What's worse? SUVs or Cell Phones?

**** man, you're on a roll. Plonk Kevan too. He really IS a kook.
--
zk

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 04:34:06 -0500, <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And finally, the big award goes to none other than schickelgruber, who has been a really good sport
>and didn't mind having his clock cleaned, a new 1945 calendar with Jan Ullrich crashing a Porsche
>into a bar on the cover.

The bar really is that low now isn't it.
--
zk

On 7 Feb 2003 10:27:52 -0800, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

>> >I'd rate mobile phone sex as most distracting.

>> Zoot! You haven't shagged your cellphone have you? Tell me you haven't!

>Isn't that what "vibrate" mode is for?

Please! Not while I'm drinking tea at the keyboard!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:56:54 -0500, Peter Gardner <[email protected]> wrote:

>I fail to understand how squirting water at someone in a car could possibly be considered assault.

It's Common Assault, AIUI.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:56:54 -0500, <[email protected]>, Peter Gardner
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> > I could damage or destroy an inanimate object but if I squirted a driver with a water bottle it
>> > would be assault.
>>
>> Yes, that would be assault and you would deserve to be arrested.
>
>I fail to understand how squirting water at someone in a car could possibly be considered assault.
>I can kind of see how hitting a car might be considered such, but what possible harm could come to
>the car or the occupant from a little water?
>
>Peter
Yeah, I always carry a bottle of oven cleaner for squirting drivers.

It happened in Toronto as I recall but I can't find the reference now.
--
zk

Just zis Guy wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:58:00 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2725329.stm
>
> Has provoked considerable debate on the uk.rec.cycling. The consensus is that we should take the
> fat ******* and CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF, but that's just our normal British liberal wolliness coming
> to the fore.
>
> Here's a picture of said fat *******: <http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zrage.htm>

Well, I hope the cyclist will be able to sit on his B.17 again soon.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you
underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:03:59 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:43:28 GMT, <[email protected]>,
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote in message:
>>
>>>. Yes, it does make you amde when it happens, and a slapped car isn't neccessarily a kook
>>thing
>>> to do.
>>
>>Yes it is. It is kooky mentally unstable behavior, not normal, and does nothing but promote
>>hatred. If someone banged on my car, I will defend it as an attack on my personal property. Same
>>if someone banged on my bike, I would defend it as an attack.
>>
>**** man, you're on a roll. Plonk Kevan too. He really IS a kook.

I am?

What do I do that's so kooky?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I guess you guys got BIG MUSCLES from doing
too much STUDYING!

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:56:54 -0500, Peter Gardner <[email protected]> from University of Maryland
College Park wrote:

>> > I could damage or destroy an inanimate object but if I squirted a driver with a water bottle it
>> > would be assault.
>>
>> Yes, that would be assault and you would deserve to be arrested.
>
>I fail to understand how squirting water at someone in a car could possibly be considered assault.

One of those legalistic things. Assault has a specific legal definition.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My polyvinyl cowboy wallet was made in Hong
Kong by Montgomery Clift!

In article <[email protected]>, /dev/null wrote:

> One of those legalistic things. Assault has a specific legal definition.

istr == creating [reasonable] fear of imminent bodily harm. If we can extend that reasonableness to
squirting a car with a water bottle, then we should probably add sneers and dirty looks, and loud
excited utterances too.

.max We [the u.s.] are a nation of overweened, irredeemable gutless sissies. (no offense to real
sissies implied nor intented.)

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:39:19 GMT, <[email protected]>, max
<[email protected]> wrote:

>istr == creating [reasonable] fear of imminent bodily harm. If we can extend that reasonableness to
>squirting a car with a water bottle, then we should probably add sneers and dirty looks, and loud
>excited utterances too.

If those utterances are threatening bodily harm then I believe it's classified as assault.

And I feel that I must back down from my previous position. Smacking a car probably would be
regarded as assault.

What riles me most is the bias when reporting these incidents. Drivers, even the ones who are known
scumbags, are too often given the benefit of doubt.

http://www.ucolick.org/~de/AltTrans/justice/
--
zk

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:16:21 -0800, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I hope the cyclist will be able to sit on his B.17 again soon.

Heh! Well spotted. I didn't get past thinking "WHAT! He ran over a MERCIAN?!?!"

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

[email protected] wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in message:
>
> >. Yes, it does make you amde when it happens, and a slapped car isn't neccessarily a kook
> thing
> > to do.
>
> Yes it is. It is kooky mentally unstable behavior, not normal, and does nothing but promote
> hatred. If someone banged on my car, I will defend it as an attack on my personal property. Same
> if someone banged on my bike, I would defend it as an attack.

What justification do you have for calling the slap of a hand on a fender an attack? It does exactly
as much damage as a brief blast of a horn - that is, zero. It serves exactly the same function:
either a warning, or negative reinforcement for a stupid driving move.

It seems to me that we've had plenty of well-known posters, experienced riders all, who agree with
this view. OTOH, we have you - one anonymous poster. IOW, everybody's out of step except little
schikerbiker!

Personally, I think that if you lack the nerve to sign your name, it's not surprising that you lack
the nerve to defend your right to the road.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:01:44 -0600, <[email protected]>, ZwieBack
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>I am?
>
>What do I do that's so kooky?

Well, you admitted listening to Art Bell and making a perfectly good freewheeling ten-speed into a
single speed fixie!

