Where are you from,what do you do?

[lang=es]my name is daniel, and im from scarborough ontario. im riding a specialized allez. i currently work at home depot, and i just wanted to say hello to the biking world.[/lang]

Hi, Tom here from Bradenton Florida and I'm an IT guy. I have been riding for over 30 years now.

Have several bikes, but my main 2 right now are a Lemond l'Alpe d'Huez and a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket.

Hi,

I am an accountant based in Philadelphia. Love to work out and ride in warm weather. Not an all season warrier yet.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric and I am from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. I enjoy both mountain bike and road cycling for recreation and fitness. I am considering entering my first road and mountain bike race this year, but I will see how base training goes this winter.

Hope to chat with some of you.

Eric

Eric38 said:
Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric and I am from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. I enjoy both mountain bike and road cycling for recreation and fitness. I am considering entering my first road and mountain bike race this year, but I will see how base training goes this winter.

Eric

Do you ride the road year round? If not, how long does the road season last up there?

Eric38 said:
Hello Everyone,

Eric

You should be inside watching the Wheat Kings!

alienator said:
Where is Okanagan Valley, BC?

The Okanagan Valley in South Central British Columbia.

The same valley that is called the Okonogan in Washington State.

A series of lakes and rivers between two mountain ranges that run north/south.

Mountain desert, lots of water so lots of agriculture and wine growing.

Great cycling.

alienator said:
Do you ride the road year round? If not, how long does the road season last up there?

Hey there,

Usually if motivated enough I can start getting out on the road in May and if the weather is good still be out there in October. The last couple of years I pull the old mountain bike out and do some riding early April. Right now I am on the trainer and trying to do about 6 to 7 hours a week. Being a slight bigger than most cyclist I have to work alot harder, but it is fun. If the weather warms up a bit this weekend I may put different tires on the old mountain and go for a 20km ride for something different.

Eric

toomanybikes said:
The Okanagan Valley in South Central British Columbia.

The same valley that is called the Okonogan in Washington State.

A series of lakes and rivers between two mountain ranges that run north/south.

Mountain desert, lots of water so lots of agriculture and wine growing.

Great cycling.

I have to admit, it was dark when I drove from Lake Louise/Banff to Vancouver, so I don't know what I missed. However, right now my favorite place on Earth is Mt. Robson Prov. Park. I've been there twice to solo Mt. Robson (failed twice, thank you), and there's not a damned thing I don't love about that part of the Earth.

Indulge me for a moment:

Hi
My Name Is Craig
I own my own Golf Business and Live in the United Kingdom.

I ride with Southport Cycling Club in the North Of England.

I like to ride Cyclosportives and my biggest cycling achievement was completing the Raid Pyrenean in 2005,714km,19 cols in 100hrs.

alienator said:
I have to admit, it was dark when I drove from Lake Louise/Banff to Vancouver, so I don't know what I missed. However, right now my favorite place on Earth is Mt. Robson Prov. Park. I've been there twice to solo Mt. Robson (failed twice, thank you), and there's not a damned thing I don't love about that part of the Earth.

Indulge me for a moment:

Lake Louise is about a 5 hour drive for me, and a part of the world I like to go to frequently for the riding and hiking.

The whole stretch of the Rockies from Jasper all the way down through Mt. Robson - the Columbia Icefields, Lake Luoise, Banff, Radium, Golden etc

I often think that if I never saw another part of the world, other than that I woul still die happy.

and then I go south and get into the mountains in Arizona and think how beautiful they are.

They are, but very different.

toomanybikes said:
I often think that if I never saw another part of the world, other than that I woul still die happy.

and then I go south and get into the mountains in Arizona and think how beautiful they are.

They are, but very different.

'Tis true. The mountains in Arizona have their own allure. Still, I get a randy feeling in my loins anytime I'm in a landscape with hanging glaciers, crevasses, ice and rock faces several thousand feet tall, and cold. You know you're having a good time when chunks of ice adorn your ropes.

I live in Jackson, Wyoming and like to cross country mountain bike. We do have epic downhill trails on Teton Pass, but i still prefer good old cross country riding, maybe even bring a 4-piece fly rod and slay some trout in a river in the afternoon. Not a hard core biker, but love the mountains, especially skiing, which is why I moved here. It is pretty fun to bike through the same mountains in the summer as you ski in the winter. ****, I am sounding like a nature boy. Did I mention I know how to play coombiyah on my acoustic guitar?:)

Good evening all,

My name's Matt and I live and work in the south of England, just outside of Brighton. Im a skateboarder with an affinity for travel and Im looking to buy a bike so that I can explore Europe's cities, skateparks and other miscellaneous nonsense that catches my eye.

Ive joined this forum to hopefully get some tips and inspiration regarding my semi-planned summer ride... Incase you couldn't tell Im new to cycling and don't want to get 'taken for a ride' (sorry) when it comes to buying my setup, as I'll need a fair amount of kit by the sounds of it (new bike, panniers, tools & spares etc...) So brace yourselves, as here comes the first wave of newbie-questions

1. First things first, where to buy my bike?
Sounds like a simple question, but I don't want to give my money to some jazzy soulless cycle megastore, I'd rather support a shop run by folks who know what they're on about and are happy to help out a beginner... So where should I go in and around the Brighton area?

2. Whats the best bike available on my budget?
By the sounds of it a hardtail mountainbike is going to best suit my needs. Im not sure if Im being too optimistic but Im not looking to spend more than £300-£400 on a good quality bike... Any suggestions welcomed

3. Panniers... Help?
Im planning on packing light, well as light as is possible whilst still carrying my board, a tent, minimal clothing, you get the picture... Which brand / style of panniers would you consider to be the most spacious, affordable and practical? How much should I be looking to spend on them?

I'll chill out now and stop the questions...

Any answers to the above would be greatly appreciated, aswell as any other wise words for beginners, cautionary tales, do's and don'ts and personal tour stories.

Peace

p.s. Apologies for my first post being more of an essay than a quick 'hello'

I am a 27 year old cycling enthusiast with renewed enthusiasm. I started riding in 2000 and at my peak logged ~250 miles a week. However, 2007 was a bad year for training. I completed a bachelors degree in Mechanical engineering, got married, had a baby boy, and topped it off with appendicits and an 8 day stint in the hospital. Needless to say I didn't find time to get on the bike and then couldn't for health reasons.

I've been on the go since then with two moves, another baby (girl), and working on a career. After all that 2010 looks to be more laid back. I am now more settled and determined to start logging real miles (outside) when the weather warms up.

This year I've vowed to loose the 15 pounds I've gained since 2007 and get back out on the bike with good company on the roads here in Charlotte, NC. Until that point I am riding on my new fluid trainer and hoping to get my fix in these forums.

Nice to have found a new home for a while. Happy hump day to you all.

[lang=it]Hello everybody , I am italian and my name is Vincenzo and I am an engineer. My target is to enlarge my point of view on the bicycle matter discussing with other friends.[/lang]