Wife & Whether to Helmet or not to Helmet

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Samatha" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Women are much less likely to have accidents operating any vehicle.
> That is why we pay less for auto insurance, the big airlines _prefer_
> women pilots when they can get 'em, and the military does, too. Well,
> more sensible foreign militaries, at least, like the Isrealis and the
> Germans. The first gyrocopter was piloted by a woman, I recall.
>
> The difference is startling; it is usually ascribed to less risk-taking
> on women's part, though I think that's balderdash. That has not been my
> general observation in the field. Women do seem to just react better,
> and faster, in emergency to steer clear from what I've seen / done. Of
> course, I'm so new back to bicycling I tend to be super-cautious and
> even timid to the point where THAT gets me in trouble, now and then.
> So, I don't think it's the risk-taking myth (cherished as it is by you
> fellas), so much as the other.

I do not think it is that either. Women pilots are more
likely to aim the airplane and let it take its course. Men
pilots are more likely to `cowboy' the airplane.

Russian women flew thousands of missions in World War II.
One of the cargo aircraft had such heavy controls that at
take off the co-pilot stood behind the pilot with her
hands on the stick adding her effort to pull it back.

"Hey, Biff, let me help you with that."

--
Michael Press

> "Samatha" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>The difference is startling; it is usually ascribed to less risk-taking
>>on women's part, though I think that's balderdash. That has not been my
>>general observation in the field. Women do seem to just react better,
>>and faster, in emergency to steer clear from what I've seen / done.

Sorry, but men have faster reaction times than women.

Literature Review of Reaction Time
http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm

"Gender. At the risk of being politically incorrect, in almost every age
group, males have faster reaction times than females, and female
disadvantage is not reduced by practice (Noble et al., 1964; Welford,
1980; Adam et al., 1999; Dane and Erzurumlugoglu, 2003). Bellis (1933)
reported that mean time to press a key in response to a light was 220
msec for males and 260 msec for females; for sound the difference was
190 msec (males) to 200 msec (females). In comparison, Engel (1972)
reported a reaction time to sound of 227 msec (male) to 242 msec
(female). Botwinick and Thompson (1966) found that almost all of the
male-female difference was accounted for by the lag between the
presentation of the stimulus and the beginning of muscle contraction.
Muscle contraction times were the same for males and females. In a
surprising finding, Szinnai et al. (2005) found that gradual dehydration
(loss of 2.6% of body weight over a 7-day period) caused females to have
lengthened choice reaction time, but males to have shortened choice
reaction times. Adam et al. (1999) reported that males use a more
complex strategy than females. Barral and Debu (2004) found that while
men were faster than women at aiming at a target, the women were more
accurate. Jevas and Yan (2001) reported that age-related deterioration
in reaction time was the same in men and women."

Wayne

[email protected] wrote:
> Hold it. "Activity" does _not_ mean "sport." Climbing a ladder is an
> activity. Walking down stairs is an activity. Walking down a sidewalk
> is an activity. Don't use restrict definitions just to make cycling
> look bad!

"Out playing", as in "the kids were out playing basketball" or "out
playing, riding their bikes".

Pass-time, recreation. Organized, semi-organized, not organized. That
data seemed applicable to me.

> If you want to restrict it to the common definition of "sports," at
> least count only the head injuries incurred by cyclists who _are_
> engaging in a sport. That would be those who are in a race, or doing
> BMX acrobatics in competition, or perhaps doing observed trials. The
> suburbanites crowding the bike trail about five miles from here are
> certainly not doing those things! Neither are the kids or adults
> riding past my house, nor the old black guys I see riding around the
> inner city, nor the kids riding from the dorms to the campus.

No, but they are bicycling, and almost 70,000 in that data were treated
for a real head injury. In one year. That doesn't include all those who
got a head injury and didn't get it treated. Since some 30% or more
(just guessing, it's increasing and over 40% in '05) are uninsured in
the USA, I'd guess that number is fairly large.

> It's silly to say "there is no organized cycling for kids, so kids
> don't ride bikes." Visit your local *-mart in the spring and look at
> all the new bikes for sale. Cycling may be down, but it's still one of
> the most common means of recreation.

