and 37mph on flats and i hope when i have recovered some of my base fitness i will beable to maintain this over longer periods greater than the 3000feet / 1000metres that i'm doing at the minute.