Which Power Bar?

James Godley

Jan 29, 2003
I've this 12 hour endurance ride to do..........

Quite simply "what's a good power bar"

(That I can actually buy in th UK!!!)

Take some Jellie Babies to munch on. Not had much luck with POWER BARS or CLIFF BARS myself, but have used SLIM FAST bars with good effect.

Make sure that you drink lots of water and don't make your energy drink too strong. Shity shorts for 10 hours is nasty (so a frend said once!).

You can't eat jelly babies if you're a vegetarian... which is a shame!

Fig rolls are good, as are some of the fruity/breakfast bars that you can buy. I like the Jordans ones. High Five energy bars are also very tasty too.

Try to avoid bars/gels/ etc that contain a lot of fructose though.

Ric

Good point about the Jellie Babies Ric! I used to live on them a few years ago and now I can't have any! Gutted.

They contain gelatine, which is a by product of animals -- it's glue made from bones.

Whilst jelly babies weren't a problem for me to give up (!), jelly tots are a reasonable alternative (not that i eat sweets or chocolate!). The bigger problem was giving up Fruitella which were my faves! Starburst just aren't as good!

Ric

Ric, I think we have sufficent fuel for a 'veggie bichin' thread!!

If you pick up the May issue of Triathlete Magazine (it's actually a double issue) all the bars, gels and drinks are discussed. It made it a lot easier for me to figure out what to eat and when. Good luck.

-Jim-

Will you let us know what you decide to use for the 12 hours? Will be interesting to see if it helps.

mmmmm food........
Of the energy bars, My personal favourites are the High 5 ones. You know the ones with the blue wrapper. They are chocolate and raisins. But they are very expensive so i stopped using them. As mentioned a very good alternative is the cereal bars. Kellogs make lovely mueslix bars. They go down well, as do special K bars.
One word of advice though. Be careful! You should try whatever food you decide on before you do the ride because you might feel some things give you stomach cramps. This is especially true if you are planning to push yourself. If youre just messing about then you might be ok. Make sure that you eat little amounts often to avoid gettin the knock. Bananas are good too....
Also, as for the sugars, jelly babies etc, you should maybe wait until the last 2 hours before gettin into those. But yeah they are nice!