Why do I weigh so much.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Uphilldowwwwnhi, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Look I am getting depressed.

    I cycle to work 4 out of five days all year, with a round trip of 24 miles, with longer rides now
    and again. Note I do not go slow with an average speed of 18.5 miles per hour. Lots of hills in
    South Wales

    At the week end I either do 50 or 80 mile rides, but prefer to cycle 4 or 5 hours offroad Saturday
    and Sunday, so why do I way over 16 stone?

    And yes I am addicted to food and beer. I am going to give the latter up for a month and see
    what happens.

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    uphilldowwwwnhill wrote:

    > At the week end I either do 50 or 80 mile rides, but prefer to cycle 4 or 5 hours offroad Saturday
    > and Sunday, so why do I way over 16 stone?

    16 stone may or may not be overweight depending on height and build. Also note that muscle is
    denser than fat.

    > And yes I am addicted to food and beer. I am going to give the latter up for a month and see what
    > happens.

    Well, that might be your problem... I think it's why I'm about a stone over what I'd like to be,
    though at least I'm 1/2 a stone lighter than just after Christmas, on a programme of "eat less and
    do more". It's a bit of a chore, but it does work.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. "uphilldowwwwnhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bc9urj$luu$1
    > And yes I am addicted to food and beer. I am going to give the latter up for a month and see what
    > happens.

    No, no, no, give up the former, it will be much more fun ;o)

    --
    David Brown :eek:) http://kitemap.co.uk

  4. uphilldowwwwnhill wrote:

    > Look I am getting depressed.
    >
    > I cycle to work 4 out of five days all year, with a round trip of 24 miles, with longer rides now
    > and again. Note I do not go slow with an average speed of 18.5 miles per hour. Lots of hills in
    > South Wales
    >
    > At the week end I either do 50 or 80 mile rides, but prefer to cycle 4 or 5 hours offroad Saturday
    > and Sunday, so why do I way over 16 stone?
    >
    > And yes I am addicted to food and beer. I am going to give the latter up for a month and see what
    > happens.

    No, that would be a terrible mistake : you can survive two weeks without food, but only three days
    without water. Give up the food for a month and see if that helps ...

    ** Phil.

  5. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    'Eating's cheating' as they say, anyway beer is food, and you'll be more depressed after a month without beer than you are now doing the exercise :)

    As someone who is classed as overweight by the doc's, and underweight by my rugby team mates (14 1/2 stone, 5'8" BMI of 29.5), I just do what I want, the key is moderation. I can get away with eating more than I used to as I cycle 3-4 times a week to work (45 miles round trip), go to the gym 2-3 time a week, and also run 1-2 times a week. It's taking a looooong time to burn off the fat., Keep at it and eventually you'll lose weight. If it takes a long time to get off, then it generally stays off.

    Bryan

  6. [email protected] (Michael Green) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have just been advised by a young man in a car that listening to my walkman style radio whilst
    > cycling is 'illegal'
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Our local coppers use earpieces as they ride on their bikes, so they *must* be legal. After all the
    police would not break the law, would they? Simon

  7. Mark Burch

    Mark Burch Guest

    "uphilldowwwwnhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Look I am getting depressed.
    >
    > I cycle to work 4 out of five days all year, with a round trip of 24 miles, with longer rides now
    > and again. Note I do not go slow with an average speed of 18.5 miles per hour. Lots of hills in
    > South Wales
    >
    > At the week end I either do 50 or 80 mile rides, but prefer to cycle 4 or 5 hours offroad Saturday
    > and Sunday, so why do I way over 16 stone?
    >
    > And yes I am addicted to food and beer. I am going to give the latter up for a month and see what
    > happens.

    I seem to eat loads but never get fat (10½ stone). I should think it's very difficult to eat a
    lot less but perhaps it's what you are eating rather than how much. If you are eating a lot of
    high fat foods, try replacing them with things that are filling but low in fat like bread,
    potatoes and pasta.

    Mark Burch

  8. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > I cycle to work 4 out of five days all year, with a round trip of 24 miles, with longer rides now
    > and again. Note I do not go slow with an average speed of 18.5 miles per hour. Lots of hills in
    > South Wales
    >
    > At the week end I either do 50 or 80 mile rides, but prefer to cycle 4 or 5 hours offroad Saturday
    > and Sunday, so why do I way over 16 stone?