Frank, I just don't see kids out riding their bikes, either while I'm
riding mine, or in the car, whatever. Neither of the schools my
children go to have more than a few kid bike commuters. Nothing like in
my childhood. Contrast to the playing fields full of kids every night
for soccer, football, baseball, softball, cheerleading and even
lacrosse. There are two private concerns locally, one of which has a
gym and pool inside, the other which uses outdoor spaces for ball/stick
games. Nothing at all for bikes except like I said, the Safety Rodeos,
about once a year. So yeah, not much kid biking in comparison to other
sports, and this is Austin, Texas which is a bike culture center next
to Houston, the only other city I've lived in recently enough to talk
about.

(him):
> If you want to ignore anecdotes, that's fine by me - even though I have
> some great ones. I certainly prefer more robust data. The problem for
> you is that the data disproves what you apparently believe!

I posted some data about head injuries, which data could be used to
compare rates of head injury for sports, or better, "outdoor
activities". Bad enough to get your attention.

My "belief" is that cycling is pretty safe until you get run over by a
car or truck. Or ride/race amongst a bunch of doofuses. Repeating, I've
seen a few people land on their heads, with probably (I'm not a doc)
only a couple of concussions, compared to lots and lots of falls
including mass pile-ups in racing that resulted in some bone breaks and
joint injuries but in the vast majority only some several acres of lost
skin, and bruises. AFAIC, that's still pretty "safe", relative to
getting run over by a car if you catch my drift.

> One of the differences between us is, apparently, that you've read
> little on this subject. That's fine, of course - everyone has their
> own interests. And while it's true that the "85%" figure is not used
> _every_ time, I'd estimate it's present in over 90% of helmet
> literature.
>
> Which is, of course, absurd. It comes from one tiny 1989 study of
> self-selected subjects, and has been thoroughly discredited not only by
> its internal data and structure, but by the total lack of corroboration
> with real-world, large population data and the many studies that have
> examined such data.

No, I haven't read much. I see the ads, I've seen the lit that comes
home with the kids. You're right, I'm not exactly inflamed with
interest.

> There is no MHL here, in part (I believe) because a friend and I
> presented a legislative committee with some of the facts I've posted
> here over the years. Despite a rather large collection of
> hand-wringing PTA moms, nurses, and others (largely organized by Safe
> Kids Inc, who get funding from helmet companies) the committee
> examining the bill decided to kill it. And, some who had testified in
> favor of the bill came to us afterward and indicated we had changed
> _their_ minds. Driving to the state capitol was a pain, but it seems to
> have paid off.

Good work. Big payoff on your hours of reseach. Sincerely. I'll agree
with you, no problem, that MHL's adversely affect cycling, and even, to
some extent, the lack of effectiveness in helmets' preventing brain
injury as part of the problem in presenting a net beneficial effect of
helmet use.

My kids still have to wear them (some slack in enforcement) on their
bikes, and I almost always do. Exceptions very rare, short.

> > I don't think you can prove "no effect on
> > serious head injuries" in the first place, since no one is gonna do
> > that science project ...

> You really do need to study this issue more! It's been done. Try
> these:

Whoa, Frank-- "science project" is a sarcastic reference I was making
to the time(s) people have retorted to "the helmet saved my life" folks
by saying "did you go back and try it without the helmet to be sure?

Frank Krygowski

On Wed, 3 May 2006 03:21:47 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A young boy
>trying a new bike ran into the back of a parked car recently. Few adults do
>this.

You might be surprised.

Jasper

On Sun, 07 May 2006 11:17:11 GMT, Jasper Janssen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 3 May 2006 03:21:47 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>A young boy
>>trying a new bike ran into the back of a parked car recently. Few adults do
>>this.

>You might be surprised.
>
>Jasper

Dear Phil and Jasper,

I certainly was!

(Surprised, that is. I still remember doing it at age 14.)

Ambiguously,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hold it. "Activity" does _not_ mean "sport." Climbing a ladder is an
> > activity. Walking down stairs is an activity. Walking down a sidewalk
> > is an activity. Don't use restrict definitions just to make cycling
> > look bad!

