Why aren't bikes allowed on freeways.???

"laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car

pulling
> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

Which is why, in a good many places, bikes are allowed on freeways.

New Jersey is odd, requiring a special licence to use freeways. I
have one. How many other readers of the newsgroup do?

Jeremy Parker

"laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car

pulling
> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

Which is why, in a good many places, bikes are allowed on freeways.

New Jersey is odd, requiring a special licence to use freeways. I
have one. How many other readers of the newsgroup do?

Jeremy Parker

Frank Krygowski replied to laura bush

> > I'd like to use a bike for city driving to the grocery or library

etc.
> > but i still think it's just too damn dangerous.

> You're wrong.

Well, neither you nor I have seen the way laura rides. Who knows,
the way laura does it might actually be dangerous.

If the statistics are biased by the laura bushes of the world, who
knows, for the rest of us, cycling might be even safer than we
thought.

I seem to recall that the statistics indicate that once one rides
1000 miles per year, each extra mile carries no additional risk
whatsoever

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:31:31 +0000, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide berm
> on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling into
> their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to encourage
> bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

I've been working with VDOT on this very issue. The engineers' main
concern is bikes crossing high speed entry/exit lanes (onramps and
offramps).

As this project progresses I'll post more about it.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ask yourself this: if Kerry had won the election and /Teresa/ had had a
>tragic accident in her past, would this guy have a hateful username about
>HER?
>
>How about if Gore had won and /Tipper/ had been involved in a fatal car
>crash as a teenager? Do you think this guy would be calling himself "tipper
>gore - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE"???

No. But someone else would.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Ask yourself this: if Kerry had won the election and /Teresa/ had
>> had a tragic accident in her past, would this guy have a hateful
>> username about HER?
>>
>> How about if Gore had won and /Tipper/ had been involved in a fatal
>> car crash as a teenager? Do you think this guy would be calling
>> himself "tipper gore - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE"???

> No. But someone else would.

Possibly, I suppose. I just don't recall any "regularly appearing" posters
with names like michael moore -- BIG FAT LYING PIG or ted kennedy -- DRUNKEN
VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER AND COVERUP DUE TO AFFAIR WITH YOUNG ASSISTANT. (The
latter, of course, like the strange person's user name in this thread, makes
no sense grammatically; but at least it would be truthful.)

Mike T. wrote:
> >> Ummmm, it's not that rare. If bicycle use was allowed in the emergency
> >> lane, we'd have hundreds of bicyclists killed, daily I'm sure. -Dave

> > Doesn't seem to be a problem in the half of the U.S. where it's legal
> > already.
> >
> > Interstate cycling is actually safer. Boring, but safer. Riding across
> > the Cascade Mountains on I-90 is smooth, safe, and dull. Riding on US-
> > 20 is much more scenic, also harder with more passes, and more
> > dangerous. Likewise, if I needed to ride to southern Oregon in a hurry,
> > I-5 would be faster and safer than riding down the coast on 101, but
> > also extremely boring.
> >
> > No need to theorize, you can look at the statistics in states where it's
> > been legal for decades.

> Josh - Ever heard the saying there are lies, there are DAMNED LIES, and then
> there are statistics???
>
> I don't doubt the statistics probably show that biking on the freeway is
> pretty safe, in areas where it is currently allowed.
>
> Of course, it's only "pretty safe" at the moment as it's not too common,
> even in areas where it is allowed.
>
> Imagine if traffic density of bicycles increased to say, 10 per mile, on the
> average freeway.

Great!

> I'm sure that the numbers would then show why allowing
> bicycles on freeways is a really TERRIBLE idea.

I am not so sure. Maybe the numbers would really be saying why
allowing cars on freeways is a really TERRIBLE idea.

Mike T. wrote:
> >> Ummmm, it's not that rare. If bicycle use was allowed in the emergency
> >> lane, we'd have hundreds of bicyclists killed, daily I'm sure. -Dave

> > Doesn't seem to be a problem in the half of the U.S. where it's legal
> > already.
> >
> > Interstate cycling is actually safer. Boring, but safer. Riding across
> > the Cascade Mountains on I-90 is smooth, safe, and dull. Riding on US-
> > 20 is much more scenic, also harder with more passes, and more
> > dangerous. Likewise, if I needed to ride to southern Oregon in a hurry,
> > I-5 would be faster and safer than riding down the coast on 101, but
> > also extremely boring.
> >
> > No need to theorize, you can look at the statistics in states where it's
> > been legal for decades.

> Josh - Ever heard the saying there are lies, there are DAMNED LIES, and then
> there are statistics???
>
> I don't doubt the statistics probably show that biking on the freeway is
> pretty safe, in areas where it is currently allowed.
>
> Of course, it's only "pretty safe" at the moment as it's not too common,
> even in areas where it is allowed.
>
> Imagine if traffic density of bicycles increased to say, 10 per mile, on the
> average freeway.

Great!