    16 stone? How tall are you? I'm only a pint off 16 stone and am bang on 6 foot. I don't think I'm
    too far overweight. Especially for someone who is semi-fit. Every so often I decide to lose some
    weight. I find there's only two ways to do it.
    1) Eat very, very well. Cut down fat, carbs, sugars and especially alcohol (if nothing else because
    after a few drinks I tend to eat crap food). You'll need more than two weeks too. It seems to
    take at least two weeks for the benefits to start kicking in.
    2) Jog. No idea why, but jogging takes the weight off, cycling doesn't. Although this is just me,
    others mileage does vary.

    Good luck, and if the weight doesn't come off, take up rugby. It's a huge asset if you're heavy and
    can run for 80 minutes

  9. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:27:35 +0100, Mark Burch
    wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >"uphilldowwwwnhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Look I am getting depressed.
    >>
    >> I cycle to work 4 out of five days all year, with a round trip of 24 miles, with longer rides now
    >> and again. Note I do not go slow with an average speed of 18.5 miles per hour. Lots of hills in
    >> South Wales
    >>
    >> At the week end I either do 50 or 80 mile rides, but prefer to cycle 4 or 5 hours offroad
    >> Saturday and Sunday, so why do I way over 16 stone?
    >>
    >> And yes I am addicted to food and beer. I am going to give the latter up for a month and see what
    >> happens.
    >>

    >I seem to eat loads but never get fat (10½ stone). I should think it's very difficult to eat a
    >lot less but perhaps it's what you are eating rather than how much. If you are eating a lot of
    >high fat foods, try replacing them with things that are filling but low in fat like bread,
    >potatoes and pasta.

    IANAN (I am not a nutritionist!) but I have struggled with weight loss since the beginning of the
    year like the OP. At 5'6 I weigh in at 14st plus with an ideal weight near the 12.5 st mark.

    I have found that borrowing the idea of the Atkins diet has helped. I have cut down on carbohydrates
    and occasionally cut them out altogether for a couple of days at a time. I haven't followed the diet
    strictly but when carbs are reduced or eliminated, I do manage to shift some of the weight. Up to
    half a stone in a week.

    My weakness is treating myself for succeeding with a small loss in having a few jars of lager at the
    weekend and then eating sandwiches afterwards as I feel so hungry. This is in part due to the
    restricted carb diet.

    It needs further discipline on my part to reduce lager consumption or drink something else, (cider
    seems to be missing from the banned lists) and only treating myself when I actually make some
    breakthroughs. Targets such as going below 14st for a week and then having a treat. :-(

    --
    I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
    it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

  10. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "uphilldowwwwnhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Look I am getting depressed.
    >
    > I cycle to work 4 out of five days all year, with a round trip of 24 miles, with longer rides now
    > and again. Note I do not go slow with an average speed of 18.5 miles per hour. Lots of hills in
    > South Wales

    I commute the same distance with no hills and sup loads of ale without putting on weight. However,
    I don't weigh myself as such, I can tell by the fat around my waist if I'm overweight. If I find
    that I'm gaining a little, then I simply spend more time in the saddle on my days off and make sure
    I don't eat any fatty foods. Check your waist rather than rely on the scales, it could be largely
    muscle, I mean I've seen some massively heavy Rugby players who have little excess flab. Simon

  11. Try giving up the alocohol, but don't replace it by high sugar drinks ;-)

    Try eating low-fat too. It is working fine for me ... so far ;-)

    Cheers, helen s (fatbirdonabike on her way to becoming slightlypodgybbirdonabike)

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  12. W K

    W K Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 2) Jog. No idea why, but jogging takes the weight off, cycling doesn't. Although this is just me,
    > others mileage does vary.

    Has never worked for me.

    In the past 4-5 years I managed to lose 2 stone in first year with not much exercise.

    Since then it has varied a bit - not much with all sorts of exercise.

    In terms of weight loss, theres not much point in exercising, it just makes you hungrier.

  13. Beer is FEROCIOUSLY fattening.

    Drink wine.

  14. "John Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > IANAN (I am not a nutritionist!) but I have struggled with weight loss since the beginning of the
    > year like the OP. At 5'6 I weigh in at 14st plus with an ideal weight near the 12.5 st mark.

