Why does Armstrong provoke such strong pro/anti feelings ?

Originally posted by davek
Don't be so keen to pigeonhole people as pro-this or anti-that then maybe you won't make this mistake so often.

And try to take off those anti-Armstrong blinkers and then you might be able to appreciate him for what he is: not the greatest cyclist of all time, maybe not even the tenth greatest cyclist of all time, but unquestionably the most single-minded and determined competitor in his sport who thanks to these qualities has dominated his sport's most prestigious event* for the last five years.

Indeed I agree with your view, Armstrong is the most single-minded and determined competitor in his sport.

Originally posted by limerickman
Is he going to race the Giro or the Vuelta ?

That's my point. Try and keep up...at least with your own sense of what passes for logic.

The thread is discussing pro/anti sentiment re Armstrong.

You alluded to the fact that you are in fact an Ullrich fan.
I simply asked the question that if Ullrich ratings surpassed
Armstrongs rating on the www.cyclinghalloffame.com site,
would you then consider Ullrich to be greater than Armstrong ?
I'm only asking your opinion, DaveK.

In your own time, DaveK

Originally posted by jstraw
That's my point. Try and keep up...at least with your own sense of what passes for logic.

The question posed was whether Armstrong had the ability/courage to win another grand tour, as well as winning the TDF in the same year.

The question wasn't whether Jan had the ability/courage to win another grand tour, as well as winning the TDF in the same year.

Try reading the messages before replying.

Originally posted by alicem
Especially when we are virtually neighbours!!! ;)

It`s a fact ....everybody needs good neighbours.

;)

This thread getting a litle heated or what!!!

Limpet

Originally posted by limpet

;)

Limpet

You should have seen this thread a couple of weeks ago !

Or if you have the time take a look at 10 reasons to hate
lance Armstrong thread, there's plenty more 'honest exchanges' there too !!

'as regards importance.
In the context of everyday life, this is unimportant'.

Limerick

thank you for your reply. As stated I have read your posts and a few comments in your most recent one does show that all I wrote is true.

Regarding this comment though....

'as regards importance.

Limerick

I beg to differ again. I yet again don't see you responding to my words unless I am too blonde to re read my actual words? However, in the context of everyday life his story is actually very important. Years ago I was ill and still get odd bouts. My mother asked what I wanted from home bringing in whilst at hospital and almost unable to talk still said for her to bring in the L.A book which I focused on so hard willing myself to get better.

Others may have sworn or whatever, my post was soley a small input asking if you could re focus all your energy. Yes, your points are valid, at times correct, at times perhaps not. I merely wondered if you could take some time to channel it all and come to your points in a more loving, forgiving and accepting way instead? You don't have to fight off the bike, save that inner strength for those climbs in your beautiful part of the world

:)

Alice ***

You should have seen this thread a couple of weeks ago !

Or if you have the time take a look at 10 reasons to hate
lance Armstrong thread, there's plenty more 'honest exchanges' there too !!

Oh krikey Limerick, c'mon man. Let us reply or write without needing you to knit us together....no explanations here...I posted that for someone else.

Blimey:(

;)

Limpet

LMAO, I'll see you one day on the A46 for some time trialing! 30 minutes away from each other despite this 'virtual forum', too funny! :p

Alice ***

'as regards importance.

Limerick

thank you for your reply. As stated I have read your posts and a few comments in your most recent one does show that all I wrote is true.

Regarding this comment though....

'as regards importance.

Limerick

I beg to differ again. I yet again don't see you responding to my words unless I am too blonde to re read my actual words? However, in the context of everyday life his story is actually very important. Years ago I was ill and still get odd bouts. My mother asked what I wanted from home bringing in whilst at hospital and almost unable to talk still said for her to bring in the L.A book which I focused on so hard willing myself to get better.

Others may have sworn or whatever, my post was soley a small input asking if you could re focus all your energy. Yes, your points are valid, at times correct, at times perhaps not. I merely wondered if you could take some time to channel it all and come to your points in a more loving, forgiving and accepting way instead? You don't have to fight off the bike, save that inner strength for those climbs in your beautiful part of the world

:)

Alice ***

When I stated that the discussion about Armstrong was unimportant - I put this reference in, to suggest that in the overall
scheme of things, our discussion is not important.

I'm glad that you were able to draw inspiration from Armstrong's
recovery - indeed a lot of people who have suffered serious illness
draw great strength from his (and other peoples) ability to over come what is a life threatning condition.
I was not aware that you had some health difficulties,
you will therefore understand that my reference to the discussion being unimportant, is not intended to be a slight on the fact that
his example (and his book) assisted you to recover.
The context of your responses posted to this thread are thusfar
very understandable, given what you've stated in this specific reply.

When I stated that the discussion about Armstrong was unimportant - I put this reference in, to suggest that in the overall
scheme of things, our discussion is not important.

I'm glad that you were able to draw inspiration from Armstrong's
recovery - indeed a lot of people who have suffered serious illness
draw great strength from his (and other peoples) ability to over come what is a life threatning condition.
I was not aware that you had some health difficulties,
you will therefore understand that my reference to the discussion being unimportant, is not intended to be a slight on the fact that
his example (and his book) assisted you to recover.
The context of your responses posted to this thread are thusfar
very understandable, given what you've stated in this specific reply.

