what's up for summer

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Here's some of my plans, goals.

    at least 500 miles... I did 300 last summer and that was July and after. Balance skills... I really
    suck and these so I'm going to practice more. Trackstands, unweighting front wheel.

    Drag the hubby out more.

    Explore more trails in my area. Just got the Topo CD for Idaho... I think some acquaintances of mine
    have been working on clearing out the National Scenic trail along the NF of the CDA river, maybe go
    help with that some. Talk to my client who lives up near Lookout Pass and see if he'll show me the
    local rides.

    *maybe* do one of the local XC races...

    NORBA will be at Schweitzer this year. I'll be a course volunteer, marshall or something like that.

    Can't miss the AMB Idaho weekend. I"m planning on bringing women, so it won't be me and 6 guys. (
    non, none of them are single)

    penny

    Tags:

  2. This summer I plan to finally be given the job of 'junior mechanic' at my LBS. Then, with my
    new-found wealth I plan to buy a lot of weed, and get high. Im also going to Chamonix and Verbier
    with my mates and our bikes. On the way back home Im going through amsterdam :) and taking a long
    weekend in Edinburgh for the festival and to finish it off Im goin to the reading festival.

    Should be good all in all.

    Small Black Dog

  3. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Here's some of my plans, goals.
    >
    > at least 500 miles... I did 300 last summer and that was July and after. Balance skills... I
    > really suck and these so I'm going to practice more. Trackstands, unweighting front wheel.
    >
    > Drag the hubby out more.
    >
    > Explore more trails in my area. Just got the Topo CD for Idaho... I think some acquaintances of
    > mine have been working on clearing out the National Scenic trail along the NF of the CDA river,
    > maybe go help with that some. Talk to my client who lives up near Lookout Pass and see if he'll
    > show me the local rides.
    >
    > *maybe* do one of the local XC races...
    >
    > NORBA will be at Schweitzer this year. I'll be a course volunteer,
    marshall
    > or something like that.
    >
    > Can't miss the AMB Idaho weekend. I"m planning on bringing women, so it won't be me and 6 guys. (
    > non, none of them are single)
    >

    > penny

    I like it ... New Season Resolutions! Climb Skyview Trail without turning purple. Climb Havey Canyon
    trail without turning purple. Explore more parks farther from home. Was really lazy with driving
    last year. Take another skills clinic.

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > Here's some of my plans, goals.
    >
    > at least 500 miles... I did 300 last summer and that was July and after.

    I'm hoping to clock up at least that too. My computer stopped working after getting knocked around
    in the move, and to be honest, I'm not sure I can be bothered replacing it, so I won't know for
    sure. I'm just going to ride as much as possible, in as many diferent places as possible.

    Other plans: To work out the local area like the back of my hand so I can ride a lot of evenings.
    I'd like to do the Mega Avalanche Challenge in the Alps, but as of yet there's no date up, so I'm
    not sure on clashes with other holidays. I want to ride all the tracks around La Roche and
    Houffalize in the Ardennes. I've got a couple of weeks planned in the Massif Central of France and
    I'll be taking my bike, so looking forward to that. In about a month's time or so, I'll be down in
    Switzerland on business, so I'm going to try and blag in a weekend's riding. I want to hit up a few
    tracks in the Eifel region of Germany, including hopefully the world cup course. I'm considering
    spending maybe a weekend's riding in Heidelberg. Possibly purchase another steed. I've got some
    stuff that I want to do on the bmx, but I'll save the moderators from having to read it.

    Think that's about it :)

    Anyone know anything about the riding around Warsaw (Poland)?

  5. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    Do at least one, hopefully two, 24 Hour races.

    Make it to the AMB Idaho ride (I have family in Ketchum and have never been there in the summer).

    Not spend too much dinero on bike stuff, having blown my wad last year on new bike.