The later is evidence of partially deranged behaviour for which you deserve pre-emptive therapy.
--
zk

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:eq%0a.14286$%[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 07 Feb 2003 02:06:09 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:
> >
> > >A quick rap with the knuckles on the side of a car is a good
> communication
> > >technique, it wakes up the driver and often makes them aware that the
> need to
> > >be more alert.
> >
> > Quite. If they were passing far enough for safety, you wouldn't be able to reach them in the
> > first place.
>

> Excellent point, Guy. A person would have to bring their auto within a few feet of my body in
> order for me to touch it. A couple of feet, given the disparity between the size, weight and
> potential for harm, is just too close. If I can touch them, I believe I should - with some force.

I have to agree, again. FWIW, though nobody seems to like this analogy, it is the same to me as if
someone waved a gun in my face. Whether they "meant it" or not, it's all the same to me.

Robin Hubert

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:08:51 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:01:44 -0600, <[email protected]>, ZwieBack
><[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>
>>I am?
>>
>>What do I do that's so kooky?
>
>Well, you admitted listening to Art Bell and making a perfectly good freewheeling ten-speed into a
>single speed fixie!

Art bell has retired, and my fixie project isn't complete yet for lack of wiferly approval on the
funding. I still listen to George Noory and drool over steel-framed beaters, though.

>The later is evidence of partially deranged behaviour for which you deserve pre-emptive therapy.

*ZZzzzzt!*

OUCH!

Stop that!

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Today, THREE WINOS from DETROIT sold me a
framed photo of TAB HUNTER before his MAKEOVER!

In article <[email protected]>,
Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just zis Guy wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:58:00 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2725329.stm
> >
> > Has provoked considerable debate on the uk.rec.cycling. The consensus is that we should take the
> > fat ******* and CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF, but that's just our normal British liberal wolliness coming
> > to the fore.
> >
> > Here's a picture of said fat *******: <http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zrage.htm>

Damn! Dude looks like Martin Short in Primetime Glick getup!

> Well, I hope the cyclist will be able to sit on his B.17 again soon.

Benjamin always notices the important details.

FWIW, I use a Selle Italia Nitrox, because it shaves precious grams off my 30 lbs.-with-rack
commuter-rig.

Other than that, I have little to say about this. I would have hoped he would have used the 200-yard
run-up to do some sober second thought. Instead, our man Kerwin's going to be off his bike for a
very long time, and his daughter may literally be scarred for life.

I'm thinking pedal-powered rehab might solve several of Baxter's problems.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:49:09 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I don't expect to be treated like traffic, I demand it.
>
> >Then act like traffic, obey all the laws including red lights, stop signs, and show courtesy.
>
> Well, now, let's be honest: to behave like *real* traffic you also have to park illegally,
> overtake illegally, break the speed limit and ensure that if you do hit someoene because you're
> too busy on the phone to look where you're going they are seriously injured or die.

Hm... I find the first pleasantly difficult (though there is a rule about bringing my bike inside my
office...), the second I do occasionally when traffic is stopped and the gutter is clearer than the
left side of the lane, and the third I do routinely on Clarke hill. The evidence is in my cycle
computer, officer.

Still working on #4...that one could be tricky.

Cycling and dangerous,

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
: On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 18:10:37 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

:>>In fact, if a bicyclist ever started to pound on the trunk of a car, the driver has every right
:>>to pound on the bicyclist as far as I am concerned.

:>And as far as the law is concerned they'd have every reason to get themselves arrested for
:>assault.

: In the UK the law allows the cyclist to strike the vehicle if the cyclist's safety is threatened
: and he judges that this is the best way to attract the driver's attention.

I think UK law has stated explicitly what other juridictions leave to be determined implicitly by a
court if it comes to that.

Assault isn't just a matter of objective events but intent.

Example:

1] Myself and Guy are getting in each other's face [most likely over bicycles] outside of a bar. I,
gesturing drunkenly no doubt, poke him in the shoulder with my finger. I have committed an
assault. Whatever our verbal utterances my physical contact trumps verbal assault and
constitutes a physical assault.

2] Me and Guy outside the bar again but this time I notice he dropped one of his gloves. I tap him
on the shoulder to get his attention and point out his dropped glove. The exact same physical
act but it can not in any way be considered an assault.

Now transfer my example to auto versus cyclist and you can all determine the difference between:

3] Joe 'Roadrage' Cyclist is pounding on the hood of a car screaming at the driver calling him/her
a miserable so and so.

and

4] John 'Serenity now' Biker thumps the hood of an auto to get the drivers attention and make eye
contact to ensure the driver is aware of the cyclist's presence.

In case 1 it is reasonable to believe the driver had a reasonable fear of harm. In case 2,
not so much.

Courts, surprisingly enough, usually are able to see the difference.

--
'People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time All day long I think of things
but nothing seems to satisfy' 'Make a joke and I will sigh And you will laugh and I will

On 8 Feb 2003 15:23:33 GMT, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> wrote:

>: In the UK the law allows the cyclist to strike the vehicle if the cyclist's safety is threatened
>: and he judges that this is the best way to attract the driver's attention.

> I think UK law has stated explicitly what other juridictions leave to be determined implicitly by
> a court if it comes to that.

To be fair it's probably case law - in other words, the judiciary over time have established a
precedent.

> Assault isn't just a matter of objective events but intent.

> 1] Myself and Guy are getting in each other's face [most likely over bicycles] outside of a bar.
> I, gesturing drunkenly no doubt, poke him in the shoulder with my finger. I have committed an
> assault.

Why you wanna do that? You're my best mate you are, I love you man - you wanna nother beer? [hic]

> Courts, surprisingly enough, usually are able to see the difference.

And drivers, not surprisingly, are inclined to fly into a self-righteous rage when their precious
penis extension is threatened merely because their carelessness has almost added another one to the
annual death toll inflicted by drivers of the motor car :-(

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.