> "Out playing", as in "the kids were out playing basketball" or "out
> playing, riding their bikes".
>
> Pass-time, recreation. Organized, semi-organized, not organized. That
> data seemed applicable to me.

It may seem so to you, but again: You are deliberately restricting
data used in your comparisons. You are making much of the fact that
the raw count of HI for cycling exceeds that for, say, fishing. But
the fact that it's FAR less than the raw count for motoring somehow
cuts no ice! If you want to talk about raw counts, talk about all of
them. By those data, cycling is NOT unusually dangerous.

If you want to talk HI per hour, then adress the data I gave. Yes,
data's incomplete - but by the available data, cycling is NOT unusually
dangerous. Even among sporting activities.

I'm quite tired of people who seem to start with the premise that
cycling _is_ dangerous, then filter data until they come up with some
restricted subset to use as a soundbite. I think it's intellectually
dishonest.

> > The
> > suburbanites crowding the bike trail about five miles from here are
> > certainly not [riding for sport]! Neither are the kids or adults
> > riding past my house, nor the old black guys I see riding around the
> > inner city, nor the kids riding from the dorms to the campus.

> No, but they are bicycling, and almost 70,000 in that data were treated
> for a real head injury. In one year.

And at least 50 times more motorists, and at least 40 times more folks
just bumbling around their house.

> That doesn't include all those who
> got a head injury and didn't get it treated. Since some 30% or more
> (just guessing, it's increasing and over 40% in '05) are uninsured in
> the USA, I'd guess that number is fairly large.

Once again, you seem to forget that the above is NOT restricted to
cyclists! Once again, it's not necessary to grab every fact you can to
make cycling sound dangerous.

> > It's silly to say "there is no organized cycling for kids, so kids
> > don't ride bikes." Visit your local *-mart in the spring and look at
> > all the new bikes for sale. Cycling may be down, but it's still one of
> > the most common means of recreation.

> Frank, I just don't see kids out riding their bikes, either while I'm
> riding mine, or in the car, whatever.

I suggest we use actual data collected by professionals. It tells a
different story.

> There are two private concerns locally, one of which has a
> gym and pool inside, the other which uses outdoor spaces for ball/stick
> games. Nothing at all for bikes except like I said, the Safety Rodeos,
> about once a year.

Irrelevant! You don't _need_ organizations to get a kid on a bike!
You just need a kid and a bike. That's one of the many beauties of
cycling.

> I posted some data about head injuries, which data could be used to
> compare rates of head injury for sports, or better, "outdoor
> activities". Bad enough to get your attention.

Only because I hate people trying to overstate the dangers of cycling.
I thought the data I gave provided better context - and, of course,
showed cycling to be plenty safe.

> My "belief" is that cycling is pretty safe until you get run over by a
> car or truck.

Yeah. I believe that about walking, too. And driving. And you can
make similar statements about any activity. As usual, it's not
specific to cycling.

> > One of the differences between us is, apparently, that you've read
> > little on this subject. That's fine, of course - everyone has their
> > own interests. And while it's true that the "85%" figure is not used
> > _every_ time, I'd estimate it's present in over 90% of helmet
> > literature.
> >
> > Which is, of course, absurd. It comes from one tiny 1989 study of
> > self-selected subjects, and has been thoroughly discredited not only by
> > its internal data and structure, but by the total lack of corroboration
> > with real-world, large population data and the many studies that have
> > examined such data.

> No, I haven't read much. I see the ads, I've seen the lit that comes
> home with the kids. You're right, I'm not exactly inflamed with
> interest.

Personally, if I were interested enough to post more than, say, three
times, I'd be interested enough to begin reading.

Try www.cyclehelmets.org for a start.

- Frank Krygowski

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2006 03:21:47 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A young boy
> >trying a new bike ran into the back of a parked car recently. Few adults do
> >this.

> You might be surprised.

Can you say "Davis Phinney"?

In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen
([email protected]) wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2006 03:21:47 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >A young boy
> >trying a new bike ran into the back of a parked car recently. Few adults do
> >this.

> You might be surprised.

I've done it.

Twice.

Note to self: Looking where one is going is widely regarded as a Good
Thing.

Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger

[email protected] wrote:

> It may seem so to you, but again: You are deliberately restricting
> data used in your comparisons. You are making much of the fact that
> the raw count of HI for cycling exceeds that for, say, fishing. But
> the fact that it's FAR less than the raw count for motoring somehow
> cuts no ice! If you want to talk about raw counts, talk about all of
> them. By those data, cycling is NOT unusually dangerous.

Cycling led the way in treated head injuries. 70,000 such in one year.

> If you want to talk HI per hour, then adress the data I gave. Yes,
> data's incomplete - but by the available data, cycling is NOT unusually
> dangerous. Even among sporting activities.

How come more people got treated, by far, for head injuries incurred
while cycling when compared to sporting activities? Including contact
sports, some (basketball, soccer) where helmets are not or usually not
worn?

> I'm quite tired of people who seem to start with the premise that
> cycling _is_ dangerous, then filter data until they come up with some
> restricted subset to use as a soundbite. I think it's intellectually
> dishonest.

I think it's intellectually dishonest to accuse me of starting with a
premise. You said "go find some data". I did. 70,000 diagnosed, treated
head injuries in one year involving bikes is a lot. It doesn't matter
how many were MV-bike accidents, or how many hours people spent in
their cars in the same year. I've even said I don't think cycling
(especially the way I do it!) is dangerous. I haven't said anything
"pro-helmet", as in "it saved my life" or advocated MHL's.
That's a big number, that 70 g's, though, isn't it?

(me):
> > No, but they are bicycling, and almost 70,000 in that data were treated
> > for a real head injury. In one year.

(him):
> And at least 50 times more motorists, and at least 40 times more folks
> just bumbling around their house.

A red herring meant to somehow diminish the cyclist head injury count.
Go to the number and dismantle it if you can.

(me):
> > That doesn't include all those who
> > got a head injury and didn't get it treated. Since some 30% or more
> > (just guessing, it's increasing and over 40% in '05) are uninsured in
> > the USA, I'd guess that number is fairly large.

(him):
> Once again, you seem to forget that the above is NOT restricted to
> cyclists! Once again, it's not necessary to grab every fact you can to
> make cycling sound dangerous.

No no no. Don't drag any other non-cycling population in here! The
number I posted seems pretty solid, given the source-- these seem to be
diagnosed, treated head injuries, not much margin for error or sloppy
reporting. IOW, not the "broken legs, arms, ribs, scratch on the head"
listed as a "head injury", but real, treated head injuries. Plus all
the many not reported due to the high cost of ambulance rides and
emergency room care, hospital stays, etc. Deny if you want, or try to
confuse the issue, as you do. The numbers stand until you show why
they're wrong.

> Irrelevant! You don't _need_ organizations to get a kid on a bike!
> You just need a kid and a bike. That's one of the many beauties of
> cycling.

I counted bikes at my son's elementary school a while back. Twelve,
fourteen, something like that. Maybe 20 on a big day, and a few trailer
bike pickups. School pop. is 679 by one recent count. I grew up in the
50's too, Frank. At least where I live, bike use by kids is a pretty
small fraction of what it was in my generation. But, I didn't go to
summer camps all summer, and I didn't have
soccer/football/softball/baseball/gymnastics/swimming after-school
league play, during the school year, either. My preference would be for
the idle summer days of my youth, btw, fwiw, etc.

> Only because I hate people trying to overstate the dangers of cycling.
> I thought the data I gave provided better context - and, of course,
> showed cycling to be plenty safe.

Reporting data. You asked for it. Go to the numbers. 70,000
cycling-related head injuries treated, in one year, in the USA.

> > My "belief" is that cycling is pretty safe until you get run over by a
> > car or truck.

> Yeah. I believe that about walking, too. And driving. And you can
> make similar statements about any activity. As usual, it's not
> specific to cycling.

My statement that I made was exactly specific to cycling, as I
intended. IOW, the real danger is less, much less, the bike than it is
the MV's you're forced to share the road with.

> Personally, if I were interested enough to post more than, say, three
> times, I'd be interested enough to begin reading.

Well, I read a little and put up some numbers you haven't knocked down
yet. Sounds like your reading hasn't put many arrows in the ol' quiver
there, Frank. Leave the home falls and the MV stats out of it and
somehow make the 70,000 smaller. I'll go look for "cyclists treated for
broken collar bones" "cyclists treated for broken hips" "ribs"
"reconstructive facial surgery". Or not, point being made.

