Why does every one hate Greg Lemond?

Coke Zero said:
Here's some LA trivia: LA was on an episode of Overhaulin' and when he was being duped into the scheme, one of the show's host played an inspector or something and tried to get LA to sign a yellow jersey. LA replied a bit rudely that he wouldn't sign it because it would just be sold on ebay. At the end of the day though, Lance...score one suped up Camaro (courtesy of Sheryl Crow), host...still zero.
You mean Lances 1970 GTO?

Greg Lemond truly fought to win his Tours. I don't think he nearly had the team that Lance put togeather.

I stand corrected. Won't be the last time...
tasr said:
You mean Lances 1970 GTO?

Greg Lemond truly fought to win his Tours. I don't think he nearly had the team that Lance put togeather.

From what I have seen and heard, Lemond is a bit whiny and does seem to carry some luggage but then most of us do.

Is there any substantive evidence that Armstrong or Fignon cheated?

azul_fahrrad said:
From what I have seen and heard, Lemond is a bit whiny and does seem to carry some luggage but then most of us do.

Is there any substantive evidence that Armstrong or Fignon cheated?
With Armstrong there is plenty of circumstantial evidence plus those EPO tests from 1999 that weren't done under appropriate testing procedures. Fignon put in two positives during his career IIRC.

classic1 said:
With Armstrong there is plenty of circumstantial evidence plus those EPO tests from 1999 that weren't done under appropriate testing procedures. Fignon put in two positives during his career IIRC.
Doing a Google search I found information about Fignon but it appears that he did not dope untill after he had passed his prime, perhaps is was a desperate attempt to recapture what was lost or extend a career that was already over.

Reading about some of the circumstantial evidence and the EPO tests involving Lance, it sounds more like sour grapes than hard evidence.

If Pro Cycling really wants to clean up the sport than they really need to clean up their testing standards and protocols. It seems what is or is not a positive highly speculative depending on which lab is doing the testing, who the rider is and what country the lab is in.

A French news paper testing old B samples of a racer when the country and paper have both shown a clear bias against the rider is hardly evidence..

A rose by any other name is still a rose. A positive in one country should be a positive in any other country. If the protocols are not strictly adhered to, the benifit of the doubt should go to rider.

That's my two cents, let me know if I owe you change.

azul_fahrrad said:
A French news paper testing old B samples of a racer when the country and paper have both shown a clear bias against the rider is hardly evidence..
A French newspaper did not test the samples. They were tested by a WADA accredited lab. All samples from the '98 and '99 Tours were tested anonomously.; the lab had no idea who each sample belonged to. A couple years later the newspaper was able to link six of the positives to Armstrong because Armstrong gave the UCI permission to supply a reporter with his doping forms, which contained the codes used the label samples. Sounds like evidence to me.

Fignon is one of the few riders who had the guts to stand up straight and tell people what he thought about doping. He said, "I did what I did and took what I took. I'm the one who will have to live with the consequences," or something to that effect. Surely a lot better than the sniveling denials we get today.

Bro Deal said:
...They were tested by a WADA accredited lab. All samples from the '98 and '99 Tours were tested anonomously.; the lab had no idea who each sample belonged to. A couple years later the newspaper was able to link six of the positives to Armstrong because Armstrong gave the UCI permission to supply a reporter with his doping forms, which contained the codes used the label samples. Sounds like evidence to me....
Ok, I guess I am a little slow.

Why does WADA keep urine samples after they finish testing? Sounds expensive considering how many test are done and the number of riders. It also sounds very gross.

If WADA did the testing and there was PED's, why was Armstrong not nailed to the wall way back then?

azul_fahrrad said:
Ok, I guess I am a little slow.

Why does WADA keep urine samples after they finish testing? Sounds expensive considering how many test are done and the number of riders. It also sounds very gross.

If WADA did the testing and there was PED's, why was Armstrong not nailed to the wall way back then?
Because EPO could not be detected in 1999. The UCI only started testing for it in 2001. Up to that point you were free to use EPO and just monitor your hematocrit to make sure you did not go over the 50% level.

As to why they keep the samples and for how long they are kept, I don't know.

Bro Deal said:
Because EPO could not be detected in 1999. The UCI only started testing for it in 2001. Up to that point you were free to use EPO and just monitor your hematocrit to make sure you did not go over the 50% level.

As to why they keep the samples and for how long they are kept, I don't know.
EPO cannot be detected in 2007 either.

Unless you overdose or dehydrate.

Daily Aranesp EPO injections remains clear--as do cow blood, insulin, most corticoids, hGH, testosterone, thyroid drugs and RSR-13 red blood thinner.