    With respect to the last resolution, have already ordered new Look 4 x 4 pedals @ $140, new Conti
    Explorer tires @ $80.00, and new SRAM PC-99 chain @ $30.00. Hopefully the rings and cassette won't
    have to be replaced before July. And am keeping old cables out of laziness to replace.

    --dt

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    news:[email protected]hlink.net...

    > > Here's some of my plans, goals.
    >
    > -Just got a job at my LBS as shop rat/bike assembler/massah-mechanic-in-training. -A bigass box of
    > badass parts for my FS and HT (including, finally, my
    Next
    > LP cranks...drool) should arrive tomorrow. Gotta put all my new stuff on, then get it all dirty.
    > -Will be attending many East Coast (of U.S.) races, writing articles for local mtb publications.
    > -Build my training course by the end of March, increase skills exponentially. -Not spend the whole
    > summer drunk at Ocean City, MD. -Try to get in some sport class XC events. Finish last, but
    > smiling. -Meet ladies with which I can have long walks on beach, candlelit dinners, discussions
    > about politics, philosophy, our future together. By this, I

    > -Finally go to a real college, start last phase of Operation: Bachelor's Degree.

    Mmmmmm..... Thrasher's (Freedom) Fries!

    Bill "spent many summers wholy drunk in Ocean City" S.

  7. Penny S. wrote:
    > Here's some of my plans, goals.
    >
    > at least 500 miles... I did 300 last summer and that was July and after. Balance skills... I
    > really suck and these so I'm going to practice more. Trackstands, unweighting front wheel.
    >
    > Drag the hubby out more.
    >
    > Explore more trails in my area. Just got the Topo CD for Idaho... I think some acquaintances of
    > mine have been working on clearing out the National Scenic trail along the NF of the CDA river,
    > maybe go help with that some. Talk to my client who lives up near Lookout Pass and see if he'll
    > show me the local rides.
    >
    > *maybe* do one of the local XC races...
    >
    > NORBA will be at Schweitzer this year. I'll be a course volunteer, marshall or something
    > like that.
    >
    > Can't miss the AMB Idaho weekend. I"m planning on bringing women, so it won't be me and 6 guys. (
    > non, none of them are single)
    >

    > penny

    Ride.

    Get faster, smoother, and in better shape.

    Get better at trials-ish stuff. I can trackstand for a while now, working on doing it sitting, can
    hop in a circle (but only one way), tailwhips (again, only one way), so I need to work on that.

    New bike :) Throw my new Shimano XT grouppo on there, and if i can afford disc wheels then I'll get
    my disc brakes on there too. Mmmmmm, new marzocchi marathon SL.... sweet.

    Enter a couple/few races this summer if I can get in shape by the end.

    Ride. A lot.

    Maybe ride the road bike the team is building up for me this summer a little (if my coach lets me
    take it home, since its a "team bike"... he probably will tho), to improve my cardiovascular system.

    Maybe get a job at the LBS.

    Ride some more.

    Jon Bond

  8. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > Here's some of my plans, goals.
    > >
    > > at least 500 miles... I did 300 last summer and that was July and after.
    >
    > I'm hoping to clock up at least that too.

    > I'd like to do the Mega Avalanche Challenge in the Alps,
    <snip>
    > In about a month's time or so, I'll be down in Switzerland on business, so I'm going to try and
    > blag in a weekend's riding.

    My single aim for this year is to finish the Grand Raid Christalp in Switzerland
    http://www.grand-raid-cristalp.ch/ - just beat the cut off times and ride the whole 85 miles and
    15,000ft of ascent.

    Build up to this to include South Downs Way in a Day (100miles and 10,000 ft) and Iron Lemming (132
    miles 14,000ft over 2 days) in June.