    I think it must be in the genes. I could as well ask why do I weigh so little? I'm 5'6 and weigh, oh
    I dunno, I haven't measured it in years but let's just say I have a "Charles Atlas before" type
    physique. I think I eat fairly heavily (eg compared to colleagues at work) and without exercise the
    worst that may happen is I get very slightly rounder round the stomach. With exercise I've never
    seemed to be able to put on weight (ie build muscle mass) - which used to bother me in my teens but
    which I've long since ceased to care about. I know others, of course, who eat like birds and still
    have difficulty keeping their weight down. I'm persuaded that, unless vastly over/under weight it's
    just not worth bothering about - the body will find its own natural equilibrium, the main thing is
    to eat 'healthy' foods (not necessarily 'health' foods) - adequate balance of fresh fruit, veg,
    cereals and proteins avoiding excessive processed and fatty foods, and exercise regularly. Of course
    the term 'beer belly' hasn't been coined for nothing, so some restraint may be needed there. If you
    do that, whatever weight you come out with must be right for your body.

    Rich

  15. I think you'll find that beer has no fat content at all, it has sugar and alcohol neither of which
    are fattening. Sugar just happens to be used before fat when burning off energy, but it will never
    mirraculously turn into fat.

    --
    David Brown :eek:) http://kitemap.co.uk

  16. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Beer is FEROCIOUSLY fattening.

    Nah, it's 95% water and has less calories than milk. Wine has far more calories per unit volume
    than beer has since it contains 3 times as much alcohol.

    I am skinny and drink about 3 - 4 pints most days. The problem with beer is the curries, pies,
    Indians, Chineses, fish and chips, kebabs and the like that people eat after the pub. Cut those out
    and you don't have a problem

  17. Daniel Auger

    Daniel Auger Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Pete wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:25:25 +0100, "Gear=F3id =D3 Laoi, Garry Lee"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >=20
    > >Beer is FEROCIOUSLY fattening.
    > >

    > >Drink wine.
    >=20
    > I'm never too sure on this one - I'd say, for effect, that a bottle of wine is equivalent to 3
    > pints of lager. Lager being about 150 calories a pint (450 for 3) but I thought a bottle of wine
    > was nearer 600?

    I thought a pint of beer was about 200 calories (5-6 miles on a bike)?

    I thought a 125ml glass of wine was about 60 calories.

    Thus at the recommended maximum intake of 3-4 units a day, drinking only beer will give you 300-400
    calories too many, and drinking only wine will give you 180-240 calories.

    I may be completely wrong. If so, please educate me. :)

    --=20 Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

  18. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:25:25 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Beer is FEROCIOUSLY fattening.
    >

    >Drink wine.

    I'm never too sure on this one - I'd say, for effect, that a bottle of wine is equivalent to 3 pints
    of lager. Lager being about 150 calories a pint (450 for 3) but I thought a bottle of wine was
    nearer 600?

    Pete angeltec co uk

  19. W K

    W K Guest

    "David Brown :eek:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think you'll find that beer has no fat content at all, it has sugar and alcohol neither of which
    > are fattening.

    Alcohol is fattening. In fact it fits very nicely into the fat metabolism pathways, its almost more
    convenient for your body to turn into lard than lard is.

    >Sugar just happens to be used before fat when burning off energy, but it will never mirraculously
    >turn into fat.

    ?? Not miraculous, just a basic metabolic fact. Sugar in the bloodstream will be turned into fat if
    there is enough of it.

  20. Jackrabbit

    Jackrabbit Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Beer is FEROCIOUSLY fattening.
    >

    > Nah, it's 95% water and has less calories than milk. Wine has far more calories per unit volume
    > than beer has since it contains 3 times as much alcohol.
    >
    > I am skinny and drink about 3 - 4 pints most days. The problem with beer is the curries, pies,
    > Indians, Chineses, fish and chips, kebabs and the like that people eat after the pub. Cut those
    > out and you don't have a problem

    Yeah, but the problem with beer is that it's very more-ish. When was the last time you drank 8 pints
    of milk and then went for a curry?

    I seem to remember that beer is around 250 - 350 calories a pint. 4 or 5 pints would then be about
    1/2 your RDA of calories, so it's definitely not part of ones calorie controlled diet

    Pete