Thank you Limerick. Your words were incredibly kind and appreciated. See, you're a softie deep down and that in itself warms me. :)

Thank you Limerick. Your words were incredibly kind and appreciated. See, you're a softie deep down and that in itself warms me. :)

No problem !

LMAO, I'll see you one day on the A46 for some time trialing! 30 minutes away from each other despite this 'virtual forum', too funny! :p

Alice ***

Alice
Would that be the A46 above or below Newark, ......the traffic below being slightly less manic.

Will you be doing the Belvoir ride this year it`s for a good cause, I don`t think Lance can make it but we could ask good ol` Limerickman ...;)

Limpet

Alice
Would that be the A46 above or below Newark, ......the traffic below being slightly less manic.

Will you be doing the Belvoir ride this year it`s for a good cause, I don`t think Lance can make it but we could ask good ol` Limerickman ...;)

Limpet

I'd be more than happy to take part in any fundraising event.
Have participated in charity cycles before and will continue to do so.

What is the Belvoir ride ?
Presumably it's in England ?
I'd be happy to go over there and give it a go !
I can meet with all the LA fans there (bring along DaveK)

Alice

Limpet

LMFAO, way below Newark......I'm in Leicester, Evington Village, but my family are in West Bridgford and Mum in Toton for the time being (good old Jesse 'BOOT'....yeah right?!!!) Originally when we moved to the U.K we started in Melton Mowbray. ~Bad ole' Stilton Cheese wishing to be eaten!~

As for Belvoir, it is pronounced Beaver to those who don't know (belle voire) and I know those roads very well....Long Clawson, Hose, Harby etc..... I would so love to come along on that ride, but oops...I forgot to mention something; that when the b/f became an 'ex' the ****e sold my bike that I had worked on for umpteen hours and had it totally perfect for what I required. (resetting the score that it is not only women who decide to try and get their revenge by hitting the most important and valued of ones possesions?!!) Nice attack or what?!!! Anyone got a spare few grand and (he sold it for £10.00!!!!!!!! Nice touch, icing on the cake...~tsk~) I would so gladly ride the Belvoir!

xxxxAlicexxxx

There seems to be new life in this thread. Thanks Alice.

A couple nof years back here in Australia we had a lunatic who thought he had the solution to dibviding the property after a relationship breakup. He cut everything they owned in half with a chain-saw!

He lost out in the end as the family court made him cough up half the value of the undamaged property!

Kind regards,

In your own time, DaveK

I've not been at my computer much these past few days hence too busy to respond, but yeah, if Ullrich ever lives up to the potential that he has shown since a very early age he could easily surpass Armstrong in any list of all-time greats. Whether or not he does live up to his potential remains to be seen. This year's TdF could be crunch time - Jan will havetime to catch up after Lance has retired but if he wants to ever be considered as greater than Lance he needs to actually beat him in a race.

I wouldn't necessarily treat the list at cyclinghalloffame.com as definitive but I think it is a reasonable rough guide to relative levels of all-time greatness. I think Lance deserves a fairly high up place. I can see where you're coming from with your complaint about him only riding the TdF but I still think that even in those circumstances winning five TdFs in a row is an awesome achievement. Of course winning a sixth and even a seventh wouldn't make him the greatest cyclist of all time, but it's only Armstrong fans (rather than cycling fans) who think that it would.

You know, Limerickman, obviously we disagree on various details about Lance's performance and achievements but I suspect we agree on far more and I'd love to do a ride with you one day and maybe afterwards retire to a hostelry and buy you a pint, over which we can discuss matters cycling.

Don't know if this Belvoir ride would be feasible for me (anyone got any dates?) but let's make a tentative plan to fix up a date if a suitable opportunity should crop up.

Originally posted by davek
I've not been at my computer much these past few days hence too busy to respond, but yeah, if Ullrich ever lives up to the potential that he has shown since a very early age he could easily surpass Armstrong in any list of all-time greats. Whether or not he does live up to his potential remains to be seen. This year's TdF could be crunch time - Jan will havetime to catch up after Lance has retired but if he wants to ever be considered as greater than Lance he needs to actually beat him in a race.

I wouldn't necessarily treat the list at cyclinghalloffame.com as definitive but I think it is a reasonable rough guide to relative levels of all-time greatness. I think Lance deserves a fairly high up place. I can see where you're coming from with your complaint about him only riding the TdF but I still think that even in those circumstances winning five TdFs in a row is an awesome achievement. Of course winning a sixth and even a seventh wouldn't make him the greatest cyclist of all time, but it's only Armstrong fans (rather than cycling fans) who think that it would.

You know, Limerickman, obviously we disagree on various details about Lance's performance and achievements but I suspect we agree on far more and I'd love to do a ride with you one day and maybe afterwards retire to a hostelry and buy you a pint, over which we can discuss matters cycling.

Don't know if this Belvoir ride would be feasible for me (anyone got any dates?) but let's make a tentative plan to fix up a date if a suitable opportunity should crop up.

I agree ! I'd say that all of us agree on most subjects and while we disagree on certain issues, this shouldn't prevent people
from being on good terms.
I'd love to have a few pints after a spin - I've got family in your part of the world (Orpington in Kent) so if it can't be Belvoir,
we can certainly get together at some point (if the wife allows me, that is !!!!!)