    Russ

  9. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    > Here's some of my plans, goals.
    >
    > at least 500 miles... I did 300 last summer and that was July and after. Balance skills... I
    > really suck and these so I'm going to practice more. Trackstands, unweighting front wheel.
    >
    > Drag the hubby out more.
    >
    > Explore more trails in my area. Just got the Topo CD for Idaho... I think some acquaintances of
    > mine have been working on clearing out the National Scenic trail along the NF of the CDA river,
    > maybe go help with that some. Talk to my client who lives up near Lookout Pass and see if he'll
    > show me the local rides.
    >
    > *maybe* do one of the local XC races...
    >
    > NORBA will be at Schweitzer this year. I'll be a course volunteer,
    marshall
    > or something like that.
    >
    > Can't miss the AMB Idaho weekend. I"m planning on bringing women, so it won't be me and 6 guys. (
    > non, none of them are single)
    >

    > penny

    Awesome! Love it.

    My goals are to get a group (weekend) ride at Tahoe, and another (or two) at Downieville. Last years
    rides at both were so much fun!

    Aiming for one race per month (starting last month).

    Head to Elco, NV and ride the mountains there (Erin's grandparents live there).

    Make a trip to the midwest for some riding early this Spring.

    Gonna try and get Erin out on the trails more as well.

    And of course, gotta get in some backpacking. I'm hoping to get Erin to hike the Merced Loop with me
    (5-7 days, Yosemite and Inyo).

    Are you still planning on coming to the CA Bay Area? I'm still trying to find a small frame bike for
    you to use. I may have found one.
    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  10. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I like it ... New Season Resolutions! Climb Skyview Trail without turning purple. Climb Havey
    > Canyon trail without turning purple. Explore more parks farther from home. Was really lazy with
    > driving last year. Take another skills clinic.

    Hey Cinder Girl,

    Some friends and I are riding tonight. Meeting at Redwood Park, at the Skyline Gate. 6.30pm, if
    you'd like to join us. Looking at 15-20 miles of mixed singletrack and fireroad. :) (Bring lights.)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    russell pinder wrote:

    > My single aim for this year is to finish the Grand Raid Christalp in Switzerland
    > http://www.grand-raid-cristalp.ch/ - just beat the cut off times and ride the whole 85 miles and
    > 15,000ft of ascent.

    I looked at that and then read http://buster.co.uk/Mountainbike/Christalp.htm - I'm not a natural
    XC rider and I just can't see myself dealing with that sort of pain or training. Good luck to you.
    You nutter...

    > Build up to this to include South Downs Way in a Day (100miles and 10,000 ft)

    Is that the Croydon to Brighton ride I read about on Bikemagic?

  12. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > I like it ... New Season Resolutions! Climb Skyview Trail without turning purple. Climb Havey
    > > Canyon trail without turning purple. Explore more parks farther from home. Was really lazy with
    > > driving last year. Take another skills clinic.
    > >

    > Hey Cinder Girl,
    >
    > Some friends and I are riding tonight. Meeting at Redwood Park, at the Skyline Gate. 6.30pm, if
    > you'd like to join us. Looking at 15-20 miles of mixed singletrack and fireroad. :) (Bring
    > lights.)
    >
    > --
    >
    > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    > --

    I don't have any lights! Maybe I'll get some next year. Got a whole list of crap I want and I gotta
    buy it one thing at a time ;) As soon as the days get long enough I'll be riding after work again
    and I'll be looking forward to meeting you guys. Should have included meet more local mtn bikers on
    my goal list :)

  13. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > I like it ... New Season Resolutions! Climb Skyview Trail without turning purple. Climb Havey
    > > Canyon trail without turning purple. Explore more parks farther from home. Was really lazy with
    > > driving last year. Take another skills clinic.
    > >

    > Hey Cinder Girl,
    >
    > Some friends and I are riding tonight. Meeting at Redwood Park, at the Skyline Gate. 6.30pm, if
    > you'd like to join us. Looking at 15-20 miles of mixed singletrack and fireroad. :) (Bring
    > lights.)
    >
    > --
    >
    > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    > --

    Can someone who can't make it up Skyview without turning three shades of purple make it on one of
    your group rides?