You do talk sense !!
Bro Deal said:
It's because all the Armstrong chamois sniffers are upset that Lemond pointed out that Armstrong was obviously doping. These guys feel the need to run down anyone who publicly criticizes Armstrong, whether it's Lemond, Andreau, Steffan, Swart, O'Reilly, Landis, Horner, etc.

While Lemond has done the best he can to point out the doping problem and get something done about it, Armstrong still maintains that there is not a doping program because if there were then it would lead to obvious questions about himself.

azul_fahrrad said:
not only does lance's chamois smell like roses but he also has the ability to dodge bullets! I wonder if it was Charmichael or Ferrari who taught him how to do that.:confused:

I think people dog Lemond because he said iky things about their hero, and maybe because he rode for a european team for awhile.

Bro Deal said:
It's because all the Armstrong chamois sniffers are upset that Lemond pointed out that Armstrong was obviously doping. These guys feel the need to run down anyone who publicly criticizes Armstrong, whether it's Lemond, Andreau, Steffan, Swart, O'Reilly, Landis, Horner, etc.

While Lemond has done the best he can to point out the doping problem and get something done about it, Armstrong still maintains that there is not a doping program because if there were then it would lead to obvious questions about himself.

...we don't like him because he is going after Armstrong for the wrong reasons

Cycler6n said:
First off, Lemond could have won more tdfs. He got shot, recovered came back, and won another tour, the years he was resting, he could have been winning, your not looking at how important the tdf is, its the biggest sporting event in the world. I can see why he's upset over that, but rarely hear him talk about that.
when he was riding, he couldn't freak out about dopers, he was too busy mopping up the competition, riding too win, he was too concentrated, he can't stop everything and start crying.
I've never heard of Kathy Lemond and armstrong talking, I'll have to look that up.
And, how could he have been the most oved, by shuting up and sitting in a corner and letting doping idiots ruin the sport of cycling?

you have got to be kidding me

Doctor.House said:
Only morons hate people they do NOT know.

Greg succeeded in a filthy dirty business (sport entertainment). He is still commercially successful and a long time father/husband and cycling icon.

As far as we know Greg did not abuse cow blood in order to win a bike race.

Lance Armstrong believers must deal with his pro-doping contradictions, bullying of whistleblowers, SCA testimony, doping allegations, cow blood & insulin included, doped confirmed, doper confession teammates, flunked EPO tests, flunked corticosteroid tests, rumors of RSR-13 chemo/red cell enhancer research, convicted doper doctor Ferrari, and questionable Nike dog-fighter endorsement.

Greg Lemond is easy to root for if cow blood makes you puke. Lance is preferred if Polypharmacy and Life Science, tax deductable cover ups excite you. LIVE WRONG!

Will Geoghegan can't help Lance on these questions.

Greg needs his ass beat

LeMond is a zealous whistleblower, to some degree. Yes, he has an axe to grind, and justifiably so considering what he's been through AFAIK. As such, he's become the lightening rod for missplaced anger by those who would rather the status quo (drugs in cycling, its Omerta policy, and American cycling's Godfather) remain in place and untouched.

He's an iconoclast, and those folks are never popular in the short term, but in the long term LeMond will be held in esteem, IMO.

Lastly, "everyone" does not hate Greg LeMond. I don't hate him...Those folks that do should look elsewhere and focus on real heroes in society - especially not athletes/entertainers, etc...

I do not agree but hey.......that's what makes you a person I respect......because you politely and with more tact than i used stood up for your believe Good deal!

Hating him isn't worth the effort. He didn't participate, as far as we know, in any genocide. He hasn't been convicted of any child molestation charges. He's never kicked my dog or hurt any friends or family. In fact, he's not really brought any harm to the world or anyone. Hell, neither has Armstrong. Given that, hating seems completely misplaced. I think if someone's at the point where they hate LeMond, Armstrong, or whoever, they're wound a bit too tight about cycling and have missed a critical point or two.

alienator said:
Hating him isn't worth the effort. He didn't participate, as far as we know, in any genocide. He hasn't been convicted of any child molestation charges. He's never kicked my dog or hurt any friends or family. In fact, he's not really brought any harm to the world or anyone. Hell, neither has Armstrong. Given that, hating seems completely misplaced. I think if someone's at the point where they hate LeMond, Armstrong, or whoever, they're wound a bit too tight about cycling and have missed a critical point or two.

You are so right my friend!

Greg, please crawl back under the rock you came out from & shut it. You've been bested - deal with it you whiny old tool & put a muzzle on it. You have truly turned into a pathetic curmudgeon.