Where can I sell my bike?

Gabe

Guest
Bikes for sale on ebay are not getting any bids and bicycke trader is expensive
+ there's no way to tell if anyone is buying bikes off of that site. I need to sell my bike and
would like to know if/where anyone else has sold theirs lately. Thanks! GABE
mail4gabe@yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!.com

Originally posted by Gabe
Bikes for sale on ebay are not getting any bids and bicycke trader is expensive
+ there's no way to tell if anyone is buying bikes off of that site. I need to sell my bike and
would like to know if/where anyone else has sold theirs lately. Thanks! GABE
mail4gabe@yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!.com

I've used this site with good results!

http://www.cyclery.com/classifieds/index_html

"Gabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Bikes for sale on ebay are not getting any bids and bicycke trader is
expensive
: + there's no way to tell if anyone is buying bikes off of that site. I
need to
: sell my bike and would like to know if/where anyone else has sold theirs lately. Thanks! GABE
: mail4gabe@yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!.com

Try local bike swaps?

Local clubs and bike shops (and internet searching) may get you more details on where to find them
and what to do.

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

On 22 Nov 2003 21:23:48 GMT, [email protected] (Gabe) wrote:

>Bikes for sale on ebay are not getting any bids

bzzzt! Wrongo!

I just looked a eBay and plenty of bikes are getting bids. In fact, I just sold a 2002 Litespeed
Ghisallo for $3905 on eBay last week. Check the "ending today listings" to see plenty of bikes
with bids.

Bikes that aren't getting bids are typically listed poorly. I started the Ghisallo at $10, with a
$3800 reserve. If I listed it at $3800, I guarantee it would not have sold, as I doubt someone would
have dropped an opening bid that high.

For example, a used bike that was $800 new last year with a starting bid of $750? Come on! No wonder
it's not getting bids. A used bicycle is rarely worth more than 50% of it's average new price,
unless it's something really special or collectible. To have decent resale value, a noncollectible,
mass-produced bike needs to be current technology, look good, and fit the willing buyer.

Mountain bikes can be even worse for resale value, due to tech changes in forks, brakes, headsets,
etc... For instance, a mass-produced (Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, you get the idea), early 90's
full-rigid hardtail that went for $900 new _might_ be worth $100 now. It's only value is as a
commuter or old-school singlespeed candidate, and it _is_ 10 years old. <G>

What are you selling and how much do you think it's worth? Let's see what the group thinks about it.

Barry

"Gabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bikes for sale on ebay are not getting any bids and bicycke trader is
expensive
> + there's no way to tell if anyone is buying bikes off of that site. I
need to
> sell my bike and would like to know if/where anyone else has sold theirs lately. Thanks! GABE
> mail4gabe@yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!.com

I've sold bikes on mtbr.com with pretty good results. It's cheap to post too. Just remember with
their classified format you start high and then make you lower offers (that's how it usually works).
I just expect to get lower offers or offer to include some stuff not listed when negotiating.

I listed my S-Works M-4 hard tail frameset on eBay and mtbr. In three days I had no bids ($200
starting) at eBay and had several offers on mtbr and ended up selling it for $265 with a headset and
crankset included (for a little extra cash).

Matt

I don't where you live but here in San Francisco Bay Area, we have this place called
www.craigslist.com and there you'll see local bikes for sale from beater to high end, new and used,
you can even post a want ad.

All transaction are between you and the potential buyers. There's no listing fee, you're posting
under anonymous email, and often buyers pick up since we're all locals here.

You might want to check if you happen to live in one of the metropolis area this craigslist covers.
Although prices are not as high as what you'll get on ebay, at least you don't have to worry about
shipping and payment are always cash (or trade).

"Gabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bikes for sale on ebay are not getting any bids and bicycke trader is
expensive
> + there's no way to tell if anyone is buying bikes off of that site. I
need to
> sell my bike and would like to know if/where anyone else has sold theirs lately. Thanks! GABE
> mail4gabe@yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!.com

Thanks, guys for all the info -- I'm going to try Craig's List and look for a local bike swap but if
anyone has an idea on how to compose a good ebay ad, that'd be great. In the meanwhile, what is a
good price for a small '99 Specialized FSR XC which I put $1500 into? It's silver w/ grey kendas
(and new,spare Specialized tires), _full_ XT including rear cassette (not stock), chrome azonic
stem, new (uncut) matching grey Ritchey Rizer bars and seatpost (uncut), salsa brake boosters and
clear-colored Bike computer. I know it's literally not worth the $3000 I've spent on it, but I'd
like to get back as much as possible for it and won't sell it if it looks like it's worth more to me
than anyone else - and I'm guessing that's the case. BTW, the grey kendas look really sweet on my
silver/grey/chrome bike but aren't worth **** if you're not riding hardpack. (I got them on
clearance for $5 each.) Bike has some scratches and extra stickers on it, but no dents or rust. Oh
and the WTB SST 98 seat is scraped all to hell. -GABE- mail4gabe@yahoooooooooooooooooo! DOT COM