One of the other differences between us is that I'm teaching my kids
that cycling *is* *potentially* a dangerous activity unless you pay
attention and "follow the rules" (traffic laws) with the intention of
making them work for you, while "protecting yourself at all times". The
helmet is mostly for show, as the expression goes, but indicative of an
attitude that (I hope) is put on along with it: "You don't have to be
scared, you just have to pay attention and be careful".

It might be a little ironic that part of this attitude comes from
riding with some pretty hard-headed (and successful) racers. I believe
you don't have a very high regard for the racer bunch (correct me if
need be) but I started riding with them not to go racing (not at all),
but because their riding skills, speed last on the list as far as I was
concerned, were obviously far superior to mine. They taught me "The Law
of the Pack" (my description, misspent Scouting youth <g>) that covers
group ettiquette, which serves the end of riding fast in groups, over
distance, without having accidents (falls). By whatever name, a
wonderful oral tradition that augments the Rules of the Road very well.
Some know and follow it, some don't, some wear band-aids and slings,
and some don't-- evidently, cycling is a good bit more dangerous for
the second group mentioned! --D-y

On Sun, 07 May 2006 05:34:17 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>On Sun, 07 May 2006 11:17:11 GMT, Jasper Janssen
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 3 May 2006 03:21:47 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>A young boy
>>>trying a new bike ran into the back of a parked car recently. Few adults do
>>>this.

>>You might be surprised.
>>
>>Jasper

>Dear Phil and Jasper,
>
>I certainly was!
>
>(Surprised, that is. I still remember doing it at age 14.)

I sort of scraped by one at that age, broke my pinkie on the wing mirror.

Jasper

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > You are deliberately restricting
> > data used in your comparisons. You are making much of the fact that
> > the raw count of HI for cycling exceeds that for, say, fishing. But
> > the fact that it's FAR less than the raw count for motoring somehow
> > cuts no ice! If you want to talk about raw counts, talk about all of
> > them. By those data, cycling is NOT unusually dangerous.

> Cycling led the way in treated head injuries. 70,000 such in one year.

Only in your list.

>From Kraus, "Epidemiology of Head Injury" in the volume _Head Injury,

Third Ed'n_ Cooper, P. ed., there are approximately 1,975,000 medically
attended head injuries in the US per year. Cycling is certainly NOT
leading the list of treated head injuries. In fact, it's near the
bottom.

Furthermore, most cycling head injuries are minor. So again, quit the
scaremongering tactics. Put cycling in a realistic context.

> > If you want to talk HI per hour, then adress the data I gave. Yes,
> > data's incomplete - but by the available data, cycling is NOT unusually
> > dangerous. Even among sporting activities.

> How come more people got treated, by far, for head injuries incurred
> while cycling when compared to sporting activities?

Obviously, because there are many more hours of cycling than there are
most other "sporting" activities. It seems odd that you'd pretend you
couldn't figure that out!

And again, even the definition you're using is faulty. Cycling is more
than a sport. It is recreation and it is transportation. Compare
cycling to walking, if you want a closer comparison. Better yet,
compare it with a wide range of activities, like motoring,
motorcycling, swimming, gardening, weightlifting, etc. When you do, it
compares extremely well.

> I think it's intellectually dishonest to accuse me of starting with a
> premise. You said "go find some data". I did. 70,000 diagnosed, treated
> head injuries in one year involving bikes is a lot.

It looks like a log only because America is a big country, where _all_
numbers are big. Again: nearly two _million_ people treated for head
injury per year in the US. 70,000 is a tiny, tiny portion of that.
Those who truly understand numbers can understand that.

Are you interested in head injury fatality data? Estimates vary, but
the same source I quoted above says there are 75,000 fatal head
injuries per year in the US. (Other sources claim higher numbers.)
But there are only about 700 bicycle fatalities from _all_ causes.
Definitely less than 1%.

Quit fearmongering. Put the numbers into comparative context, so
people can judge them correctly.

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/SafetyQuiz.htm

- Frank Krygowski