  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > With respect to the last resolution, have already ordered new Look 4 x 4 pedals @ $140, ...etc.

    Keep us posted on the 4x4s. I'm an Eggbeater convert, and I've heard the 4x4s are a more solid
    pedal, especially the bearings (at least compared to the '02 model).

    I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with them , once you've got a few hundred
    miles on 'em.

    Chris

  15. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Mmmmmm..... Thrasher's (Freedom) Fries!
    >
    > Bill "spent many summers wholy drunk in Ocean City" S.

    Damn straight. That's how you tell the local's (lined up at Thrasher's) from the tourists (lined up
    at Boardwalk Fries...idiots).

    I want to urban assault the Jolly Roger this year...probably not worth the OCPD confiscating my
    ride, though.

    Chris

  16. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Can someone who can't make it up Skyview without turning three shades of purple make it on one of
    > your group rides?

    Where's Skyview? (I'm thinking Tilden?) I'm less familiar with Tilden and WildCat Canyon then Lake
    Chabot/Redwood/Joaquin Miller, since I live just a few blocks from Lake Chabot, and 15 minutes from
    the other two.

    Tilden though, is very similar to Lake Chabot and Redwood Park... if that helps?

    Weeknight group rides vary, depending on who shows. No matter what though, we always wait for
    everyone at trail junctions, technical sections, tops of long (or steep) climbs, etc. :)

    Weekend rides are generally more advanced because of the terrain, but the range of rider skill level
    is usually pretty broad. We usually will split into smaller groups (leading group [fast pace],
    trailing group [slower pace], etc) and meet up at trail junctions, etc (like the evening rides).

    No one is ever forgotten or left behind. :)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  17. Mr Chris

    Mr Chris Guest

  18. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > russell pinder wrote:
    >
    > > My single aim for this year is to finish the Grand Raid Christalp in Switzerland
    > > http://www.grand-raid-cristalp.ch/ - just beat the cut off
    times
    > > and ride the whole 85 miles and 15,000ft of ascent.
    >
    > I looked at that and then read http://buster.co.uk/Mountainbike/Christalp.htm - I'm not a natural
    > XC rider and I just can't see myself dealing with that sort of pain or training. Good luck to you.
    > You nutter...
    >
    > > Build up to this to include South Downs Way in a Day (100miles and
    10,000
    > > ft)
    >
    > Is that the Croydon to Brighton ride I read about on Bikemagic?

    Not quite - South Downs Way is one of the National Trails
    http://www.nationaltrails.gov.uk/southdownsframeset.htm - starts in Winchester and Finishes at
    Beachy Head in Eastbourne.

    Riding it in a single day is one of the big mtb challenges available in England. We had a go last
    year and after about 8 hours and 70 miles one of the group broke a handlebar at speed on a DH and
    the attempt was abandoned while we took him to A&E to get checked out. It's now unfinished business
    -12 hours riding hopefully which should be a good indication of whether we've any chance of
    completing the cristalp. That 70 miles off road remains my longest to date although it took me over
    11 hours to do about 68 miles and 10,000 ft in Wales on day1 of the Iron Lemming in 2000 but the
    terrain is much harder there.

    The training is coming but it's slow progress (but quite a lot of fun!) - I tend to train by getting
    out on the trails but will probably have to start adding road miles in soon :-(

  19. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    FlyingCoyote wrote:
    > Are you still planning on coming to the CA Bay Area? I'm still trying to find a small frame bike
    > for you to use. I may have found one.

    Not if I can help it. Looks like the plans have changed. I hate going back there... biking would
    make it a whole lot better if I did go, tho.

    Penny

    > --
    >
    > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

  20. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Doug Taylor wrote:
    > Do at least one, hopefully two, 24 Hour races.
    >
    > Make it to the AMB Idaho ride (I have family in Ketchum and have never been there in the summer).

    oh, great.

    Just kidding.

    hot springs and single track... woohoo...

    penny