Where to start?

ellenalesa

Mar 19, 2011
Back in 2002 or so I got a Trek hybrid. It wasn't fitted for me properly, but I didn't know that at the time. As I started riding more, I started noticing that I had to reach forward and I feel the weight in my hands/wrists.

I recently dropped it off at the bike shop (not where I bought it!) and they are going to see if they can get new handlebars/headset or something to make it work for now.

I want to get a bike that fits me properly. I've been reading some of the posts here and was wondering if there was a sticky or a link to info on what to look for in a bike.

I think I want a hybrid so I can go on paths if I need to. I want to spend as little money as possible. I wouldn't mind a used bike, as long as it fits. My intention is to ride, get in better shape, and then buy a better bike next year.

I have had more than one person tell me that a decent bike starts at about $1200. Is that really true? I'm pretty new to this. I rode several times a week back in 2002, averaged about 15 miles a day, and then life got busy. I don't need top of the line stuff, but I do want to get a decent bike.

I saw a post that said something about getting at least 105 level components. I have no idea what that means.

Can anyone recommend some resources so I can educate myself before I make another mistake?

Thanks.

Ellen

Where to start? Having just made my first big upgrade I can tell you there's lots to consider but ultimately you will be making a choice that really helps your motivation to get out and ride. A good LBS (local bike shop) can be a great tool for not only getting a bike but helping educate you on various options you have. $1200 for a decent bike....well? It really depends on what you target as THE bike for you. I found that the bike I really wanted/needed was going to be about $400 to $500 over my target budget. But I ponied up and so far it's been well worth it. I usually always end up mentioning to people the adoption method. What I mean is that so many people buy new bikes with the intention of biking and getting fit. What ends up happening with most of those bikes is that they end up collecting dust in someone's garage. Craigslist is a great adoption agency and many times with some due diligence you can find almost new bikes for hundreds less. The only problem then is getting one that fits. That's why buying from an LBS is a good way to go. Good luck on your adventure.

If you're spending 1200 dollars, you should be able to find a decent bike from the likes of Trek, Giant etc... Also consider the second hand market, you might be lucky and find something that's had little use for half its retail price.

ellan- your lbs is going to be your new best friend. sizing is muy importante . you can do most of your homework on your computer . since you already know what kind of riding you would like to do , now is a good time to explore the different bike manufactures . cannondale ,trek, giant, scott , felt etc . go to these sights , check out bikes, maybe even google a specific bike by its model number and this will typically bring up that bike and this way you can get an idea what they cost . I've noticed that you can find a really nice hybrid for the 1200.00 range. as far as components go 105 ( shimano ). I dont know if 105 is specific to road bikes only but this could be figured out easy enough with a phone call. now is a good time to start dropping in on your LBS's and begin building relationships and see what they have to offer you ( sizing/fitting , warrenty's,free tune up's etc ).also ask about 2010 models and maybe there will be a sizable discount to be had . keep us informed of your progress and of course your questions .

This was ripped from wikipedia

For 2010, road bicycle groupsets include:
  • Dura-Ace Di2 [7970] (10 speed electronic)
  • Dura-Ace [7900] (10 speed)
  • Dura-Ace Track [7700] (NJS-approved, which is a requirement of all bicycle components used in professional Keirin racing in Japan)
  • Ultegra [6700] (10 speed)
  • 105 [5700] (10 speed)
  • Tiagra [4500] (9 speed)
  • Sora [3400] (9 speed)
  • 2200 [2300] (8 speed)

SORA is an "easy riding" component group for a more casual sport-recreation road bike.
Shimano 105 makes "pro-level" technology more accessible to part time racers and fitness enthusiasts.