> I'm sure that the numbers would then show why allowing
> bicycles on freeways is a really TERRIBLE idea.

I am not so sure. Maybe the numbers would really be saying why
allowing cars on freeways is a really TERRIBLE idea.

> -Dave

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:34:35 GMT, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:44:18 GMT, "Sorni"

>> I didn't say that. But she was from a wealthy family and rich people
>> routinely buy their way out of horrible crimes. Happens every day.

>I posted a link to a truthful account of what happened. You deleted it.

I've got a dozen links to the laura bush case and i don't need to read
one of yours. Everyone agrees she was guilty of killing that guy and
should have been charged with vehicular homicide at the very least.
You're a criminal coddler.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:44:18 GMT, "Sorni"

>> I didn't say that. But she was from a wealthy family and rich people
>> routinely buy their way out of horrible crimes. Happens every day.

>I posted a link to a truthful account of what happened. You deleted it.

I've got a dozen links to the laura bush case and i don't need to read
one of yours. Everyone agrees she was guilty of killing that guy and
should have been charged with vehicular homicide at the very least.
You're a criminal coddler.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:41:04 GMT, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>morticide wrote:
>> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

>>> I don't know if that's true or false and neither do you, but i do
>>> know that the stop sign laura bush blew was at an intersection she
>>> had been thru a million times.

>> By age 17? Sounds like a bit of a stretch. I'm sure you've heard the
>> phease "young and dumb" before.

>Ask yourself this: if Kerry had won the election and /Teresa/ had had a
>tragic accident in her past, would this guy have a hateful username about
>HER?

As a matter of fact i would be going after theresa if she was FL and
had done something like what laura did. Of course, it wouldn't matter
since you repubs would be wailing about it constantl as you do with
ted kennedy. And you'd be right to do so.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>morticide wrote:
>> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

>>> I don't know if that's true or false and neither do you, but i do
>>> know that the stop sign laura bush blew was at an intersection she
>>> had been thru a million times.

>> By age 17? Sounds like a bit of a stretch. I'm sure you've heard the
>> phease "young and dumb" before.

>Ask yourself this: if Kerry had won the election and /Teresa/ had had a
>tragic accident in her past, would this guy have a hateful username about
>HER?

As a matter of fact i would be going after theresa if she was FL and
had done something like what laura did. Of course, it wouldn't matter
since you repubs would be wailing about it constantl as you do with
ted kennedy. And you'd be right to do so.

On 21 Jun 2006 22:50:36 +0200, "Bill Bonde ('The path is clear, though
no eyes can see')" <[email protected]> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>>
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.
>>

>They are allowed on some freeways.

That's what many on this board have said. But i think it's fair to
say they are banned on most freeways. Maybe on urban freeways where
traffic is dense and there are lots of exits, such a ban makes sense.

On 21 Jun 2006 22:50:36 +0200, "Bill Bonde ('The path is clear, though
no eyes can see')" <[email protected]> wrote:

>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>>
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
>> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
>> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
>> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.
>>

>They are allowed on some freeways.

That's what many on this board have said. But i think it's fair to
say they are banned on most freeways. Maybe on urban freeways where
traffic is dense and there are lots of exits, such a ban makes sense.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:32:09 -0400, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:31:31 +0000, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide berm
>> on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling into
>> their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to encourage
>> bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

>I've been working with VDOT on this very issue. The engineers' main
>concern is bikes crossing high speed entry/exit lanes (onramps and
>offramps).
>
>As this project progresses I'll post more about it.

Others on the board have made that point and it's a valid concern.
It appears some freeways allow bikes but require them to exit at every
exit ramp, cross over and then get back on via the entrance ramp.
That seems reasonable on rural freeways where the exits are 10 miles
or so apart but would be a real pain for bikers intra-city.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:31:31 +0000, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>
>> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide berm
>> on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling into
>> their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to encourage
>> bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.

>I've been working with VDOT on this very issue. The engineers' main
>concern is bikes crossing high speed entry/exit lanes (onramps and
>offramps).
>
>As this project progresses I'll post more about it.

Others on the board have made that point and it's a valid concern.
It appears some freeways allow bikes but require them to exit at every
exit ramp, cross over and then get back on via the entrance ramp.
That seems reasonable on rural freeways where the exits are 10 miles
or so apart but would be a real pain for bikers intra-city.

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2006 22:50:36 +0200, "Bill Bonde ('The path is clear, though
> no eyes can see')" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> >>
> >> It's really the safest place for them since there is always a wide
> >> berm on a freeway and there is no chance of some parked car pulling
> >> into their path like happens all the time in cities.. We need to
> >> encourage bike use and i say BIKES EVERYWHERE.
> >>

> >They are allowed on some freeways.

> That's what many on this board have said. But i think it's fair to
> say they are banned on most freeways.

I don't think that's a fair statement at all. Do you have a cite to
substantiate they are banned on most freeways? I've seen no evidence of
that.