Where can one giveaway unwanted bikes?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Sorry, no Dogma's or CF here, droolsta's!!!

    Got 3 ol' clunkers. 2 of em i picked up in the hard rubbish collection to be used as beach holiday knockabouts but cant be bothered with the work involved. Also a kid's singlespeed with authentic dunnyroll manifold attached :D .

    does that 'CERES'(?) place or similar take deliveries :D

    any suggestions/contacts/etc welcome, or if any of you lot want some.
    Mr Soiler, surely you will have room in the new abode???

    Tags:

  2. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    maybe the salvos?

  3. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]

    http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/E/V/MELBO/0079/91/42/1.html

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  4. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Well I'm still looking for a small road frame with horizontal-ish dropouts to convert to a fixie if that describes one of 'em.

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Mr Soilers response from the lounge: No, sorry, no room at the inn, unless it's real gem. Just finished re-sorting the bike room, also must consider there's another pile of shitters under the taup down the side of house. Plus ms. cfsmtb's got another 4 in storage....

    Anyway - you should see our Xmas BMX lit up with coaxial lights in the loungeroom at present. **lovely**

  6. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Sorry, no Dogma's or CF here, droolsta's!!!
    >
    > Got 3 ol' clunkers. 2 of em i picked up in the hard rubbish collection
    > to be used as beach holiday knockabouts but cant be bothered with the
    > work involved. Also a kid's singlespeed with authentic dunnyroll
    > manifold attached :D .
    >
    > does that 'CERES'(?) place or similar take deliveries :D
    >
    > any suggestions/contacts/etc welcome, or if any of you lot want some.
    > Mr Soiler, surely you will have room in the new abode???
    > --
    > flyingdutch

    Not too keen on the bikes but if you have got any track wheels going free
    (or cheap) then give me a yell.......I have now scored another road bike
    frame (as well as the track frame) and I am planning on keeping the track
    bike as it is and not drilling the fork (ie to actually use it as a track
    bike) and building up the road frame into a fixie for commuting on as it
    already has a place for brakes, drink bottles, etc.

    My shed is starting to get a bit cluttered and might be even more so if I
    manage to pick up that big bulk package from ebay.......might have to have a
    "Crazy Gags" sale.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hah! thawt of doing that but Mrs FD thawt it might scare the little Dutchies :D

    FD- "Pass the dutchie on the left'and side, I sed..."

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]
    > Well I'm still looking for a small road frame with horizontal-ish
    > dropouts to convert to a fixie if that describes one of 'em.

    Wanna buy Vegemite?
    (I need funds for my world domination...)
    http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=73

    "i'm a recent convert to fixies and just found the fixed gear gallery site.
    your's is the top...a gem out of a simple cheap frame."
    - Erik

    "I saw your bike on fixedgeargallery.com i really like it."
    - Ethan

    "Truly a beautiful thing hippy. That front brake is surely the deepest of
    deep
    drop brakes and must of been hard to find. The bike is one of the best
    looking
    since 516
    P.S.personally I prefer marmite"
    - npjdash

    "Nice bike"
    - Chris

    hippy :)

  9. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Yes, CERES is always on the lookout for good oldies they can do up.

    Talk to Thorin (no, he hasn't got a beard :) )

    http://www.ceres.org.au/

    (03) 9387 2069

    M "reduce reuse recycle" H

  10. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Hippy tried to fool us all into forgetting that underneath all the grinder marks and dark-dark black paint on Vegemite, lies the heart and soul of a true Apollo.

    I've gotta admit to being pretty partial to #768, myself. But then, I've enhaled an awful lot of white Imron paint...

    Regards,

    Suzy

    PS: Voting is open for the best of 2004. There's even a category for best home-built frame.

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004contest/index.htm

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "suzyj" <[email protected]
    > Hippy tried to fool us all into forgetting that underneath all the
    > grinder marks and dark-dark black paint on Vegemite, lies the heart and
    > soul of a true Apollo.

    Spoil all my fun.. it's true identity appears in the gallery :)

    > I've gotta admit to being pretty partial to #768, myself. But then,
    > I've enhaled an awful lot of white Imron paint...
    >
    > PS: Voting is open for the best of 2004. There's even a category for
    > best home-built frame.
    > http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004contest/index.htm

    You got my vote for best home built and best grrls bike..