On 23 Nov 2003 08:51:06 GMT, [email protected] (Gabe) wrote:

>Thanks, guys for all the info -- I'm going to try Craig's List and look for a local bike swap but
>if anyone has an idea on how to compose a good ebay ad, that'd be great. In the meanwhile, what is
>a good price for a small '99 Specialized FSR XC which I put $1500 into? It's silver w/ grey kendas
>(and new,spare Specialized tires), _full_ XT including rear cassette (not stock), chrome azonic
>stem, new (uncut) matching grey Ritchey Rizer bars and seatpost (uncut), salsa brake boosters and
>clear-colored Bike computer.

Our shop recently sold nearly the same used bike for $700, without the spare tires or computer.

Barry

[email protected] (Gabe) wrote:
> Thanks, guys for all the info -- I'm going to try Craig's List and look for a local bike swap but
> if anyone has an idea on how to compose a good ebay ad, that'd be great.

I have only had one failed attempt to sell on eBay, so I'm not an expert, but here's some of what
I learned:

-have all your decisions made before you set up your ad, especially relating to what price you think
you can reasonably get. -choose your opening bid price carefully. -try to avoid settting a reserve.
It's costly, and people are less likely to bid if they see "reserve not met". I blew my attempt on
eBay by setting a reserve that was not only higher than my rock bottom price, but just too damn high
period. By the time I realized that, it was too late to change it. -be patient--from what I've seen
most of the bidding will happen in the last hours of the auction. People who use eBay are playing a
poker game. They make note of the auction close for items that they want and come back to play their
hand at the bell, not 20 minutes after you post your item.

> In the meanwhile, what is a good price for a small '99 Specialized FSR XC which I put $1500 into?

Generally, figure about half of what you paid for the bike, before "upgrades". Unless some of your
upgrade items are blue chip, like Chris King stuff, Fox or Marzocchi, a Mavic wheelset, etc. For
each of those blue chip things, add in about half of what they cost. Maybe.

It can be worthwhile in *some* situations where you have lots of really blue chip add-ons to break
up the bike and sell frame/fork and components separately. I don't think so in your case.

> I know it's literally not worth the $3000 I've spent on it, but I'd like to get back as much as
> possible for it and won't sell it if it looks like it's worth more to me than anyone else - and
> I'm guessing that's the case.

Never know til you get it out there. Take good pictures. Write a good and comprehensive description.

Don't forget rec.bicycles.marketplace as an ad venue. I've sold a bunch of stuff there. Also, mtbr
has classifieds that cost a little ($2 I think) but they get quite a bit of traffic. Also:

http://www.bikeride.com/classifieds/default.asp http://www.bicycleclassifieds.com/

both of which are free.

I'd advise you to take good pictures and post classifieds on all the bike classifieds sites you can
find, and on rec.bicycles.marketplace with a maybe somewhat aggressive price. And be sure to post
all the relavent info. Calling it a "small" frame is ****. Post specific info about sizing
(effective top tube, seat tube in c to c or c to t, etc.) Don't leave people guessing, or they'll
pass and look elsewhere.

See what kind of offers you get. Maybe you sell, maybe you find out a little more about what people
are willing to pay. Eventually use that info to start an auction on eBay. When you do that, update
all your classifieds with the URL to your eBay auction. Maybe email anyone who ever wrote to you
asking about the bike with the eBay link as well.

Be patient. Tell yourself it might take a month. Patient people get more $$ for their stuff.

Good luck.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/ Salida, CO

On 23 Nov 2003 06:20:28 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Purvis) wrote:

>Generally, figure about half of what you paid for the bike, before "upgrades". Unless some of your
>upgrade items are blue chip, like Chris King stuff, Fox or Marzocchi, a Mavic wheelset, etc. For
>each of those blue chip things, add in about half of what they cost. Maybe.

Not to mention that the bike came with "stuff". Upgrading an LX bike to XT _may_ return 1/2 of the
DIFFERENCE in cost between XT and LX. The used buyer isn't getting BOTH groups, only the group
currently installed on the bike. The fact that lower level bikes often come with lower quality
forks, wheels, and occasionally rear shocks, should also be considered.

Also, a 4-5 year old mountain bike is almost expected to have upgraded parts. Any mountain bike
that actually gets ridden gets broken or worn out. The price difference between say, Deore to XT,
really isn't that great in the replacement part world, so riders often buy up when replacing worn
or broken parts.

Also, don't forget to compare the value with Specialized's current offerings and the average street
prices for them.

One plus for this particular sale is that the FSR is still considered "current" technology. A '99
I-Drive or Trek Y-bike would probably only fetch the used value of the parts, like maybe $300, if it
was all good parts. <G>

Try to remove any emotion from the sale. You may have had lots of good times with it, but in the end
it's still a used sporting good.

Barry