    Vote early! Vote often! (or something)

    hippy

  12. Grip

    Grip New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2004
    Flyingdutch, I'm sure you've mentioned "doug" from Cycle Science (big bearded bloke) as possibly your LBS (??????) If so talk to him as he's connected with a charity out in your neck of the woods that refurbishes bikes for those less lucky than us. He even conned a workstand out of us for them 2 years back, but I can't for the life of me remember what the organisation is.

  13. p_b_floyd

    p_b_floyd New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2004
    On a thinly related theme, I've upgraded from a perfectly good '03 Giant OCR3 which I'd like to give to some hard-up kid (in Sydney or the bush), maybe Aboriginal, who'd value it.

    Any ideas on how to go about this?

  14. Grip

    Grip New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2004
    Very generous thought, but out of interest is it a complete bike or frame only? To be honest if frame only you'd be causing the recipient more headaches than anything else.

    Also, because of the OCR's geo and thin tubing it MAY not be the best type of bike to be given as charity... it would probably be better suited to a more serious rider.

    Have you considered selling the Giant for as much as possible and either donating the cash to the charity of your choice OR using the cash specifically to buy a number of "more suitable" bikes (20" BMXers come to mind)

    Just a thought

  15. Huw

    Huw Guest

    Grip wrote:
    > p_b_floyd Wrote:
    >> On a thinly related theme, I've upgraded from a perfectly good '03
    >> Giant OCR3 which I'd like to give to some hard-up kid (in Sydney or
    >> the bush), maybe Aboriginal, who'd value it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to go about this?

    > Very generous thought, but out of interest is it a complete bike or
    > frame only? To be honest if frame only you'd be causing the recipient
    > more headaches than anything else.
    >
    > Also, because of the OCR's geo and thin tubing it MAY not be the best
    > type of bike to be given as charity... it would probably be better
    > suited to a more serious rider.
    >
    > Have you considered selling the Giant for as much as possible and
    > either donating the cash to the charity of your choice OR using the
    > cash specifically to buy a number of "more suitable" bikes (20" BMXers
    > come to mind)
    >
    > Just a thought

    Agreed. You could find a cycling club for disadvantaged kids, if there is such a thing. Otherwise convert the OCR in to something more useful to the non-bike aware. BMX sounds a good idea.

  16. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    p_b_floyd wrote:

    > On a thinly related theme, I've upgraded from a perfectly good '03
    > Giant OCR3 which I'd like to give to some hard-up kid (in Sydney or
    > the bush), maybe Aboriginal, who'd value it.

    > Any ideas on how to go about this?

    You could always just leave it locked up for a couple of days at UTS or Sydney Uni...

    Regards,

    Suzy

  17. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 at 05:47 GMT, suzyj (aka Bruce)

    > p_b_floyd wrote:
    >
    >> On a thinly related theme, I've upgraded from a perfectly good '03
    >> Giant OCR3 which I'd like to give to some hard-up kid (in Sydney or
    >> the bush), maybe Aboriginal, who'd value it.

    Pick me! Pick me! I live in the bush when I am not at work. I've even
    been there once in the past 2 years!

    Shhhh suzyj -- don't tell anyone we had champas on the catwalk of the
    AAT after midnight.

    >> Any ideas on how to go about this?

    > You could always just leave it locked up for a couple of days at UTS or
    > Sydney Uni...

    Bastards. Ever since then, I've made doubly sure the lock goes
    *through* the frame. Damn topological defects.

    I wish swinburne would hurry up and give us new access cards for the
    bike shed here. Why even disable it over the break? What, you think
    there's no-one coming in to work?

    C Code.
    C Code Run.
    Run, Code, RUN!
    PLEASE!!!! --unk

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    thankya!

    shall do.

  19. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Cynical . . .

    Some of those 'students' have got serious sensemilla habits they have to support! Cut them some slack!

    M"Someone nicked my roadie from Monash once. Scumbags. If I had my way they'd all have to shovel ROCKS for their Austudy!" H

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    the cynic in me tells me they were concerned ex-students still holding cards form last year could help themselves. No doubt the new cards will have new accesscodes and wont work with last years' :rolleyes: